questions regarding minor actions, untapping creatures and making several standard actions

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi
I have 3 questions:

1. Can I play several minor cards, each in the different moment of an activation?
example:

play minor card, attack, play minor card, make a move, play another minor card.

2. Can I use a card effect  to untap a previously tapped creature and make another standard/immediate action, is it ok?
example:
Near Miss, after untap I make an attack or play another immediate or standard card.

3. Is it possible to carry out only a part of an order?
example:
Spring Attack: move, ignore making an attack, and move again: together up to 12 squares and not attacking anyone.

killercroc
Hi
I have 3 questions:

1. Can I play several minor cards, each in the different moment of an activation?
example:

Yes you can do this. Keep in mind that you cannot play in the middle of another action. So you can't move a bit, play a minor then move some more.

2. Can I use a card effect  to untap a previously tapped creature and make another standard/immediate action, is it ok?
example:
Near Miss, after untap I make an attack or play another immediate or standard card.

Near Miss is an immediate, you would tap to play it, then you would untap. So unless you're using it for its protective power it's useless. You can not play standard (or minor) actions on your opponent's turn. Near Miss is good because you defend then you untap and are free to defend again with another immediate card (or dodge if you have cover).

More generally if you can get a creature to untap you can do something else that causes them to tap, but you can only do this during their activation. Each creature activates only once on your turn. If you actiavte a creature and tap them for something, then later during another creature's activation you cause the first one to untap you cannot use the first creature to (for example) make an attack.

example:
Spring Attack: move, ignore making an attack, and move again: together up to 12 squares and not attacking anyone.

My understanding is yes. These things go on the stack and if you have no target for the attack that's fine nothing happens but you still do the other parts of the card.

example:

Absolutely! Your opponent has an opportunity to respond to each action individually, though.

example:

Yes. An untapped creature is free to take an action that would tap it, such as make an attack during its activation, or use an immediate action card. This is true even if you used a card effect to untap the creature.

example:

Here's my guess. Some order cards have instructions that can't be ignored. For example, if you play a card that has an effect and then attaches to your creature, you cannot simply ignore the part of the card that says "Attach this card to this creature".

On the other hand, some order cards have instructions that are clearly meant to be permissive. For example, when "Spring Attack" says you can shift 6 squares, it's clear (to me, anyway) that you're being given an option to shift 6 squares, but you could also shift fewer squares, or none at all. Similarly, when the card says to make an attack, it seems to me as though it's giving you an option of making an attack if you wish. If you end up next to an allied creature, say, you're not forced to attack it. It also seems to me that shifting after the attack isn't dependent on making the attack. You could shift 6, choose not to attack, then shift 6 again.

As a rule of thumb, I'd say that any part of an order card that lets you take an action, make an attack, move, draw, heal, prevent damage, or untap can be considered permissive. You can do those things if you want to, but you don't have to, and you can still use  the card. Any other instructions on an order card can't be ignored. (Although if the instruction allows your opponent to take an action, attack, move, draw, heal, prevent damage, or untap, then it makes sense that your opponent would also be able to choose not to do those things, if she so wished.)

That's just one option on how to use order cards, and it's the one that makes the most sense to me. Call it the "Permissive Model". There is another option, though: You could rule it that you can't ignore any instruction on an order card, but if the instruction is impossible to carry out, then you can still use the rest of the card. Call it the "Mandatory Model". For example, under this interpretation, you can still use "Spring Attack" even if it doesn't put you in a position where you can attack a creature. The attack doesn't happen, but you can still shift afterwards. But if "Spring Attack" instead puts you adjacent to an allied creature, then you must attack it, because the card says to make an attack!

Either way, there doesn't appear to be a hard-and-fast rule for these situations. I'd be curious to hear the designer's intent, or how it should be ruled in a tournament. And if there is a rule that I'm missing, do please let me know.