CorpseJACKED

23 posts / 0 new
Last post

I feel as though Grisly Salvage isn't nearly as useful in this deck as it once it. I only have two cards that can be used from the graveyard, otherwise I risk trashing otherwise needed draws. Any suggestions for what to replace it with?

I also added Sheltering Word to counter whatever removal is attracted by Primordial Hydra/Lotleth Troll once they have start gaining a lot of +1/+1 counters. It not only saves me but will provide a decent amount of life-gain which is always a plus.

I also need suggestions for my sideboard. I have 1 Thragtusk if that would make any difference, since it seems to have uses in pretty much any green deck.

Decks that I've encountered so far: Reanimator (B and B/G/W), Jund, Humans, Bant, B/R aggro, and half the decks use Restoration Angel/Thragtusk. My main concern is how to get rid of Restoration Angel/prevent is from being cast.

Most Recent Update:
-2 Vampire Nighthawk
-1 Burst of Strength
-3 Sheltering Word
-1 Swamp
+2 Predator Ooze
+2 Vorapede
+2 Gyre Sage
+1 Woodland Cemetery
Hey, friends. Since Return to Ravnica was released, I've been toying with a bunch of different deck ideas. So far, one of my favorite cards is Corpsejack Menace (back in the day I had a crazy Solarion based deck, and this reminds me of it). Anyway, I usually just play Casual with my friend, but like to keep my deck aligned with the Standard format. This deck is still kind of all over the place, but I would like to center my strategy around Corpsejacking my creatures to absurd levels.

I feel like this deck is too all over the place right now. I'm on a pretty tight budget, so the more expensive cards I have one of are just random pulls from boosters and I probably can afford to buy any individually. I haven't seen anyone using Necropolis Regent in tandem with Corpsejack Menace, but I really liek how they work together. I would like more Young Wolves, but as of now I only have one. A 1-drop 1/1 that comes back as at least a 3/3 with one Corpsejack out? Awesome. Increasing Savagery also works really well with at least one Corpsejack out, I'd really like at least one more in here.

Junk Counters

The problem with Scavange is that Grafdriggers Cage and Rest In Peace exist. Going GWB gives you access to Gavony Township and Ajani, Caller of the Pride which can significantly pump your creatures. Necropolis Regent is fantastic, I use it with Counter Vamps. I would also advise dropping singletons, you probably wont see them most games. Deadbridge Goliath is fantastic as well, 4 for 5/5 and then scavanage after it dies is just a great value. 
Death's Presence combos very well with Corpsejack Menace. I learned that the hard way at the pre-release.
I run something similar and it works well.
I recommend using Lotleth Troll and Primordial Hydra as both have good synergy with Corpsejack.
A card you may want to consider is  Predator Ooze . It survives supreme verdict, and is most spot removal won't hit it(exceptions are Tragic Slip, Sever the Bloodline and Selesnya Charm when it get too big).
Desecration is either going to be abeast for you, or it's going to be awful.
I updated my deck significantly after several months of not playing. Looking for more help with the release of Gatecrash and all.
bump for swift justice (im playing fnm tomorrow and would like some advice)
bump again. updated after some advice i received last friday. looking for more still.
take a look at this cards

experiment one
lotleth troll
gyre sage
dreg mangler
predator ooze
deadbridge goliath
primordial hydra

i suggest to use 4 experiment one, 4 lotleth troll, if im going to use corpsejack menace, the deck should be made around +1/+1 counters, and the scavenge and evolve mechanic will surely maximize his capablity.

also maybe it would be better to stick into two colors... B/G or U/G

lets see if this curves well

t1 = experiment one
t2 = gyre sage , evolve experiment one 2/2 -- attack for 2
t3 = dreg mangler , evolve experiment one 3/3 , evolve gyre sage 2/3 -- attack for 3 + 3 + 2
t4 = corpsejack , evolve experiment one 5/5 , evolve gyre sage 4/5 -- attack for 3 + 5 + 4 = gg
t5 = primordial hyrda (for 6 - 5mana + 3 from gyre sage) 12/12 , evolve experiment one 7/7 , evolve gyre sage 6/7 -- attack for 3 + 7 + 4
t6 = upkeep primordial hydra 48/48 -- attack for 3 + 7 + 6 + 4 + 48 = gg

the troll is good since it can survive sweepers, it can also give a surprize finisher to your opponent if you're going for the scavenge. 

lets see

if you have corpsejack menace,troll and 5 lands on your side of the field, a dreg mangler on your hand. opponent is at 14 life, tapped out  and don't have blockers. discard dreg mangler on troll, 4/3, scavenge dreg mangler on troll , 10/9 -- attack for 10 + 4 = gg

another instance would be with deadbridge goliath, discard deadbridge goliath on troll, 4/3, scavenge deadbridge goliath to troll, 14/13 -- attack for 14 + 4.

just my imagination though. :D
You should look at Blood Artist I am currently working on a deck like this and having a couple of them out is amazing with all the sacking
take a look at this cards

experiment one
lotleth troll
gyre sage
dreg mangler
predator ooze
deadbridge goliath
primordial hydra

i suggest to use 4 experiment one, 4 lotleth troll, if im going to use corpsejack menace, the deck should be made around +1/+1 counters, and the scavenge and evolve mechanic will surely maximize his capablity.

also maybe it would be better to stick into two colors... B/G or U/G

lets see if this curves well

t1 = experiment one
t2 = gyre sage , evolve experiment one 2/2 -- attack for 2
t3 = dreg mangler , evolve experiment one 3/3 , evolve gyre sage 2/3 -- attack for 3 + 3 + 2
t4 = corpsejack , evolve experiment one 5/5 , evolve gyre sage 4/5 -- attack for 3 + 5 + 4 = gg
t5 = primordial hyrda (for 6 - 5mana + 3 from gyre sage) 12/12 , evolve experiment one 7/7 , evolve gyre sage 6/7 -- attack for 3 + 7 + 4
t6 = upkeep primordial hydra 48/48 -- attack for 3 + 7 + 6 + 4 + 48 = gg

the troll is good since it can survive sweepers, it can also give a surprize finisher to your opponent if you're going for the scavenge. 

lets see

if you have corpsejack menace,troll and 5 lands on your side of the field, a dreg mangler on your hand. opponent is at 14 life, tapped out  and don't have blockers. discard dreg mangler on troll, 4/3, scavenge dreg mangler on troll , 10/9 -- attack for 10 + 4 = gg

another instance would be with deadbridge goliath, discard deadbridge goliath on troll, 4/3, scavenge deadbridge goliath to troll, 14/13 -- attack for 14 + 4.

just my imagination though. :D

i already have lotleth troll and gyre sage, both great cards. i don't really care for the evolve mechanic too much, as most stuff i have will be coming in with power that's not much higher than experiment one's power, and lotleth troll has regenerate without losing power. i used to run dreg mangler and deadbridge, but i didn't find the scavenge mechanic all that useful either. the only way i could get them into the graveyard without playing them was through grisly salvage which would rarely happen, and i don't want to be using most of my mana on playing and then scavenging them, especially with so many other methods of getting counters out more cheaply. however, i really like predator ooze and primordial hydra. predator ooze might be difficult to play for three green mana, but i might run two. and primordial hydra is awesome, especially in conjuntion with corpsejack and essence harvest.

You should look at Blood Artist I am currently working on a deck like this and having a couple of them out is amazing with all the sacking

when i first thought about this i didn't really care for his ability because i don't have too many creatures dying, but then i realized if i play strangleroot, get it killed so it comes back with counters, i can bioshift them to other creatures and keep doing that, hopefully with a corpsejack out. i'll definitely consider throwing some in.
i didn't mentioned predator ooze because i think its slow.. it doesn't evolve experiment one and gyre sage... the only moment i can think it can be fast would be ramping it up with arbor elf and then followed up by an increasing savagery or after a creature died, with a hunger of the howlpack... but still it is a good target for scavenge or any +1/+1 counters...

actually... i don't think that the scavenge mechanic works like drop a creature, let it die then scavenge but more of a late game resource... or a sorcery spell if you can discard them for free  via something... 

i dont know about blood artist, how do you sac creatures...? the B/X variant that uses zombies combined with blood artist was to maximize the use of gravecrawlers and geralf's messengers, running them into blockers to trigger the lose 1, gain 1, then do it again...
i didn't mentioned predator ooze because i think its slow.. it doesn't evolve experiment one and gyre sage... the only moment i can think it can be fast would be ramping it up with arbor elf and then followed up by an increasing savagery or after a creature died, with a hunger of the howlpack... but still it is a good target for scavenge or any +1/+1 counters...

actually... i don't think that the scavenge mechanic works like drop a creature, let it die then scavenge but more of a late game resource... or a sorcery spell if you can discard them for free  via something... 

i dont know about blood artist, how do you sac creatures...? the B/X variant that uses zombies combined with blood artist was to maximize the use of gravecrawlers and geralf's messengers, running them into blockers to trigger the lose 1, gain 1, then do it again...

I re-read your earlier post and changed my mind, I really like the combo you presented so I made some changes. The games I'm playing are really fast and it's hard for my deck to keep up, but Experiment One helps me stay at the same pace as my opponent. And I forgot if I need to get some counters out I can discard Dreg Mangler to Lotleth Troll, get him a counter and then scavenge whatever I need. Anyway, here are my alterations.

- 1 Necropolis Regent
- 4 Unburial Rites
- 1 Strangleroot Geist
- 1 Tragic Slip
- 1 Undying Evil
+ 4 Dreg Mangler
+ 4 Experiment One

I'm not sure how I should fit in Primordial Hydra. Maybe drop the Golgari Charms? It helps clear tokens out quickly and can get rid of enchantments, but I don't see enchantments all that much when I play. So maybe put the swap the charms out for two hydras and sideboard the charms then?
I'm going out to buy some card today and would like some more opinions. Also any ideas on how to keep up with reanimator decks? This one guy at FNM plays one and he can win in like turns, I don't know how to keep up with that with my deck. Sever the bloodline for gravecrawler and Geralf's messenger?
The problem with Scavange is that Grafdriggers Cage and Rest In Peace exist. 

As far as i understand it, you can still use scavenge because it's not casting the spell but is more of an activated ability which the cage wouldn't prohibit. I could be wrong but it's just how i read the card.

@OP- you should be running at least 20 lands in your deck and most of them should be forest to make the arbor elf work more efficiently. Something like this would be appropriate. Otherwise i suggest dropping the arbor elf's.

4x overgrown tomb
4x woodland cemetery
2x golgari guildgate
10x forest
yup... grafdigger's cage won't prohibit the use of scavenge since its an activated ability.

you can use the cage to counter reanimator decks or things such as gravecrawlers or geralf's messengers or maybe use 1 of the golgari's rare card deathrite shaman.. its expensive though...
The problem with Scavange is that Grafdriggers Cage and Rest In Peace exist. 

As far as i understand it, you can still use scavenge because it's not casting the spell but is more of an activated ability which the cage wouldn't prohibit. I could be wrong but it's just how i read the card.

@OP- you should be running at least 20 lands in your deck and most of them should be forest to make the arbor elf work more efficiently. Something like this would be appropriate. Otherwise i suggest dropping the arbor elf's.

4x overgrown tomb
4x woodland cemetery
2x golgari guildgate
10x forest

I didn't even realize I only had 17 lands... Bumped that up to 20. I'm working on getting shocklands, etc. but they're a bit too pricey for me right now.

yup... grafdigger's cage won't prohibit the use of scavenge since its an activated ability.

you can use the cage to counter reanimator decks or things such as gravecrawlers or geralf's messengers or maybe use 1 of the golgari's rare card deathrite shaman.. its expensive though...

I actually have one Deathrite from a booster luckily. I wasn't aware of how useful he could be against reanimator (for some reason I thought I could only use his ability on my turn) and I learned his resourcefulness the hard way last night
how did the deck go..?
how did the deck go..?

It worked... Kind of. I can't remember every matchup but I had trouble against r/g aggro. First round I won but it was close. Then he boarded in grafdiggers cage which messed with my geists and undying evil. With that gone and my inability to draw a lotleth troll the second two round ended pretty quickly.

Another round i was against this guy who i think was playing bant. He had the thragtusk/restoration angel combo going, sever for corpsejack, and a bunch of spirit tokens coming out.

Last round i was against a guy running golgari reanimator. He used jarad with gravecrawler to slowly deal damage and block everything i threw at him. It was close but in the third round he won.

It was rough but gave me alme inspiration. I picked up cages and a pithing needle for my sideboard. Also i got some overgrown tombs on sale as well as breeding pools because im considering splashing blue (inspired by niches deck) to help early game so ill be updating my deck quite a bit once i have time to go pick up some cards
R/X aggro decks are so fast, especially if they have the burning-tree shaman... we cannot outrace them... the only thing I can suggest is to side in bigger threats but I don't think its good because of the Boros Reckoner, maybe some solid removal like abrupt decay or ultimate price that can take care of some creatures...

the reanimator decks won't be a problem if you have cards for graveyard hate. on the control type of decks just keep pushing for threats...
R/X aggro decks are so fast, especially if they have the burning-tree shaman... we cannot outrace them... the only thing I can suggest is to side in bigger threats but I don't think its good because of the Boros Reckoner, maybe some solid removal like abrupt decay or ultimate price that can take care of some creatures...

the reanimator decks won't be a problem if you have cards for graveyard hate. on the control type of decks just keep pushing for threats...

Yeah I plan picking up two more abrupt decay, though I'm not sure what to take out for them. I'm considering removing the arbor elves since ill now have shocklands and Im running four trolls but I feel like they're still useful. 

I picked up the cages for reanimator which I can swap with geists because they won't be as useful without undying. I'm also gonna add a deathrite for additional graveyard hate to my sideboard. Would disciple of bolas have any place in this deck? And yeah with control I just present all my threats as fast as possible and will have decay for detention sphere and such.

I was thinking of swapping the nighthawks with vorapede because I'm picking up three so I can try out niches deck. I usually don't pull nighthawks until late game and they're not as useful unless I beef them up a bit which takes too much time in many situations. Also I was considering switching increasing savagery for hunger of the howlpack or burst of strength because they're much cheaper and have the morbid or untap benefits.

a final question, I got a pithing needle the other day for my sideboard, but I'm not sure the best cards to play it against?
Made some updates to my deck. I did pretty well at FNM tonight, I went 2-2, the last game caught me off guard becuase my opponent kept blinking Acidic Slime to destroy the few lands I had drawn.

First game I played R/G/W Humans it seemed. I lost both rounds pretty quickly to Champion of the Parish, Mayor of Avabruck, and the 1/1 creatures that get +2/+2 when two other creatures attack with them. I was getting ineffective draws so there's not much to report there.

Second game was against R/B aggro of some kind. He played several Vexing Devils but I took the 4 to get rid of them and with Strangleroot, Mangler, and Lotleth I managed to easily outspeed him both rounds.

Third game was against Jund. Round one I got Predator Ooze out turn 3 while he had some negligible creature on the board. I popped an Increasing Savagery next turn, and that was pretty much game. Round two I don't exactly recall but it was pretty much a shutout. For some reason my deck picked up ridiculous speed and I could pull a turn 5 win.

Last game was against R/G/W but I'm not sure what kind of deck he was using. Round 1 he used an Assemble the Legion which ultimately cost me the game. I sided in the Charms and Duress, but were not needed round 2 because I had a Strangleroot with two Corpsejacks out, it died and came back a 6/5 and he had only two Thragtusk on the board while I also had two Manglers to boot. Round 3 was rough. He played Acidic Slime turn 3 and destroyed one of my tombs. Next turn, I had no lands to play, he blinked the Slime, and I was down to one land. Next turn, still no land and that cost me the game.

After the last game I realized that I need something to stop the use of Restoration Angels, as they're incredibly popular in my local metagame. Mostly it's just used on Thragtusk which I can handle, but the Slimes wrecked me and I don't know what else people might be blinking. Also, I changed my deck a bit after the tournament was over. I picked up the two Vorapede to replace Nighthawk for better late-game strategy. Gyre Sage and Predator Ooze were both pre-FNM additions but both proved incredibly useful. I'd like to add two more Gyres but absolutely no card store near me has any. Anyway, any strategy to be used against Restos and Humans would be appreciated. I'm also looking to replace Grisly Salvage and would like some new suggestions.
For battle against midrange decks, in particular the ones you mentioned with resto and team, try appetite for brains in th SB. Also i don't see any victim of night which is great against most decks and if humans are getting you down then try human frailty for the SB as well.
yeah.. appetite for brains is for those 4cc and above or maybe try ultimate price.. not of the best removal...  but im thinking of murder or sever the bloodline...

is the essence harvest working for you..?
Sign In to post comments