8/16 HP
Mana Pool:

ORANGE TEAM Sparksource: 5HP EXPOSED

vs

PURPLE TEAM Sparksource 5HP EXPOSED

Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
Round 1
Target End Date: Night of Thursday the 18th

Criteria: Make a card that could appear in Gatecrash, set 2 of 3 in the Return to Ravnica block. (The guilds in Gatecrash are Orzhov, Boros, Dimir, Simic and Gruul)
So the rules currently say to PM me your choice of tactics, but I wonder if that's necessarry. It's probably easier to just post them, but I don't know if that creates too much incentive for people to wait and see what others are doing (but then again, what other people choose doesn't have a huge impact on what you do). Thoughts?
Just go for spoiler blocks so we can't see the opponents play but can discuss with our allies.
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
So, anyone want to legitimately strategize? And if so, in what medium? Steam, skype, facebook, this forum?
Edit: Our team is literally unkillable.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

it'd be really nice to have the character sheets in the OP if that's not too much work, Kavu. that way I can check at a glance what my team has instead of cross-referencing with the other thread.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
also when an ability mentions allies, is the person with that ability included or is that just others? if it includes them, is that taken into account on my gold table?

'Allies' means your entire team. I'll edit Garrod's stat sheet for himself accordingly, everyone else will have to do the math. (It'll probably end up looking like Gold: 10 (+5)) (that means 15) (or should it be 15 (10 +5)?) (or maybe it should not affect himself? For now, it still will)

Yeah, I can put stat tables in the OP, that makes sense. I'll probably do that tomorrow.
purple team strategy discussion
so a quick overview of my assumptions on proper startegy this round:

Morgothra: we want you to take some damage first, to power up your damage output, so I think farming is gonna be useful. if you score even a 2 this round you can buy yourself a greatsword thanks to my support ability, and farming gives you the most presence, making you soak up some damage to push you toward your explosion threshold. once you get low I can protect you pretty well, since if you defend you'll only have 3 presence, and you can go aggro when necessary. but for now I definitely think you should farm.

razorborne: I don't think the presence difference matters much and I'd like to stay out of Morgothra's way, so I think I should go aggro. I don't really need much gold, although healing potions will obviously be useful for me. still, right now, getting some early damage in seems good.

Jessica: you're our weakest character, HP-wise. with my support though you can have only 2 presence while defending, which is pretty good. I think we're gonna do best having you defend and then ocassionally get a 5 and explode all over everything, but especially this round since, again, I'd like Morgothra to take some damage. once he's low enough to get better damage it might be worth having you come out and start aggroing.

Confused: right now farming is probably your best shot. it helps keep Morgothra exposed and lets you save up to buy Swiftfoot Boots, which you will definitely put to good use later on. it'll also give you some money for potions.

basically, I think we should try to maximize the damage Morgothra takes this round while building up gold for later. that means Morgothra puts himself out in the open while the rest of us hide as best we can. remember that, in addition to your own abilities, mine affects all of you.

'Allies' means your entire team. I'll edit Garrod's stat sheet for himself accordingly, everyone else will have to do the math. (It'll probably end up looking like Gold: 10 (+5)) (that means 15) (or should it be 15 (10 +5)?) (or maybe it should not affect himself? For now, it still will)

I think the 10(+5) wording works best. but just FYI aggressive is strictly better than defensive for Garrod. the only thing defensive has is slightly higher presence, but his ability bumps that down to the same and aggressive just deals more damage and gets the same gold at every level.

So, anyone want to legitimately strategize? And if so, in what medium? Steam, skype, facebook, this forum?
Edit: Our team is literally unkillable.

My time zone tends to kill most strategy type things, but I'm very open. I'm not really familiar enough with these type of games to know what a good strategy is, I'm really just down to make cards - if there's an optimal strategy that someone would like me to adopt, I'm all ears.

Edit: Though my role is pretty clearly to soak damage. I'm quite happy to sit defensively and let my team farm / wail on that rotten purple team.

Shadowlurk |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature is unblockable.
As long as enchanted creature is unblocked, you may have it deal combat damage to a creature defending player controls.
When the third guard went missing, Trelane really started to think something might be wrong.
I'm also up for strategizing.  Given the geographic dispersion of our team we might as well just keep everything on the forums.

brief initial thoughts -- ignorable

happy gold-day, everybody! :D

imi's defending already
i'm planning on farming this turn.  as long as I manage a 3 or better I'll have enough gold for a sword of vengeance, hurrah.
fenix: early damage?  your character has very low presence (imi -- 10, me -- 7, mown -- 6 or 7) so there's very little difference between defense (4) and aggressive (5) for you in terms of how much damage you'll be dealt.
mown: auto-heal is a pretty awesome ability.  there's not much difference between defense/aggressive; 3+ on either gives enough gold to buy a sword or boots.  aggressive doesn't really give much of anything besides the extra bit of damage at a 4; not sure how much that and +1 presence will matter.  *shrug*

oh right, this a card-making contest too.

I'm farming this round.

Revenge of the Guildless 
Sorcery

Destroy all multicolored creatures.

For ten millenia, the guilds of Ravnica terrorized, experimented on, arrested, possessed, brainwashed, brutalized, and murdered the guildless 'citizens'.  When the revolution inevitably came, it came with a fury unmatched in the annals of history.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

This forum and Steam are okay for me, for strategizing.

Strategy, Shmategy
I think, considering my ability, our tankier characters (Imidazoline with high HP and Mown with self Heal) shouldn't be defensive this round, because the bonus my ability grants for perfect cards (1 heal/10 gold/+1 damage for def/farm/agg stances respectively) is farm more rewarding in the aggressive and farming stances, because Mown self heals anyway, Imidazoline is bulky and can heal the lowest guy if he scores perfect. Also since we start with 10 extra gold apiece thanks to Glasir's ability, I think instead of going for early damage, we should capitalize on this farm head start and try to get enough gold to outclass the enemy team by having the good equipment way earlier than them. So I think something like Mown and Imidazoline on farm, and me and Glasir on defensive (maybe one of us can risk and farm as well hoping imidazoline gets a perfect card and heals them) sounds reasonable. It relies a bit too much on getting perfect scores but if it pays off it'll make a difference.

I think we should also be wary of the fact that one of their heroes gets quite stronger once their throne (or w/e its called here) is exposed, so I think we should kill one of them once we are ready because that ability can make quite a comeback for them.

Card

Bloodlust Shaman
Creature - Human Shaman
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay 2 life. If you do, it gains haste and gets +1/+0 until the end of turn.
"The Azorius arrester didn't knew where the blood came from, or if it was the scent or the magic that made those Gruul warriors feral, but she knew something illegal had happened."
2/1

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Tactics and Card
Yes, Boss Raz. I will farm.

Orzhov Preacher -  
Creature - Human Cleric
Geist (When this creature dies, put a token that is a copy of this creature without its abilities onto the battlefield. That creature token becomes a spirit in addition to its other creature types.) 
, Sacrifice a non-spirit creature: Put a 2/2 black spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
2/2

Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Talks and stuff

How is farming not the best option?
How long do we expect this to last? Because stacking +2 seems incredibly good, and Fenix can do it really, really easily. Up to more than one per round.

Yxoque wrote:

Round 1

Tactics: I had the same thoughts about my own actions razor, so if you've managed to weave everyone elses tactics together and still think it works then I'm all for it. Also, I'm nominating you for team captain because you seem to have a head for this strategy stuff.

Action: Farming.

Cards thoughts: Well, this set seems to be about new keyword actions, so I spent today trying to come up with one. I think I got something for simic which fits quite well: 

Meld (Melded permanents share all abilities. Melding ends at end of turn.)

So, a card that uses meld, first attempt:

Laboratory Mistake :G:U:
Creature - Hippo Drake Mutant

Flying.
Laboratory Mistake must be blocked by creatures with flying.
Whenever Laboratory Mistake attacks, meld it with target creature.

2/3

It soon becomes apparent to all passers-by why the Azorious Skytroopers keep a permanent vanguard by the Simic's Apprentic Wing.

What do you think team?

Ego
144902215 wrote:
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
Show
it's not so much a head for strategy as a head for rambling, which makes it look like I put a lot of thought into it. that said, there's not a huge amount of strategic depth here (each round, the team has 81 potential choices, but if any one team member's choices are obvious that's down to 27.) so I'm fairly confident in my assessment.

also there's a major issue with meld, in that sharing static abilities can lead to incredibly messy gamestates. in this case, the best example is with your card, relentless assault, and two different Lhurgoyfs (say, terravore and cognivore.) I attack, meld with terravore, get my second combat step, attack, and meld with cognivore. what are my creatures' P/Ts?

@razor

They would all have power/toughness equal to the number of instant cards in all graveyards as the most recent effect takes precedence. Maybe if I put reminder text saying something like that? No? I rather liked that mechanic. Oh well, I may keep the card anyway but just replace meld with 'when ~ attacks, target creatures gains flying until end of turn' because I liked the way you can use it to make your creatures evasive or pull an opponents into the air and force it to block.

My other guild mechanic idea was Horde for Gruul, which wasn't as exciting, being a merger of Bloodthrist and Populate.

Horde 2 (When you cast this creature, if an opponent was dealt damage this turn, put 2 tokens onto the battlefield that are copies of this card.)

Letting me make:
Bloodscent Herd :R::G:
Creature - Centaur Barbarian

Trample, Horde X (When you cast this creature put X tokens onto the battlefield that are copies of this card, where X is the damage dealt to opponents this turn.)

4/3

The victims always feel that their hoofbeats are the most terrifying sound a person could encounter. Then they hear them start to feed.

Ego
144902215 wrote:
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
Contest Winners
Okay, I've got snazzy new stat pages up on the first post. The stats themselves haven't changed yet.
Talks and stuff

How long do we expect this to last? Because stacking +2 seems incredibly good, and Fenix can do it really, really easily. Up to more than one per round.

Show

He can?  Fenix's ability gives the extra gold to whoever scored the 5.  
If everybody (particularly Imi) farms that puts the weaker people much more in harm's way.
But yeah, stacking +2 is great, and having three people who can get a sword of at least +1 for every round they score 3 or higher seems crazy.

Does Imi defending and everybody else farming make sense?

Strategy
I bow to the All-Powerful Razorborne, Long May His Name Be Praised!

Tactic
Defensive, if you please.

Grim Tollmaster
Creature - Human Cleric [Uncommon]
Whenever an opponent activates a non-mana ability, they may pay one life. If they do, you gain one life. If they don't, counter that ability.
1/2
Talks and stuff

Show

He can?  Fenix's ability gives the extra gold to whoever scored the 5.  
If everybody (particularly Imi) farms that puts the weaker people much more in harm's way.
But yeah, stacking +2 is great, and having three people who can get a sword of at least +1 for every round they score 3 or higher seems crazy.

Does Imi defending and everybody else farming make sense?

Show
Shouldn't me and you, that have the lowest HP, be defensive?

Also guys if you can help me with my cards flavor text it'd be awesome, I've been terrible at flavor texts lately

192884403 wrote:
Show
Shouldn't me and you, that have the lowest HP, be defensive?

Also guys if you can help me with my cards flavor text it'd be awesome, I've been terrible at flavor texts lately

Show

If I farm I'll take a bit more damage but have a good chance of ending up with at least 50 gold at the end of a round.  A sword of +2 damage is really powerful, and the earlier the better.
I'd put Imi on defense so that he soaks up more damage for us low-HP guys.  He gets a low-enough gold bonus from farming that it doesn't seem worth it to me.
Less sure on you and Mown but in general it seems better to start working towards swords with continuous damage increases than go for a little extra damage at the start (aggro).  Defense might be better than farming here if gold bonuses are low enough, I haven't looked too closely at that.

flavor text... hm.  
The Azorius pay mages to stop fights.  The Gruul take a different approach.  
or just "Chaaaarge!"
yeah I don't know

Show

My bad, meant Glasir when talking about the money tree.
Honestly, I don't see the point of defending. We're still being dealt the same amount of damage, so it feels somewhat useless in the grand perspective.

Yxoque wrote:

Strategising LIKE A BOSS
Sure, everyone farming and me standing guard sounds pretty good. Our gold head start puts us in a pretty good position to seriously start putting the hammer down sooner, and some good scores will also make us more durable.
Show

My bad, meant Glasir when talking about the money tree.
Honestly, I don't see the point of defending. We're still being dealt the same amount of damage, so it feels somewhat useless in the grand perspective.

Show
I'm honestly not too fussed. If we score well, I'm happy to farm and just switch to defence when our source is exposed to minimise damage. I don't think my damage output is enough for me to ever really switch to offense, even when aiming for purples source.

Kavu, can you confirm for me what happens to equipment / gold when we respawn?
Currently, you keep all equipment and gold upon death/respawning. I may implement partial gold loss on death later.
Well, you get a 1 turn penalty to your gold production.

Ghastly Obeyance
Enchantment
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player exiles a card from his or her graveyard. If it's a creature card, create a token that's a copy of it except it's a Spirit in addition to its other types.
The Orzhov enforces tax in more currency than mere money.

steam profile if you want to complain about my card, chat, or pretend you have more friends. I could make a forum group, but we all know nobody uses those.
I probably care too much about this game. I've already spreadsheeted average damage and gold on each level, estimate of how much gold 1 damage (Not that this is a terribly useful stat, but meh) is worth, and I'd like to try and calculate game length at some point too.

Yxoque wrote:

Well, you get a 1 turn penalty to your gold production.

Ghastly Obeyance
Enchantment
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player exiles a card from his or her graveyard. If it's a creature card, create a token that's a copy of it. It's a Spirit.

I'm amazingly frustratingly helpful at times
...that's a copy of it except it's a Spirit? A spirit in addition?

I could make a forum group, but we all know nobody uses those.

I use those...

I could make a forum group, but we all know nobody uses those.

I use those...

And you're a nobody. Point proven.
Okay, I suppose that mafia thing or whatever is pretty popular, but that's more of a placebo forum.

Anyway, changed my card because Imidazoline said things. I was more going for the Rise from the Grave wording, but whatever. It wasn't supposed to be in addition at first, but then we Seanced it up, since it makes as much sense and players won't be sad when the goblins they steal no longer goblin around.

Yxoque wrote:

I probably care too much about this game. I've already spreadsheeted average damage and gold on each level, estimate of how much gold 1 damage (Not that this is a terribly useful stat, but meh) is worth, and I'd like to try and calculate game length at some point too.

Share it!

192884403 wrote:
It looks like Razor is the only one to have not submitted a card yet. Also, Morgothra, I'm assuming your submission is your second card?

No one has to fix things for now, but for the next round I'd appreciate if the actual submissions were outside of sblocks :P
WHAT I HAVE TO POST CARDS I THOUGHT I WAS JUST STRATEGIZING

okay so basically the criteria is to have violent flashbacks to the preview week contest. let's look at what each guild wants to do

Boros: turn sideways or have vigilance. either way, punch and punch. differentiated from Rakdos by being less balls-out and more capable of holding its ground on defense as well as offense.
Orzhov: bleeder control. hold the fort while sneaking in incremental damages.
Dimir: full-on classic control. counters and disruption, keeping them off anything, then plop down BDG #433 and turn it sideways until the screaming stops.
Simic: man screw it I don't know no one likes you Simic. probably some midrange thing OH MY GOD I HATE YOU SO MUCH STOP MAKING ME THINK ABOUT YOU
Gruul: basically Rakdos but with pump spells. and less removal but bigger dudes I guess? more the fat end of aggro while Rakdos is the disruptive end, Boros is the tempo end and izzet is the evasive end RED HAS SO MUCH DEPTH AS A COLOR.

Dimir Silencer-
Creature-Zombie Wizard
Sacrifice Dimir Silencer: Counter target spell unless its controller pays .
You may cast Dimir Silencer from your graveyard.
"The true strength of an individual is his voice. The true strength of an organization is silence."~Xeliar, Sculptor of Lies
1/1

I'M A MANIAC, MANIAC ON THE FLOOR

I considered making him cost 3 but that would be so bad. he's basically a worse sphere of resistance (worse because you have to keep paying for him, and he only taxes at most one per turn, and he costs 2 colors instead of 0) but in exchange he beats down really crappily, and doesn't affect your spells. not as broken as he seems. he's also a reassembling skeleton but you have to commit to him at sorcery speed and he's blue too and skeleton isn't breaking any formats. I am aware that 2 is pushing it, but hey, sometimes you push, sometimes you pull. this time I chose to push. also I could've used Skeleton's wording but Gravecrawler's is SO MUCH SEXIER. also this plays really well with the aforementioned crawler FYI. whatever man Zombie decks all up ins.

tactics
whatever I said before, I think it was attack mode.

I've got comments/grades done.

It seems I'm missing Fenix.'s tactics choice. I think I know what it is, but nothing I read sounded too concrete so I'd like verification.

(Also, I think I need to nerf farming/buff aggressive and defensive tactics. >_> )
Farming yeah, sorry I forgot to explicitly mention it.

192884403 wrote:
by the way, Kavu, are the changes you make going to take effect mid-game or are you just taking notes on how this runs and changing things after?

by the way, Kavu, are the changes you make going to take effect mid-game or are you just taking notes on how this runs and changing things after?

I was initially going to live-update things, but seeing all the work put into strategy here makes me think I should wait until Game 2. Then again, there might be something really broken that needs fixing... So, I'm not totally sure. Sorry!

ANYWAY! Grades n stuff!
Comments and Scores
Imidazoline
Shadowlurk
Very, very cool. Fits very nicely with Dimir with a great "murder from the shadows" flavor. The sorta-high cost/dual colors/natural aura fragility should balance out the fact that this is probably a kill spell every turn. The flavor text doesn't blow me away, but it's good enough.
>5/5

Fenix.
Bloodlust Shaman
I guess the 'bloodlust' comes from your own blood that you're sacrificing? Feels a little more Rakdos than Gruul, and the flavor text is kinda ramble-y.
>2/5

Jessica_Morgan
Grim Tollmaster
The ability is so Orzhovian I will be amazed if there isn't something like this in the real set. It's a tad fragile for a 4 cost dude, though. Some good flavor text would have pushed this over the top.
>4/5

Mown
Ghastly Obeyance
At first glance I thought they could only exile creatures, in which case this would be mad OP since you'd be getting everything you killed. However, seeing that it's any card gives it a real nice "I need things in my graveyard so I don't have to choose a creature!" feel. Giving the opponent the choice of giving you a thing or potentially wasting spells just so they have other things to exile, as well as the feel of inevitability, makes for a neat little Orzhov card. Perhaps a tad undercosted, seeing as how it can still be 'give me all of your creatures' against creature-heavy decks. Some flavor text, mayhaps?
>3/5

ConfusedAsUsual
Orzhov Preacher
Geist (which has an Innistrad connotation) doesn't seem like it would be printed. WotC tries to avoid having too many different token types, and this one ability could make any number of different sizes/creature types. Probably better off having a standardized Geist token, because the abilities of the original creature doesn't matter anyway. It's flavorfully weird to have the token be both a spirit and what it originally was. Also weird is the ability to sacrifice himself to himself and get 2 spirits from one body.
>1/5

Glasir
Revenge of the Guildless
Mechanically not terribly exciting, it's the obligatory set-mechanic Wrath. The flavor text (including figuring out the guild-verb associations) is good enough to bump it up a notch from just 'solid' though.
>4/5

Morgothra
Bloodscent Herd
As I mentioned with someone else, a single mechanic that creates a large variety of tokens isn't the best idea. This is less of a problem with Horde because they're straight-up copies. My problem here is the power level. Horde is probably fine at 1 or 2, assuming the card is costed appropiately. Here, though, a 4/3 trample for 5 isn't THAT bad by itself, but when you consider a simple Lightning Bolt or Garruk's Companion can grant three complete, permanent copies? That's waaaaay good.
>2/5

razorborne
Dimir Silencer
I'm not sure about this. It feels like you're playing with fire. Gravecrawler is already doing pretty well for itself, and recurring counterspells is a scary thought. Comparing against Sphere of Resistance, you have to pay 2 colors instead of 1 colorless, but only on one spell that you can save for later or ignore as you like. On the other hand, your opponent doesn't actually have to pay the tax if they're casting multiple spells in a turn since you can only pop this guy once (on their turn). Plus, it becomes rather irrelevant later in the game, and the flavor is pretty good. I think that's fine.
>4/5

Fight!

Additional Effects:
Imidazoline's effot heals Glasir for 2HP!
Mown regenerates 1HP!

Stats as of Round 2 Start
Standings as of: Game Start

Glasir || Advokist Mirenka

5/6 HP
Inventory:
60g

Fenix. || Cogsmistress Reena

4/6 HP
Inventory:
35g

Mown || Jorian Beastblood

6/7 HP
Inventory:
40g

ORANGE TEAM Sparksource: 10HP

vs

PURPLE TEAM Sparksource 10HP

(I think I need to buff early damage)
Round 2
Target End Date: Monday Oct 22

Create a card from the theoretical set 'Return to Otaria' that shares a color with your Hero. Otaria was the setting for Odyssey block and the Onslaught block. This new set has a theme of 'combat'.

Notes:

• It's a bit of a tight turnaround this time, I figured including the whole weekend would make it easier to get a card in. I can give more time if someone needs it.

• May as well just sblock your tactic. Don't sblock the final submission though, please!

• If you want to buy something, include it with your submission. Bought items are immedate and can affect this round's combat.

What's my hero's colour? I can't see one anywhere.

Also, can I get some more info wrt gold and items; can I give them to my party members, sell them back to the shop or stack them? If I buy Greatsword now can I pay 20g more to upgrade it? 
Ego
144902215 wrote:
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
Contest Winners
Oh, right. I updated with flavor when you said you had comments done, because I completely ignored the context of that sentence and just assumed you said stuff about closing soon and such.

I (obviously) think the balance is fine. While it's strong, it's also really easy to make really weak. It only works against so much, and is nearly dead against anything able to put a non-creature it the graveyard every round. Of course, you can help it along yourself, but then you're into two card territory that relies on the opposing deck to be good.

Yxoque wrote: