This is the most boring T2 format I've ever had the displeasure of playing

82 posts / 0 new
Last post
I like sweet and efficient cards, but this format is just too full of them. Was WotC even aware of 2v1s in this format, I'm curious;

List of 2v1 or better cards:

Thragtusk
Sever the Bloodlines
Detention Sphere
Geralf's Messenger
Sphinx's Revelations
Huntmaster of the Fells
Olivia Voldaren
Rakdos's Return
Lingering Souls
Angel of Serenity
Unburial Rites
Flames of the Firebrand

A good chunk of these cards were already in the format but the reason they weren't as strong were because format was more tempo oriented. Before Thragtusk, decks didn't have the health bump that made games go long which increased the value of these 2v1 cards. Right now, it feels extremely like battlecruiser Magic, which is dreadful. 

Currently, my solution to this format is Draw-Go, since counterspells keep tuskers in check, and I'm sure people will realise it's dreadful to deal with Huntmasters or Thragtusks with removal and they'll go straight with Essence Scatter - until others adopt and start running Caverns. 

I don't really enjoy a format that's largely dictated by a single card so much that entire format slows down and decks are either prepared to race, to deal with, or play their own Thragtusks.  Currently, there's only the option of countering Thragtusks, but it'll be so for only a little while. I'd told everyone Zombies was a terrible deck and people told me I was underestimating Zombies, and I told them they were underestimating Tusks. 

Latest SCG is 4/8 Thragtusks; last week it was lesser. Next week, we'll see at least 6, if not full 8. I don't cry for bans often, but I've only done so twice; Once with Arcbound Ravager, once with JTMS and SFM. Tusk will dominate the format, warp it, kill aggro decks and variety in the process. With the ease of mana and how splashable the card is, there's no reason not to play 4 Thragtusk in any deck that isn't Zombies, and it takes a fool to play Zombies. 

I was excited for RTR and playing T2 on MTGO but I guess I'll just grind the block, because this format is super boring.  
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
I came to this conclusion a while ago. Overall, the largest problem I've found is that there's no bridge from early game to late game. Decks seem to have to be largely oriented one way or the other.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
I came to this conclusion a while ago. Overall, the largest problem I've found is that there's no bridge from early game to late game. Decks seem to have to be largely oriented one way or the other.


Centaur Healer, Farseek, Borderland Ranger, Pillar of Flame, Huntmaster help fill that gap nicely. 
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
I came to this conclusion a while ago. Overall, the largest problem I've found is that there's no bridge from early game to late game. Decks seem to have to be largely oriented one way or the other.


Centaur Healer, Farseek, Borderland Ranger, Pillar of Flame, Huntmaster help fill that gap nicely. 


Farseek is just accel, Pillar doesn't do junk against the proverbial Thragtusk, and all of that is Naya.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Nicol bolas is obviously the best solution to tusky.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Zombies have weapons Vs thrag, and Jund flavor doesn't mind the life bump it gives at all. You are smoking something special mate. You just appetite out the first one and then race over the topdecked one if they find it. Plus artist balance you back out. The first round of zombie list just really sucked. Grixis control could gain some ground and become a thing. Accelerate a bolas out ftw? Sure why not.

edit: control got me playing the game again, so I miss traditional control a lot. Grixis is my favorite flavor of control, and I refuse to play white. I wish it was a more diverse format, but standard is really hard to do well. I enjoy playing a more diverse group of enemies.  I dislike that Im pushed towards aggro so hard. But l like zombies enough to rock it, and my budget won't let me switch, so here I am!

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

Nicol bolas is obviously the best solution to tusky.


yep, i'm already here

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

 

 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

 

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

 

Photobucket

Nicol Bolas has been straight money in this format so far.

Money 

"Meow Meow Meow I'm a kitty GAIN 100 LIFE." - Some genius

I've never regretted dropping him so far. I'm also at the point of running 2 Gilded Lotus so I can drop both Bolas and Sphinx's Revelation. Revelation was also pure awesomesomeness at States. Tamiyo was pretty meh, however.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Too early to tell really. For starters, the top decks from SCG Providence look so untuned (a token list with Angels of Serenity, a do-nothing "Reanimator" list that went to finals...) that I feel the format will still evolve for several weeks before reaching an equilibrium.

I only own 1 Thragtusk (yeah, came late to the party because last season it wasn't good enough against Delver) and play it in my GW midrange deck. I don't have trouble dealing with other green decks playing Thragtusk since there are a lot of ways of going bigger against him, easiest being Wolfir Silverheart (I swing with a 7 / 7 this turn and with an additional 8 / 8 the next turn... nice chump blocker you got there): it is the faster aggro decks not playing Thragtusk the ones that make me wish I have the other three. Thragtusk is the reaction to the initial aggro rush that every new format experiences, my belief is once the aggro decks get hated out by Thragtusk the format is going to move away from 4 of them main.

A good chunk of these cards were already in the format but the reason they weren't as strong were because format was more tempo oriented. Before Thragtusk, decks didn't have the health bump that made games go long which increased the value of these 2v1 cards. Right now, it feels extremely like battlecruiser Magic, which is dreadful.



Card advantage or tempo, the new dilemma. So far Wizards seem to think that control is evil and tempo is control made "fun" so we have ended with endless domination of the metagame by tempo decks. Maybe I'm just tired from it to the point that anything different is welcome, but I prefer much more to play a midrange vs control game than an aggro vs tempo game, the reason? Tempo games are much more often decided by the best draw in the sense that loss of a single land drop or the other guy curving perfectly tend to decide the outcome of the game, whereas in attrition games players have better control of the outcome of the game by long term planning. Attrition games are preferable to tempo games because the latter are much more decided by variance.

Battlecruiser magic isn't dreadful. There's a reason why Rise of the Eldrazi limited is considered one of the best of all time.

List of 2v1 or better cards:



There isn't a problem at all with a big list of cards. Au contraire, the real problem is if the format evolve to the point that one or two of them are only relevant and the rest become tier 2 cards. The more viable decks emerge playing each one different cards the better, who cares if all the cards are card advantage ones.

If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
So there's a few answers to Thragtusk, which include:



  • Discard (which is fairly bad in this format - most of the cards are SB material at best)

  • Counters (Essence Scatter, Syncopate, and Counterflux, which only work until Cavern comes back) 

  • Olivia and Dungeon Geist (Olivia already saw success at Cinci, and Geist is catching on slowly)

  • Nicol Bolas (Going over the top, which only works with tons of ramp ala Keyrunes/Chromatic Lantern, Gilded Lotus, etc. Either that or you have to be able to deal with the first one profitably, as to not die before the late game)

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

@Fire_Reign: Bonds of Faith, Tamiyo, and Martial Law are reasonable answers as well.

I think Draft is the best format in Magic.

I strive to be critical, rational and openminded.

evil twin in grixis can be used against thrag. it also doubles as much needed hate against siguarda

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

 

 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

 

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

 

Photobucket

yes clearly one week is long enuf for things to shake out and to start making judgements about a meta. Its complety beside the point that the pros have for a most part not had a contructed event to play in and show off their brews.
Everything is known about the format the day after the card image galley has been released /thread
I like sweet and efficient cards, but this format is just too full of them. Was WotC even aware of 2v1s in this format, I'm curious;

List of 2v1 or better cards:

Thragtusk
Sever the Bloodlines
Detention Sphere
Geralf's Messenger
Sphinx's Revelations
Huntmaster of the Fells
Olivia Voldaren
Rakdos's Return
Lingering Souls
Angel of Serenity
Unburial Rites
Flames of the Firebrand

A good chunk of these cards were already in the format but the reason they weren't as strong were because format was more tempo oriented. Before Thragtusk, decks didn't have the health bump that made games go long which increased the value of these 2v1 cards. Right now, it feels extremely like battlecruiser Magic, which is dreadful. 

Currently, my solution to this format is Draw-Go, since counterspells keep tuskers in check, and I'm sure people will realise it's dreadful to deal with Huntmasters or Thragtusks with removal and they'll go straight with Essence Scatter - until others adopt and start running Caverns. 

I don't really enjoy a format that's largely dictated by a single card so much that entire format slows down and decks are either prepared to race, to deal with, or play their own Thragtusks.  Currently, there's only the option of countering Thragtusks, but it'll be so for only a little while. I'd told everyone Zombies was a terrible deck and people told me I was underestimating Zombies, and I told them they were underestimating Tusks. 

Latest SCG is 4/8 Thragtusks; last week it was lesser. Next week, we'll see at least 6, if not full 8. I don't cry for bans often, but I've only done so twice; Once with Arcbound Ravager, once with JTMS and SFM. Tusk will dominate the format, warp it, kill aggro decks and variety in the process. With the ease of mana and how splashable the card is, there's no reason not to play 4 Thragtusk in any deck that isn't Zombies, and it takes a fool to play Zombies. 

I was excited for RTR and playing T2 on MTGO but I guess I'll just grind the block, because this format is super boring.  



I hate Thragtusk, I believe it's the worst designed card in the format (Cavern of Souls was the worst timed, but it's not intrinsically bad design). I hate how the format entirely revolves around the interplay between it and Cavern. And as I said in that other thread, the card is best answered by simply playing your own, which is the fundamental hallmark of bad design.

But that being said, I'm not sure it's a card that's worth banning, or that the format would be meaningfully repaired by its absence. You're still underrating Zombies, but you're not wrong that Thragtusk is huge game.

Basically, this format, much like the last one and to some extent the one before it, the "diversity" of the format is largely going to be illusory. You're going to be playing "A Thragtusk Deck" or a deck that hopes to have as consistent an early game as to be able to win through Thragtusk and hope they don't draw doubles.

The variety will be the type of Aggro deck, or the type of Thragtusk deck, but the core strategies are the same.

Also, RTR Block seems like it will be excellent.
"Best answered by playing your own" has often the clause of banning for cards I've seen banned. At least with Jace or SFM there were (mostly irrelevant) choices to be made - there are none with Thragtusk as per design and unless you're a terrible magic player who doesn't understand how combat works, there's not many bad ways to play it. 

This will be the new zombies list:

8 B/r
3 Guildgate
4 Cavern of Souls
6 Swamp

12 1CMC
4 Blood Artist
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Aristocrat

4 Crippling Blight
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Brimstone Volley
3 Searing Spear 

SB:
3 Appetite for Brains
3 Mark of Mutiny
4 Flames of the Firebrand
3 Knight of Infamy or w/e
2 Dreadbore

This'll be the new stock version of B/r zombies once people play these through MTGO and realise Bump doesn't give enough speed bump. We'll see if this deck with 4 MD and 6 SB answers to Thragtusk will be able to compete against it. This is literally the last resort. If this doesn't work, then there's nothing else for three months. 
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
Yeah, that deck's not going to be running Cavern...

And I can't wait for Gatecrash. Hopefully they fill in all of the missing components of Standard (a pyroclasm variant, whichever charm has the creature version of izzet charm's counter, Boros, etc). 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

i really hope they just straight-up reprint lightning helix

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

 

 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

 

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

 

Photobucket

i really hope they just straight-up reprint lightning helix



Thanks, If Gatecrash doesn't have it I'm probably going to hate everything boros, even if they have an amazing mechanic and strong utilities.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
All the charms have been instant so far and a pyroclasm at instant and 2 durdle modes would be pretty broken even at double colored mana, but maybe they'll do that with the clause "creatures without flying". 
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
All the charms have been instant so far and a pyroclasm at instant and 2 durdle modes would be pretty broken even at double colored mana, but maybe they'll do that with the clause "creatures without flying". 


I just mean a pyroclasm variant period, not a charm with it. Jund charm was probably the lower limit on mana cost of a pyroclasm charm.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

-1 aristocrat, -3 cavern, +4 swamps.

You need those summits to come into play untapped, caverns are terrible in multiples, and you're very fast and have varying creature types.

Also, quad aristocrat with 21 lands is a bad idea. 


I thought we'd an agreement over 4 aristocrats and why it was necessary to have it despite low land count. But I might agree with you on the land count. 
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
All the charms have been instant so far and a pyroclasm at instant and 2 durdle modes would be pretty broken even at double colored mana, but maybe they'll do that with the clause "creatures without flying". 


I just mean a pyroclasm variant period, not a charm with it. Jund charm was probably the lower limit on mana cost of a pyroclasm charm.



Dont know if they are going to go there this season....it seems they dont want sweepers in red to be efficant unless you pay out the butt for them, or there is some sort of clause attached to them. Bonfire, and mizzium are the only ones seen so far and while both have their uses, only one can be called efficant in at least one mode. I hope to god that they dont attach a "to creatures without flying" clause to another sweeper..... we need some way to combat lingering souls decks.
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
I hope to god that they dont attach a "to creatures without flying" clause to another sweeper..... we need some way to combat lingering souls decks.



This. However, the rotation of Pyroclasm and then Whipflare mean that sweeping the board with red is the new UnfunTM thing to do. Also, there has to be a reason to get your playset of Thundermaw Hellkites, after all.

At this point I have better hopes on some playable Hurricane effect. Either a new Cloudthresher variant or the Needle Storm effect itself stamped on Gruul Charm which wouldn't be as powerful as Pyroclasm.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited

Gruul charm could be hits dudes without flying, hits dudes with flying, and some kind of other effect, but 2 mana sweepers are best left at sorcery, but we could really do with one.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/

Gruul charm could be hits dudes without flying, hits dudes with flying, and some kind of other effect, but 2 mana sweepers are best left at sorcery, but we could really do with one.



Think Gruul Charm is more likely to destroy artifact, enchantment and (I wish it were land) give your dudes haste.

But I would much rather have that version instead. 

(at)MrEnglish22


Gruul charm could be hits dudes without flying, hits dudes with flying, and some kind of other effect, but 2 mana sweepers are best left at sorcery, but we could really do with one.



Think Gruul Charm is more likely to destroy artifact, enchantment and (I wish it were land) give your dudes haste.

But I would much rather have that version instead. 



Dont think they would have the charms do the same things as some of the other ones... although i could be wrong so who knows 
afaik, none of the guild charms do any of the 3 effects I posted. If you are talking about the Dragon Charms, Onslaught Charms, or others, then you are wrong (for lack of a nicer way to put it)
For example, green charm from Onslaught Block gave dudes trample, Selesnya Charm does it as well. They don't care much about cycles overlapping a little.

The way to figure out guild charms is this: 1 thing color A does at 1CMC, 1 thing color B does at 1 CMC, and 1 thing both colors can do at 1 CMC.
Pretty sure most of them have been made as spells already for the ones printed so far. Know Izzet Charm proves it (Spell Pierce, Magma Spray, then careful study/faithless looting) off the top of my head.

(at)MrEnglish22

afaik, none of the guild charms do any of the 3 effects I posted. If you are talking about the Dragon Charms, Onslaught Charms, or others, then you are wrong (for lack of a nicer way to put it)
For example, green charm from Onslaught Block gave dudes trample, Selesnya Charm does it as well. They don't care much about cycles overlapping a little.

The way to figure out guild charms is this: 1 thing color A does at 1CMC, 1 thing color B does at 1 CMC, and 1 thing both colors can do at 1 CMC.
Pretty sure most of them have been made as spells already for the ones printed so far. Know Izzet Charm proves it (Spell Pierce, Magma Spray, then careful study/faithless looting) off the top of my head.



Er... Golgari Charm destroys enchantments, and Rakdos Charm destroys artifacts.
afaik, none of the guild charms do any of the 3 effects I posted. If you are talking about the Dragon Charms, Onslaught Charms, or others, then you are wrong (for lack of a nicer way to put it)
For example, green charm from Onslaught Block gave dudes trample, Selesnya Charm does it as well. They don't care much about cycles overlapping a little.

The way to figure out guild charms is this: 1 thing color A does at 1CMC, 1 thing color B does at 1 CMC, and 1 thing both colors can do at 1 CMC.
Pretty sure most of them have been made as spells already for the ones printed so far. Know Izzet Charm proves it (Spell Pierce, Magma Spray, then careful study/faithless looting) off the top of my head.



Er... Golgari Charm destroys enchantments, and Rakdos Charm destroys artifacts.



This is why I shouldn't be posting at 2:30 AM after driving for 6 hours the same day.

That said, I remember there being a split card from TSP that one of the sides was a 2 mana pyroclasm fornon-fliers. Other half dealt 6 to fliers. Didn't see a ton of play. So it wouldn't be the first time they've given a pyroclasm effect a modal angle.

(at)MrEnglish22

afaik, none of the guild charms do any of the 3 effects I posted. If you are talking about the Dragon Charms, Onslaught Charms, or others, then you are wrong (for lack of a nicer way to put it)
For example, green charm from Onslaught Block gave dudes trample, Selesnya Charm does it as well. They don't care much about cycles overlapping a little.

The way to figure out guild charms is this: 1 thing color A does at 1CMC, 1 thing color B does at 1 CMC, and 1 thing both colors can do at 1 CMC.
Pretty sure most of them have been made as spells already for the ones printed so far. Know Izzet Charm proves it (Spell Pierce, Magma Spray, then careful study/faithless looting) off the top of my head.



Er... Golgari Charm destroys enchantments, and Rakdos Charm destroys artifacts.



This is why I shouldn't be posting at 2:30 AM after driving for 6 hours the same day.

That said, I remember there being a split card from TSP that one of the sides was a 2 mana pyroclasm fornon-fliers. Other half dealt 6 to fliers. Didn't see a ton of play. So it wouldn't be the first time they've given a pyroclasm effect a modal angle.



hilariously enough, that card is not pretty commonly run in the board of RUG delver in legacy

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

 

 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

 

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

 

Photobucket

That's because it's pretty techy way to deal with maverick and sometimes Merfolk while keeping your delver alive. 8)

B_F; I'm doing what I do best in a boring, attritive format where people think to get away with playing 4 pillar and 4 thragtusk and have it easy - play an aggro deck, B/r zombies in this case. Yes, I shat on that deck so much because most lists sucked and mine is pretty sweet and I'd rather play that than try deal with thragtusk any other way. My answer to tusk is Crippling Blight, yo. 
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
My answer to Tusk is still Bolas.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

My answer to Tusk is still Bolas.



yea, its a good way to deal.... on turn 7

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

 

 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

 

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

 

Photobucket

My answer to Tusk is still Bolas.



yea, its a good way to deal.... on turn 7


Gilded Lotus, my friend. It has been fantastic for me. That, and Rakdos Keyrune does good work all around.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

You have to consider the fact that an entire set just rotated out, so we are working with a smaller cardpool, as is the case when a new set comes out.

I think there are are plenty of good cards in the pool that are underrated because people cast them aside in favor of the "pushed" cards. You have cards like sensory deprivation and dungeon geists, which normally wouldn't see much play because there are "stronger" removal spells available, but now are popping up here because they have advantages over removal spells against cards like geralf's messenger and thragtusk.

Maybe things like arrest and discard aren't the best removal spell out there, but they might do a good job in this metagame. They might end up not doing enough, but there's no harm in experimenting with some of the rarely played cards. I've been pleasantly surprised before.
My answer to Tusk is still Bolas.



yea, its a good way to deal.... on turn 7


Gilded Lotus, my friend. It has been fantastic for me. That, and Rakdos Keyrune does good work all around.



i accounted for the keyrune, hence turn 7, but i tried gilded lotus and ultimately wasn't impressed.  this format is too.... some generic description word.... to allow lotus.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

 

 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

 

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

 

Photobucket

My answer to Tusk is still Bolas.



yea, its a good way to deal.... on turn 7


Gilded Lotus, my friend. It has been fantastic for me. That, and Rakdos Keyrune does good work all around.



i accounted for the keyrune, hence turn 7, but i tried gilded lotus and ultimately wasn't impressed.  this format is too.... some generic description word.... to allow lotus.



Too anti-durdle?

(at)MrEnglish22

Among other reports, there is an intriguing one about a UW Tempo deck (the guy called it midrange but a quick glance to the list and the game logs would make it obvious that this is typical UW tempo):

magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=10...

I hate Geist of Saint Traft with a passion and this deck feels above everything like playing a "kill the Geist" subgame since every other card is there to protect it, but I fear the list is onto something. This is essentially what I describe as going bigger than Thragtusk in order to defeat it. Some quotes people here should read twice:
We spent all of one evening running the SCG gauntlet through its paces and attempting (and failing) to brew lists like Angel of Glory's Rise-reanimator, Ajani, Caller of the Pride-Boros, and a Bant control list that actually was performing fairly well. We relatively quickly came to the conclusion that the two most impactful cards in the format were Geist of St. Traft and Falkenrath Aristocrat, with Restoration Angel, Jace, Thragtusk, Armada Wurm and Rancor getting honorable mentions as archetype anchors.

We played a game for fun, as based on the standings we would either be playing each other in the first round or on opposite sides of the bracket, and I somehow beat double Huntmaster, double Thragtusk. This deck just felt better and better, and I was more confident than ever that I could take the tournament down.



The only natural predator of the deck seem to be Supreme Verdict and, to a lesser extent, Bonfire of the Damned. I feel it could be tweaked to make it less dependant on drawing Geist but as people start working on it we could easily have the new UW Delver. Counterpoints to the viability of this deck? Points about how any deck can splash for 4 Thragtusks and called it a day against this?
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
Experiment > Tusk as well
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Sign In to post comments