Any Good Izzet Delver Decks?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been working on my own brew of Izzet Delver. I'm not quite satisfied yet. Curious if anyone else has built a fairly successful Izzet Delver deck and what that looks like. Here is a link to my own. Would love any feedback you guys can give me.

www.mtgnoob.com/2012/10/izzet-delver-2nd...

deck help

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I tried around 20 different variations of Izzet Delver when testing for states.

And honestly, I would say no. Without Ponder, it's just too inconsistent. You can get lucky and have the deck work like it should, but more times than not your Delver sits to far frm the top of the deck or remains unflipped and gets you nowjere. And losing Mana Leak super hurts the deck. Plus, all the value is on creatures now, so they are going to outrace you value wise.

The more you playtest it, the more you realize that Delver is now the weakest card in the deck. And nothign Izzet bringings to the table helps the Delver deck too much. a more traditional UW Delver build is a better choice because you get access to Geist and oRing
Honestly, the question in my mind is are there any good Izzet Nivmagus Elemental decks. That's the question on my mind!
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Nivmagus Elemental is anti-counter tech.

Counters are bad this format. 
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

I played mine last FNM and it was bad... it would work sometimes and be completely and utterly brutal... then sometimes it would suck so bad it would hurt.

Best match was against a G/W midrange and I had just gotten two guttersnipes on the board.  He had the big pecker worm out and it's token and a centar healer out.  I was gonna loose next turn probably.  So pulled my top card, Think Twice.   Played it, got a land and did 4 damage.  Flashed it back and did 4 more damage.  Drew my Artful Dodge, played it on one of the snipes, then flashed it back on the other snipe for 8 more damage.  Then swung for 4 and since he was sitting at 19 life that was game in one turn.

It would have been a completely wonderful deck if it was consistant but it is not at the moment.
I'm working on a Nivmagus deck... but really its just Burning Vengeance with Nivmagus, Snapcaster, and Electromancers and think twice and ravings and even geistflame. I wish pillar had flashback. Fail.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

And honestly, I would say no. Without Ponder, it's just too inconsistent. You can get lucky and have the deck work like it should, but more times than not your Delver sits to far frm the top of the deck or remains unflipped and gets you nowjere. And losing Mana Leak super hurts the deck. Plus, all the value is on creatures now, so they are going to outrace you value wise.

The more you playtest it, the more you realize that Delver is now the weakest card in the deck. And nothign Izzet bringings to the table helps the Delver deck too much. a more traditional UW Delver build is a better choice because you get access to Geist and oRing

You mentioned that without Ponder it didn't work as well. What about index? I know it does not give you the draw mechanic or the shuffle, but it's similar in effect right?

You mentioned that without Ponder it didn't work as well. What about index? I know it does not give you the draw mechanic or the shuffle, but it's similar in effect right?

similar in effect but it does quite suck because of the lack of draw or shuffle. When Indexing, if the top 5 cards are crap like say all land... well your stuck with it and you can't get your draw.  The only way I would even think of running this was if you were still trying to make delver work but in this set now, delver might not be a good option with 3 drop 4/4's and crazy stuff like that.
If your set on running izzet delver then check out caleb durward's deck from scg cincy... He placed 19th with the deck your looking for and that might just be as close as the build is going to get to being good... as much as i want to run guttersnipe it just isnt very good right now im going to keep working on it though
I played mine last FNM and it was bad... it would work sometimes and be completely and utterly brutal... then sometimes it would suck so bad it would hurt.

Best match was against a G/W midrange and I had just gotten two guttersnipes on the board.  He had the big pecker worm out and it's token and a centar healer out.  I was gonna loose next turn probably.  So pulled my top card, Think Twice.   Played it, got a land and did 4 damage.  Flashed it back and did 4 more damage.  Drew my Artful Dodge, played it on one of the snipes, then flashed it back on the other snipe for 8 more damage.  Then swung for 4 and since he was sitting at 19 life that was game in one turn.

It would have been a completely wonderful deck if it was consistant but it is not at the moment.

Thats my point, that's not a Delver deck, it's a Guttersnipe deck.

Thats my point, that's not a Delver deck, it's a Guttersnipe deck.

You are correct.  It was originally made to be a cheaper delver deck.... but the delver actually fell on it's face and the guttersnipe is the only thing that really pulled me though. So it was originally made to be a delver... but it didn't work so it became a gutter deck
Negate is not MD worthy
19 lands + only 4 cantrips = bad. 

your correct, in this format Essesense Scour (sp?) it a lot better since almost all decks out right now are creature based.

Also I've heard the term cantrips thrown around, is that stuff like think twice and thought scour , cheap stuff that draws you a card?
Yes it is Tyner. It also describes anything that says "Draw a card," such as Inaction Injunction. But specifically only one card, as the "draw a card" effect is worth less than one mana (hence why cards that cost 1 mana and draw you a card usually do something else, ie. Ponder, Gitaxian Probe, Peek, Sleight of Hand, Preordain, etc.)

(at)MrEnglish22

Nivmagus Elemental is anti-counter tech.

Counters are bad this format. 

Cause a good counter does not exist in this format.

Decks I play
Show
Legacy TezzFinityLegacy BurnModern Infect(need to break it) T2-dead
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
Yes, but DOES HE PEE COLOURLESS MANA?
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
Serra Angel Serra Sphinx Serra Spider Though Vigilance is a poor fit for red, so I'm not sure if we'll ever see Serra Dragon. I could see Serra Demon, though.
Black Serra creature would have vigilance and fear. It would basically be Batman.
[//sblock]
Try this list.  It's not quite as powerful as UW delver but it's much cheeper and a little more agressive

Guttersnipe
Delver of Secrets
Nivmagus Elemental

3 Izzet Charm
1 Syncopate
2 Think Twice
2 Dissipate
3 Pillar of Flame
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Unsummon
4 Thought Scour
3 Inaction Injunction