How about a G.I. Joe or Transformers RPG?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Note to moderators:

I couldn't decide if I should post here or in the "General Gaming" Forum. Feel free to move this thread.

I recently found out that a "My Little Pony" RPG had been posited as a joke. That actually could be a fun game for MLP fans (I'm not one.)

That got me thinking about other Hasbro properties that might make great RPG's. I was specifically thinking about Transformers and G.I Joe. The Transformers movies have been very succesful and the G.I Joe movie made a very respectable $150 million in American theaters.

Back in the 80's, I played D&D, Gamma World and Boot Hill. I also played a game based on the Indiana Jones movies and another based on the Ghostbusters! I think there are a lot of possibilites for creating new RPG's, or updating old ones.
Howdy beldinme,

I am going to move this over to RPGs General Discussion where it will be more on-topic.

Wizards of the Coast did produce short lived collectible card games based on G.I. Joe (which was a traditional CCG) and Transformers (which was a cardboard collectible building game similar to the Pirates game).

As for RPGs, during the 3rd edition era, Fantasy Flight Games produced a d20 supplement called Mechamorphosis which dealt with transforming robot characters.  There's never been an officially licensed RPG for either brand, however.    

All around helpful simian

Thanks for the info crazy_monkey!

I agree this is a better place for this thread.  

I was just curious since Hasbro owns so many popular game and toy brands. One could think of G.I. Joe as a specific spin-off of d20 Modern and Transformers as a specific spin-off of d20 Future.

GI Joe and Transformers could be the same game ... they've crossed over in comics more than once.  And yeah, I can't believe they haven't made a real MLP RPG.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Good point, Salla.

They even  crossed over a little bit in the 1980's cartoons. 

Additional trivia: Spiderman (believe it or not) made an appearance in the first few issues of the Transformers comic.  
Good point, Salla.

They even  crossed over a little bit in the 1980's cartoons. 

Additional trivia: Spiderman (believe it or not) made an appearance in the first few issues of the Transformers comic.  

Yep.  The TF comic was originally to be part of the Marvel Universe (there were references to Dazzler, and the Dinobots were unearthed in the Savage Land) ... then there was an abrupt editorial change-of-mind.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Actually there are a couple pony rpgs out now, and several games have official or major homebrew efforts that bring ponies into them

D20 legend for example has a download that allows you to play as any of the three major tribes from the 4th gen pony show. 

The d20 skype friendly pony game

mlpfanart.wikia.com/wiki/Pony_Tales:_Asp...

There's an open d6 game with the same name (no subtitle), but I can't find a particularly useful site for that one.
Interesting.

I love how much I learn about the gaming hobby (past and present) on these forums.
Sign In to post comments