Post Rotation Werewolf

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey there. With the rotation, my deck's lost a few choice trinkets, and I'm looking to the future, and Gatecrash, to try and keep the deck on par with the local tribes and hunters, who arn't so keen on being bitten to death. Below is the bare bones, back to basics deck I'm running at the moment. It's simple, yet effective, and does what it is supposed to - hit hard. 

Lands 22

4X Evolving Wilds 
4X Rootbound Crag
7X Mountain
7X Forest

Creatures 16

4X Mayor of Avabruck
4X Immerwolf
4X Instigator Gang
2X Reckless Waif
2X Young Wolf 

Spells 16

4X Bramblecrush
4X Searing Spear
4X Wild Guess
4X Street Spasm

Enchantments 4

4X Full Moon's Rise 

As the deck stands above, it has 58 cards. Several considerations have been made about the things we do know about Gatecrash. When it is released, the Evolving Wilds will be suredly replaced with a playeset of Stomping Ground. That should sort my mana base out permanently. 

Without Slice in Twain, I'm lacking instant speed removal, and whilst Bramblecrush is going to be a very potent card with planeswalkers becoming more popular and ever present, I still feel the deck needs something else. I am considering edging into token production more, so that, with Stomping Ground, I can risk Sundering Growth - although perhaps that might appear in the sideboard.

Street Spasm and Searing Spear provides more than enough burn, with the former offering Overload, and thus a way around the eternally loathed Hexproof. I will return Farseek to the deck, more than likely, with Gatecrash, though if the type of the Keyrune for Gruul happens to be wolf or beast, that will find it's way into the deck instead.

I guess what I'm asking is, what is it missing, folks? Cheers.
I know it's an expenisve suggestion, but Huntmaster of the Fells would be a critical addition to your deck as it gives you Wolf Tokens and Life, and then flips  for damage and Trample. Daybreak Ranger is another fantastic werewolf and it deals with fliers.

Spell wise I would say Mizzium Mortars is much better than Street Spasm and it comes in the Izzet Intro pack as well as the Rakdos Event Deck. Giant Growth could also be a fantastic add either to make your creatures get to the red zone or to defend against being pushed into the red. 

Some things I noticed about your deck is the lack of ways to deal with Enchantments and Artifacts. Oblivion Ring and Detention Sphere are still very popular leading decks like Bant Control/Azorius Control/Bant Aggro, etc. Intangible Virture is going to last and drive Junk Tokens and Selesnya Tokens   advancements. Bamblecrash is an okay card but paying four mana to stop what could be considered a "lord" or to deal with a 3CMC enchantment isn't mana efficent. Wild Guess isn't that great, Garruk, Primal Hunter does a better job at filling your hand back up and providing creatures. Garruk Relentless provides you with Wolf Tokens that get a power up from Immerwolf. 

Short of that, I like your deck and I do think that Gruul will be a big help and bringing it into the fray when Gatecrash arrives.   
With a lack of Moonmist in here you are either completely relying on your opponent not casting spells on some turns or you are slowing yourself down in wasting a turn possibly just attacking, and have you even considered possibly adding some Kessig Wolf Run? I think that a werewolf deck works best when it's only non-werewolf is Immerwolf, and there are plenty of cards that can be used to replace your young wolves, though I can see why you would want them since they have undying.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

What do I see you ask? I see dead people, all of them burned to a crisp... I was bored.
I agree wholeheartedly with Moonmist and Huntmaster of the Fells, though I understand Huntmasters might be out of the question.  Mondronen Shaman could make a good four drop.  I'm building a werewolf deck myself, and I'm going to try abusing Champion of Lambholt and Fungal Sprouting.  Good luck!
Right then. To work, and to war! *cough*.

First off:

-1 Forest
-1 Mountain
+2 Kessig Wolf Run

I've been putting off buying these for so long now, but after getting them dirt cheap on Magic Online, and getting to playtest them in Classic Gruul, they really are worth every penny. They also give me something to do with the mana I have whilst triggering Transform, which is another asset worth having.

The reason I don't have Huntmaster isn't just because of cost. I am loathe to take up slots on cards that are working against the deck. Whilst I appreciate entering, and flipping once will net a mana effective result, Immerwolf is such a potent card when working alongside Mayor of Avabruck and Instigator Gang that it's difficult for me to quantify getting a hold of some. If I did, it'd be 2 at most, so I'll try and see if I can trade for some with trade bait (I'm looking at you, Angel of Serenity).

Removing Bramblecrush entirely, and adding Naturalize (an all round quicker, and better sideboard option), frees up the 4 mana slot for Instigator/Huntmaster, and means I'm now working with more free slots.

The loss of Crush means I'm balancing the colours now between and , so Wild Guess is a liability, and Abundant Growth fits nicely into the deck to provide card draw, and to enchant Kessig Wolf Run to avoid any mana problems adding it might cause.

-4 Bramblecrush
-4 Wild Guess
+4 Wild Guess 

I'm a bit gobsmacked I neglected Moonmist, that was a massive oversight on my part. However, 4 in a deck has caused problems before - whilst it acts, at worst, as a Fog, holding off mana when I could be, as you say, burning my way to victory seems counter productive - it'd be folly not to take it, though:

+4 Moonmist 

Balancing out the burn base, I want to keep Street Spasm, but can't deny the strength and direct bluntness of Mizzium Mortars. Easy fix is to take a mix of both - flames for every occaision! Finally, to top off, I picked up, finally, my second Garruk yesterday, so he fills the deck out to 62, my sweetspot.

Lands 22

4X Evolving Wilds 
4X Rootbound Crag
6X Mountain
6X Forest
2X Kessig Wolf Run

Creatures 18

4X Mayor of Avabruck
4X Immerwolf
4X Instigator Gang
2X Huntmaster of the Fells
2X Reckless Waif
2X Young Wolf 

Spells 16

4X Searing Spear
4X Abundant Growth
2X Street Spasm
4X Moonmist
2X Mizzium Mortars

Enchantments 4

4X Full Moon's Rise  

Planeswalkers 2

2X Garruk Relentless 

Sideboard

4X Pithing Needle
2X Tormod's Crypt
4X Naturalize

5 slots remain for the sideboard. Once gravehate and anti-enchant/artifact are in, I'm usually at a loss. Ideas? Thanks everyone so far!
Abundant Growth doesn't give you card draw, it just replaces itself. Which while is nice, you really shouldn't be needing that much color fixing.

I'd also run more 1-drops to give you higher odds of actually having something to do on turn 1 and 2. Wolfbitten Captive and/or more Waifs.