Wanting opinions and help with an EDH deck idea.

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi I'm working on building this penta-colored dragon deck that utililizes all ten of the tri-colored dragons what I have figured out so far is as below. Any recommendations for the deck would be helpful. Note: I'm trying to do this on a slight budjet. And some cards I'm not sure about. This is also my first thread so I don't know how to do any fancy stuff with the deck list. Thanks in Advance.

1 x Scion of the Ur-Dragon

1 x Crosis, the Purger
1 x Darigaaz, the Igniter
1 x Intet, the Dreamer
1 x Numot, the Devastator
1 x Oros, the Avenger
1 x Rith, the Awakener
1 x Teneb, the Harvester
1 x Treva, the Renewer
1 x Vorosh, the Hunter
1 x Utvara Hellkite
1 x Hellkite Overlord
1 x Hellkite Charger
1 x Bladewing the Risen
1 x Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
1 x Pilgrim's Eye
1 x Solemn Simulacrum
1 x Flameblast Dragon
1 x Dragonspeaker Shaman
1 x Etched Monstrosity
1 x Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
1 x Dragon Tyrant
1 x Nicol Bolas
1 x Weathered Wayfarer
1 x Kilnmouth Dragon

1 x Chromatic Lantern
1 x Reito Lantern
1 x Darksteel Ingot
1 x Coalition Relic
1 x Dreamstone Hedron
1 x Vessel of Endless Rest
1 x Manalith
1 x Quicksilver Amulet
1 x Fellwar Stone
1 x Gem of Becoming
1 x Elixir of Immortality
1 x Izzet Signet
1 x Gruul Signet
1 x Orzhov Signet
1 x Golgari Signet
1 x Azorious Signet
1 x Amulet of Vigor

1 x Debtors' Knell
1 x Prismatic Omen

1 x Blue Sun's Zenith
1 x Consume the Meek
1 x Cauldron Dance

1 x Diabolic Tutor
1 x Beacon of Tomorrows
1 x Beacon of Unrest
1 x Living Death
1 x Patriarch's Bidding
1 x Praetor's Counsel
1 x Profane Command
1 x Regrowth
1 x Relentless Assault
1 x Time Stretch
1 x Time Warp
1 x Time of Need
1 x Sylvan Scrying
1 x Shard Convergence

1 x Clifftop retreat
1 x Dragonskull summit
1 x Drowned Catacomb
1 x Glacial Fortress
1 x Isolated Chapel
1 x Rootbound Crag
1 x Sulfur Falls
1 x Sunpetal Grove
1 x Woodland Cemetery
1 x Hinterland Harbor
1 x Ancient Ziggurat
1 x Exotic Orchard
1 x Reflecting Pool
2 x Island
1 x Swamp
2 x Mountain
1 x Forest
1 x Plains
1 x Command Tower
1 x Mosswort Bridge
1 x Thran Quarry
1 x Glimmervoid
1 x Vivid Crag
1 x Vivid Marsh
1 x Vivid Grove
1 x Vivid Creek
1 x Vivid Meadow
1 x Rupture Spire
1 x Terramorphic Expanse
1 x Transguild Promenade
1 x Evolving Wilds
1 x Jungle Shrine
1 x Savage Lands
1 x Seaside Citadel
1 x Crumbling Necropolis
1 x Arcane Sanctum
Hard to tell for sure without autocard or /deck in place, but it seems like you will run into the same issue my Cromat deck has, namely so many lands that come in tapped that between a need for certain colors and the entering tapped, you are effectively 2 mana behind where you'd be with a deck with fewer colors. And again, the same issue as my Cromat deck: Large CMC creatures will leave you looking naked for several turns, then you'll only be able to get out one creature per turn. And due to their combination of size and threatening abilities, they will be targets for removal.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Hard to tell for sure without autocard or /deck in place, but it seems like you will run into the same issue my Cromat deck has, namely so many lands that come in tapped that between a need for certain colors and the entering tapped, you are effectively 2 mana behind where you'd be with a deck with fewer colors. And again, the same issue as my Cromat deck: Large CMC creatures will leave you looking naked for several turns, then you'll only be able to get out one creature per turn. And due to their combination of size and threatening abilities, they will be targets for removal.

I couldn't figure out how to get the autocard works, but hopefully the links will help at least. Thanks once again for any of your words of advice.
For indiviual cards, it is [ c ]card name[ / c ], without the sapces between the ['s and c's.
For entire decks, it is:
[ deck ]
1x card name
1x card name
etc...
[ /deck ]
Again without the spaces. If a line of text in the deck format does not have a "(number)x)", then it will not autocard that line. For example:

I personally find the deck function easier to use, though listing cards individually is easier ifyou want to add comments on given cards.

Other than that, I stick to what I said before, but add that Long Term Plans is pretty weak given that you have access to all of black's tutors and all of blue'scard draw....why go with this one?

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

For any 5 color deck you need a solid mana base otherwise you will spend more time watching others than actually playing. Triple lands and bounce lands are okay and all but they can set you several turns behind and throw off your curve. I have a deck listed at the other end of this link that is 5 color. I am able to race other mono and 2 colored deck with few/no problems and no real issues aganst other 5 color lists community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Cut the creatures that make mana. Play 5 enemy colored signets. Cut the guild gates and run 10 basics 2 of each. The trilands from alara are great. Darksteel ingot. the new chromatic lantern is great for this.

Cultivate and other green ramp spells might be inconsistent. I would stick to colorless ramp. Solemn simulacrum, wayfarer's bauble ...other artifacts that make mana and aren't creatures.

3DH4LIF3

Thanks for the recommendataion's with card's and the deck's format for easier reading. I've pulled the Long-Term Plans for a Blue Sun's Zenith , and Alloy Myr for Solemn Simulacrum . I ahve also pulled the guildgates. I will think about pulling the green mana ramp spells, and the Bird of Paradise for other stuff. I will also look into the Alara triple lands.

Cut the creatures that make mana. Play 5 enemy colored signets. Cut the guild gates and run 10 basics 2 of each. The trilands from alara are great. Darksteel ingot. the new chromatic lantern is great for this. Cultivate and other green ramp spells might be inconsistent. I would stick to colorless ramp. Solemn simulacrum, wayfarer's bauble ...other artifacts that make mana and aren't creatures.

By the 5 enemy colored signets do you mean the guild signets like Izzet Signet or do you mean something completely different?
He means opposing colors, so you'd want Izzet Signet and Golgari Signet, but not Rakdos Signet or Selesnya Signet. Presumably because it is easier to get dual lands of colors next to each other like B/R and G/W.

Pilgrim's Eye would be a help.

Green ramp is usually best, but in a five color deck you run the risk of having a green ramp spell and no green mana with which to use it. That is where the warnings about green are coming from.

Meteor Crater seems pointless.....if you already have a permanent of that color in play, then you already have that color of mana. It doesn't help you when your hand is full of black and green spells and all you have is red, white, and blue lands.

Finally, a minor help could be adding a Poliferate item like Contagion Clasp or Contagion Engine to keep counters on your Vivid lands and Gemstone Mine.

Kaalia of the Vast can help drop Dragons. Sarkhan the Mad can provide some support. Kilnmouth Dragon can gain 3 +1/+1 counters for each Dragon you reveal.
I think I'd run Manalith over Khalni Gem.  I like the idea of playing with all of these kickass dragons, but will it actually work?  I'd be eager to find out.  Do you have any Shock lands?  You could run those, then stuff like Armillary Sphere and Gem of Becoming would be good to include. Also, Fellwar Stone and perhaps Quicksilver Amulet.  The latter could help get your dragons out regardless of you're color limitations at the time, just as long as you can generate 4.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Do you have any Shock lands?  You could run those, then stuff like !Armillary Sphere! and Gem of Becoming would be good to include.

Must nitpick...Armillary Sphere won't work with Rav shock lands.  Instead, run Zendikar fetch lands, three of which are listed, to search for them, OP.
A couple of dual shocklands that count as Plains can be fetch by Gift of Estates. Shard Convergence and Sylvan Scrying can help.
Do you have any Shock lands?  You could run those, then stuff like !Armillary Sphere! and Gem of Becoming would be good to include.

Must nitpick...Armillary Sphere won't work with Rav shock lands.  Instead, run Zendikar fetch lands, three of which are listed, to search for them, OP.

Oh yeah.  I stand corrected.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Gaea's Blessing is all-star in a deck like this, though be wary of deck and graveyard destruction. Counter measures to that, like Elixir of Immortality can prove quite important in a deck that can be really damaged by that sort of hate.

Those preparations aside, I think Kaalia of the Vast could really find a home here.
http://thedailydungeon.blogspot.com/ My Daily D&D blog - cities, dungeons, NPC's, and more
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've added the stuff that you all have suggested. I have not dealt with the fetch lands or shock lands, yet. My main problem with shock lands at the moment is that they are a bit pricey, but it will probably be a good investment in the future. I am thinking about adding the other obelisks instead of the guild signets. Also the total deck count is 99 not counting basic lands, so cutting cards from the deck will also be important suggestions.
Dont play obelisks over signets. If you want three drop mana producers there are a good half dozen that make any color.

3DH4LIF3

Agree with niheloim. If you want 3CC Mana Fixers consider Chromatic Lantern and Darksteel Ingot.

I'd also suggest the Talismans from Mirrordin. Stuff like Talisman of Indulgence.
You can drop Jungle Shrine, Savage Lands, Seaside Citadel, or Crumbling Necropolis.

Experiment with Lairs. Crosis's Catacombs, Darigaaz's Caldera, Dromar's Cavern, Rith's Grove, Treva's Ruins. You can bounce a tapped non-Lair land and Lairs enter the battlefield untapped. So you really don't lose any ground.
I play Celestial Dawn in my 5 color deck, it is a great mana fixer and it will mess with people that have swords of ...

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!

Amulet of vigor is aweome, I used it in Slivers until I got Duals and Shocks. You can trinket mage for it and transmute for it with Dizzy spell not to mention just tutor it up.
Balefire Dragon is good at crowd control. If he get a hit on the opponent he'll deliver a 6 damage spread on their creatures.

Bladewing's Thrall a 3/3 with Flying that comes back from the graveyard each time you bring a Dragon into play.

Shields of Velis Vel before bringing Tyrant of Jund out.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! The deck is coming along nicely in design. I'm quite sure that I just need to make a few cuts from the deck, and I will be ready to build this deck. I have made quite a few edits. If I didn't use one of your suggestions it was probably that the suggstion was to small of a concept to use, or I just didn't want to use it. Thanks for all of your help.