RDW vs Selesnya Midrange/Jund Midrange

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, I'm a boros player but since gatecrash is still few months away so I'm doing RDW...cuz i don't like slow decks...

Anyway decklist

Land x 22
2x Hellion Crucible
20x Mountain

Creatures x 25

4x Vexing Devil
4x Rakdos Cackler
4x Ash Zealot
4x Lightning Mauler
2x Zealous Conscripts
2x Hellrider
4x Gore-House Chainwalker
1x Thundermaw Hellkite

Instants + Sorceries x 13

4x Pillar of Flame
4x Searing Spear
2x Mizzium Mortars
2x Brimstone Volley
1x Thunderous Wrath

Sideboard + Maybe List
2x Guttersnipe
4x Furor of the Bitten
2x Fervor
1x Thundermaw Hellkite
2x Vandalblast
4x Stonewright
4x Stromkirk Noble
4x Rakdos Shred-Freak
4x Traitorous Blood
4x Curse of the Pierced Heart
2x Curse of Bloodletting4x [c]Thunderbolt
4x Electrickery
4x Flames of the Firebrand
4x Annihilating Fire
2x Nightbird's Clutches

I could buy some more thunderous wrath I guess...bonfire outta the budget range right now lol...same as rakdos zombies (gravecrawler/geralf's messenger/aristocrats too expensive! :S) so not running any black..

Anyway, my main problem vs those 2 types of decks is Thragtusk....this card is just so broken in so many ways...with selesnya they can just do Restoration Angel + Centaur Healer + Thragtusk + Trostani, Selesnya's Voice..and of course Loxodon Smiter + Rancor and I simply can't do enough damage to kill them...kinda hard counter to RDW...

In Jund, main problems are Thragtusk...(gawd I hate this guy)...Huntmaster of the Fells and Olivia Voldaren....I think you get the gist of my post...

Basically how to tweak RDW so that Thragtusk becomes less of an issue? If this is solved then I'd be so happy lol...

I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
For starters i would drop Zealous and Thundermaw since you don't want the game to go that long, and add a 3rd hellrider. rakdos shred-freak[card/] is another good card you dont have. For spells i would replace mizzium mortars with brimestone volley also i would find room for [card]nightbird's clutches since you should have creatures its almost a pseudo burn spell
i can maybe drop thundermaw but as for conscripts I find them extremely useful because vs those guys it's often that I can't kill them in 5 turns and the game would drag on. Obviously RDW is bad when game drags on but having those conscripts would provide some assurances.

Also nightbird clutches are just...temperamental at most. I could try running it I guess. Still doesn't solve Thragtusk...I guess I could go black and run Sever the Bloodline, Bump in the Night, Tragic Slip, Ultimate Price...it's just I don't access to a lot of the good black beaters...so seems a bit of a waste... 
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
ok after some thoughts, I've arrived at the conclusion that I need to run black...

here are what I will probably need..

2x Slaughter Games
4x Appetite for Brains
maybe 1x Havoc Festival

and obviously Dragonskull Summit, Blood Crypt

maybe add 4x Bump in the Night, 2x Sever the Bloodline

etc...what u guys think?

I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Theres a list on starcity that took 10th place this weekend you should check it out if you want to stay mono red
the deck you have right now is very creature based, have you ever thought about making it more spell based instead, Ive been testing a R/B burn deck using a combination of guttersnipe, blood artist, and deathrite shaman lately; the results are pretty good, guttersnipe is amazing  if you can keep him on the feild you can basicly kill the enemy/enemies while casting spells like duress, tragic slip and any other cheap spell. 

If you want a deck that plays like RDW, then I would suggest start playing with creatures that allow you to hit your enemy indirectly while casting other spells; imagine geting guttersnipe or blood artist out on the feild then start burning either creatures or players with spells like searing spear, brimstone volley and mizzium mortars, that or you could cast sign in blood while guttersnipe is on the field; the best part of it all is that you can achieve a continual burn using deathrite shaman, if you can keep a constant burn on them it will add up really quickly.

As for the thragtusk problem, I would suggest hitting him before he hits the field with appetite for brains, slaughter games, and perhaps even stab wound when hes on the field, turn their greatest strength into a weakness; other than that there is not much you can do to beat him, hes kinda rediculous. The good thing about going against white and green decks is that they normally do not have dirrect removal spells for creatures, so if your able to just keep some guys in the back nailing them with indirect damage there isn't much they can do, just chump block until the die I guess lol 
Great idea, why not play a deck that loses every matchup zombies does, but ALSO loses to sweepers?

Oh, and don't forget the vexing devils. 

Ok..so you don't like RDW or Rakdos Zombies...but there is no need for sarcasm just because somebody prefers a different playstyle....
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
the deck you have right now is very creature based, have you ever thought about making it more spell based instead, Ive been testing a R/B burn deck using a combination of guttersnipe, blood artist, and deathrite shaman lately; the results are pretty good, guttersnipe is amazing  if you can keep him on the feild you can basicly kill the enemy/enemies while casting spells like duress, tragic slip and any other cheap spell. 

If you want a deck that plays like RDW, then I would suggest start playing with creatures that allow you to hit your enemy indirectly while casting other spells; imagine geting guttersnipe or blood artist out on the feild then start burning either creatures or players with spells like searing spear, brimstone volley and mizzium mortars, that or you could cast sign in blood while guttersnipe is on the field; the best part of it all is that you can achieve a continual burn using deathrite shaman, if you can keep a constant burn on them it will add up really quickly.

As for the thragtusk problem, I would suggest hitting him before he hits the field with appetite for brains, slaughter games, and perhaps even stab wound when hes on the field, turn their greatest strength into a weakness; other than that there is not much you can do to beat him, hes kinda rediculous. The good thing about going against white and green decks is that they normally do not have dirrect removal spells for creatures, so if your able to just keep some guys in the back nailing them with indirect damage there isn't much they can do, just chump block until the die I guess lol 

Yeh that's why I thought of slaughter games, appetite and even sever the bloodline just to get rid of thragtusk, although slaughter games also would mess up entreat the angels etc which is quite good for me.

As for the guttersnipe + chain cheap spells combo and the deathrite shaman thing...i get this sudden urge to run green for ramp lol...which would kinda break away from the rdw/rakdos thing haha...but definitely worth a try

I am Red/White
I am Red/White
If you see lots of humans, you might consider [CARD]Stromkirk Noble[/card] in the main. By splashing black, you gain access to Dreadbore, which I would highly recommend. You can also incorporate [CARD]Deathrite Shaman[/card] and Hellhole Flailer. Flailer might be worth it due to his fling ability. This suggestion is probably wandering more into the realms of strictly casual play, but Rakdos, Lord of Riots is aggressively costed for his power/toughness.
Well ok, I see where I can go with this I guess..

Anyway new list

Landsx 22

4x Dragonskull Summit
4x Blood Crypt
4x Rakdos Guildgate
8x Mountain
4x Swamp

Creatures x 25

4x Stromkirk Noble
4x Rakdos Cackler
4x Ash Zealot
4x Vampire Nighthawk
4x Blood Artist
2x Zealous Conscript
2x Hellrider
1x Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Spells x 13

4x Bump in the Night
4x Pillar of Flame2x [c]Searing Spear
2x Brimstone Volley
1x Rakdos's Return

Sideboard

4x Appetite for Brains
2x Searing Spear
2x Brimstone Volley
2x Rakdos Charm
2x Slaughter Games
2x Dreadbore
1x Havoc Festival

Only listing with cards I currently got...

Can get my hands on Sever the Bloodline, Ultimate Price, Mizzium Mortars as well as replacing whatever creatures since I think I got everything except zombies and aristocrats....

I am Red/White
I am Red/White
also should I run Killing Wave to combo with my blood artists? or not good idea for this type of deck...

I might replace artist wit just shread freaks or maulers if it ends up being slow... 
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Sign In to post comments