Is this too broken?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was thinking i should make his regenerate all creatures ability cost 6 instead of 4.. Or maybe making it cost less but make him tap instead of just paying mana.

the "if ~ would be put into a graveyard regenerate it" is a problem
if he gets -1/-1 [let's say through Mutilate since he has shroud] -- he would die; regeneration won't save him from that
same for sacrifice [go with Cruel Edict to get around the shroud] -- sacrificing causes to go into graveyard; and you can't regenerate around it
I'm confused, are you suggesting that i should make him more broken by taking out the regenerate and putting in something that just puts him back on the battlefield? My goal for this card was to make it balanced.. Sure you can't target him and he regenerates but its not hard to get past that.
i'm saying that using the phrase "would be put into the graveyard" is very confusing
that also includes if you're discarding him or he's milled off the top of your deck
it's just kinda a rules mess

i think cleaning it up to "if ~ would be dealt lethal damage, regenerate it" would be a better idea
you avoid all these rules problems but still get your (apparently) intended effect
You misunderstand how regenerate works. When you regenerate a creature, it creates a protective bubble around the creature. If that creature would be destroyed, instead it isn't. (It also becomes tapped and gets removed from combat, but that's not important to this discussion.) That means effects that say "destroy" are replaced by regeneration, as well as effects that mark damage on a creature greater than its toughness. (In that last case, the game itself is destroying the creature.) Effects that regenerate can't prevent include sacrifice, -x/-x, and anything else that would move a creature from the battlefield to the graveyard without destroying it. 

Thus, your card's second ability should just read "Skyles, Lord of the Undead is indestructible," which has the same effect save for some minute corner cases.
Skyles, Lord of the Undead (Always start with the main color of a wedge.)

Legendary Creature--Wizard (Zombie?)

Shroud (y u no hexproof?)

At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player draws a card, then discards a card.

If ~ dies, return it to the battlefield.

: Regenerate all creatures you control.

Oracle-izing is in blue. Comments are in red.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
It'd actually be "When ~ dies,...". "If" denotes a replacement effect, but you're describing a triggered event.
There, hows that.

Line breaks are useful between abilities.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Except with that wording you're regenerating him when he's already left the battlefield, which I don't think works the way you want it to.

Just make it easy on yourself

: Regenerate Skyles, Lord of the Undead

Easy, works, and since he has shroud you can't Arrest him to prevent it.
Again, the regenerate ability is a prevention method. It might seem unintuitive, but you have to regenerate a creature before it would be destroyed. All regeneration does is prevent the creature from being destroyed; it doesn't bring the creature back from the graveyard.
Forget regenerate...just make him indestructible.
I can't say anything that hasn't already been said except thext cards are your friend.
Forget regenerate...just make him indestructible.

I think that the Regenerate would actually help over Indestructible since he wants to try and balance it.

With Indestructible it can stand up to anything other than Sacrifice, Exile, -X, and Bounce.

With Regenerate it is still very resilient, but it gets tapped if dealt lethal damage, and some destroy effects will still kill it.
I think a lot of people around here agree that indestructible should phase out regenerate. They both cover the same design space, but indestructible is more intuitive and can be easily written as an attribute rather than needing to be activated and triggered.
The third ability can always be worded the same as Mossbridge Troll's regeneration ability.

If Skyles, Lord of the Undead would be destroyed, regenerate it.

I believe that will give Jewbagmcjigglebunnie what they want without the need for indestructibility or any wierd stuff.

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

Is the only difference between: "is indestructible" and "If it would be destroyed, regenerate it." the difference in wording between Wrath of God and Day of Judgment? Or are there other things I'm missing?
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Again, the regenerate ability is a prevention method. It might seem unintuitive, but you have to regenerate a creature before it would be destroyed. All regeneration does is prevent the creature from being destroyed; it doesn't bring the creature back from the graveyard.

mossbridge troll FYI, you can make regeneration a replacement effect

you could even do that here. just use "would be destroyed" instead of "would die" so you don't have issues of infinite replacement against an opposing infest. or you could do the activated ability costing , whatever man do what you want.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Is the only difference between: "is indestructible" and "If it would be destroyed, regenerate it." the difference in wording between Wrath of God and Day of Judgment? Or are there other things I'm missing?

That and there are also cases such as Simoon, Thrashing Wumpus, and Plague Wind where you can use them to get Skyles out of the way (even if only temporarily) without hurting your own creatures if it has regeneration, but you cannot if it is indestructible.

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

To nitpick on flavor: "each player draws X cards, then discards X cards", the "Looting" ability, is a distinctly red effect nowadays. Green as a color has little to do with draw/discard unless it has to do directly with creatures (i.e. Soul of the Harvest, Packleader). Your card has neither, not to mention the abilities don't resonate with the name/art/type in terms of flavor. So to make your creation more authentic, you may consider tweaking it--at least change the looting ability to something in-color.

Anyways, playability-wise, I don't think he is very strong or desirable to play. I mean, his across-the-board regeneration is nice, but IMO it's too narrow to justify playing as a 1/1 for 3 that happens to be tough on mana. The draw effect is a bonus, although colorwise inappropriate and benefits opponents too much for my liking.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Your name makes me think troll. So I will.