Help me make Selesnya Surge a better deck

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

So i bought Selesnya Surge today for my borther....can anyone help me make this deck better?I have seen some threads about selesnya deck but the cards like wurms and angels and shock lands are out of my budget and i want it for casual play...I want  this deck is to be build around tokens ..So here is the deck list +4 Avacyn's Pilgrim i have added...Any help or suggestions is welcome

Since you want the deck to be about tokens, you first should raise the number of your key token producing cards to 4 if possible. So, mostly keeping to the cards already in the deck:
+2 Centaur's Herald
+1 Seller of Songbirds
+3 Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage
+2 Call of the Conclave
+2 Eyes in the Skies
maybe one or two more Coursers' Accord
+3 Selesnya Guildgate or +4Evolving Wilds, maybe both in exchange for basic lands

Things you can easily drop are
-1 Axebane Stag (a big vanilla creature and not even that powerful for the cost)
-1 Brushstrider (nice in an aggro deck, but you want tokens)
-1 Risen Sanctuary (big body for the cost, but again, nothing to do with tokens)
-2 Bountiful Harvest (just a bad card)
-1 Heroes' Reunion (a little better, but still bad)
-1 Arbor Elf (unless you have something worthwhiule to ramp into, not worth including)

Things, that likely should be cut:
-2 Trostani's Judgment (way to expensive in contructed, Oblivion Ring or Fiend Hunter are just way better)
-1 Druid's Deliverance (Fog effects are usually not worth playing, and there are better populate cards)
-3 Centaur Courser (Centaur Healer is simply better for your deck)
-2 Chorus of Might (Trample is the only thing you would need from this card, once you have enough creatures, you don't need the power/toughness boost. Golgari Decoy is likely the better way to make an alpha strike.)
-1 Rootborn Defenses (can be a lifesaver and totally wrecked me in the prerelease, but in constructed probaly still too weak.)
-1 Healer of the Pride (a full 4 Centaur Healers should be lifegain enough and are much more of a threat.)

Things, that probably should be included more of:
+3 Phantom General (if you can get a, lot of tokens. Playtesting will tell.)
Since you want the deck to be about tokens, you first should raise the number of your key token producing cards to 4 if possible. So, mostly keeping to the cards already in the deck:
+2 Centaur's Herald
+1 Seller of Songbirds
+3 Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage
+2 Call of the Conclave
+2 Eyes in the Skies
maybe one or two more Coursers' Accord
+3 Selesnya Guildgate or +4Evolving Wilds, maybe both in exchange for basic lands

Things you can easily drop are
-1 Axebane Stag (a big vanilla creature and not even that powerful for the cost)
-1 Brushstrider (nice in an aggro deck, but you want tokens)
-1 Risen Sanctuary (big body for the cost, but again, nothing to do with tokens)
-2 Bountiful Harvest (just a bad card)
-1 Heroes' Reunion (a little better, but still bad)
-1 Arbor Elf (unless you have something worthwhiule to ramp into, not worth including)

Things, that likely should be cut:
-2 Trostani's Judgment (way to expensive in contructed, Oblivion Ring or Fiend Hunter are just way better)
-1 Druid's Deliverance (Fog effects are usually not worth playing, and there are better populate cards)
-3 Centaur Courser (Centaur Healer is simply better for your deck)
-2 Chorus of Might (Trample is the only thing you would need from this card, once you have enough creatures, you don't need the power/toughness boost. Golgari Decoy is likely the better way to make an alpha strike.)
-1 Rootborn Defenses (can be a lifesaver and totally wrecked me in the prerelease, but in constructed probaly still too weak.)
-1 Healer of the Pride (a full 4 Centaur Healers should be lifegain enough and are much more of a threat.)

Things, that probably should be included more of:
+3 Phantom General (if you can get a, lot of tokens. Playtesting will tell.)

I like your suggestions and thank you but what do you think about Intangible Virtue

instead of General?Also should i add more Grove of the Guardian and [C]Wayfaring Temple[/c] and some boost like Rancor

I am thinking of adding [C]Selesnya Charm[/c] 

And about the mana pool Grasslands and Selesnya Sanctuary can be any good?

I was keeping to the cards in the deck as well as what just popped up in my mind of recent cards. All those cards you mention are quite good or even amazing and adding them won't be a mistake.

I suggest, you exchange your Chorus of Might and Savage Surge with a full playset of Selesnya Charm.

Another Grove should fit in there, a third may be questionable. Try three, but you might need to cut it again if color issues arise too often.

Evolving Wilds is probably on par with Grasslands, but the former allows you to splash another color if you so wish and find something you really want to include.

Selesnya Sanctuary might prove hindering for your tempo. It is certainly a nice color fixing tool, but right now, you don't have much to do on your first turn, while you ideally want to start putting out tokens on turn two with Call of the Conclave or play a Guildmage. The Guildgate is just the better option, I think. Though the Sanctuary virtually raises your land count a little.

If you happen to put out a large army of tokens consistently enough, Intangible Virtue will be much better than the Phantom General
I was keeping to the cards in the deck as well as what just popped up in my mind of recent cards. All those cards you mention are quite good or even amazing and adding them won't be a mistake.

I suggest, you exchange your Chorus of Might and Savage Surge with a full playset of Selesnya Charm.

Another Grove should fit in there, a third may be questionable. Try three, but you might need to cut it again if color issues arise too often.

Evolving Wilds is probably on par with Grasslands, but the former allows you to splash another color if you so wish and find something you really want to include.

Selesnya Sanctuary might prove hindering for your tempo. It is certainly a nice color fixing tool, but right now, you don't have much to do on your first turn, while you ideally want to start putting out tokens on turn two with Call of the Conclave or play a Guildmage. The Guildgate is just the better option, I think. Though the Sanctuary virtually raises your land count a little.

If you happen to put out a large army of tokens consistently enough, Intangible Virtue will be much better than the Phantom General

I will post an updated decklist tommorow hoping for more help around populate deck i am trying to build :D

Anyway thank you for your help so far

i respectfully disagree withrezzahn about rootbound defenses combat tricks and anti-wrath spells are pretty tech, allowing u to over-extend and not have it bite u in the butt is pretty good, of all the populate spells its probably the only one id main a set of.

So here is what i am thinking to run

So far is 63 cards but i dont think this is problem for casual play

Should i add Eyes in the skies for the flying tokens?

I i wish i could get the charm but now  i cant buy them 

Do i need more removal/protection?

Any ideas?
Any ideas?

Oh wow, Moonsilver Spear is sick! I need to grab a couple of those for my own token deck. That would look really nice in the hands of a Wayfaring Temple enchanted with Rancor.

I think with that spear you should be okay with regards to aerial defenses. It costs the same amount to play as Eyes in the Skies, and another to equip it, so the angels will starting coming out one turn later than if you did go with eyes in the Skies, but if it's on a Wayfaring Temple, you can get two angel tokens per turn, and the angels are way better than the birds.

Overall, I'd say Eyes in the Skies is pretty lackluster until you get a Collective Blessing or a few Phantom Generals or Intangible Virtues on the field.

Looking over your list is actually making me rethink my own list. 
Maybe Growing Ranks
And Parallel Lives?

If i decide to go on FNM with this deck i will try to get those 2 cards because they are sick...
Any ideas?

Oh wow, Moonsilver Spear is sick! I need to grab a couple of those for my own token deck. That would look really nice in the hands of a Wayfaring Temple enchanted with Rancor.

I think with that spear you should be okay with regards to aerial defenses. It costs the same amount to play as Eyes in the Skies, and another to equip it, so the angels will starting coming out one turn later than if you did go with eyes in the Skies, but if it's on a Wayfaring Temple, you can get two angel tokens per turn, and the angels are way better than the birds.

Overall, I'd say Eyes in the Skies is pretty lackluster until you get a Collective Blessing or a few Phantom Generals or Intangible Virtues on the field.

Looking over your list is actually making me rethink my own list. 

Yes the spear is very good card for this deck but i dont see it in many lists maybe beacuse of the cost??Feel free to post your list here maybe i can get ideas from your list
And Parallel Lives?

And Doubling Season too.

I want to keep it standard :D...but Doubling Season is great card
Yes the spear is very good card for this deck but i dont see it in many lists maybe beacuse of the cost??Feel free to post your list here maybe i can get ideas from your list

My deck list is currently very different from yours. I was lucky enough to get two Trostanis and an Armada Wurm at the Prerelease. I didn't get any Calls or Charms though, so mine is much slower:

I could start putting fairly big creatures into play on turn four/five depending on my openning hand, which is really just too slow.

Turn 1: Forest and Centaur's Herald (if I have a Grove in my hand), otherwise, Guildgate
Turn 2:  Gatecreeper Vine
Turn 3: Axebane Guardian
Turn 4: Armada Wurm, Collective Blessing, or Grove->Elemental Token
Turn 5: Eyes in the Skies, if Collective Blessing on turn 4, or whatever else might help me populate the token I got on turn 4 otherwise.

So I ordered some Avacyn's Pilgrim Call of the Conclave Selesnya Charm and Rancor from Star City Games. They should be here tomorrow and I'll work on redoing my deck. I also want to get some of those spears for my main deck and a few Loxodon Smiter for my sideboard. There are at least a couple counter-control guys in my meta. And lastly I want to get a few Sunpetal Groves and maybe some Temple Gardens if I can trade for them. The Sunpetal Groves are cheap enough to buy, and I have a few Overgrown Tomb I should be able to trade for the Temple Gardens.
Got my new cards, so here's an updated decklist:

In playtesting against a dummy opponent who does nothing ever, I have been able to get a Wayfaring Temple out on  turn 2 by getting an Avacyn's Pilgrim out turn one. then one turn 3 drop Eyes in the Skies, Call of the Conclave, or Selesnya Charm to attack with him for three and get a Populate.

I've discovered that Eyes in the Skies is actually pretty great for growing my Wayfaring Temple, since it puts two tokens into play.

Assuming you can get a Pilgrim on turn one and a Temple on turn two, the best plays you could get for turn three would be:

1) Call of the Conclave or Selesnya charm for a token, drop another Pilgrim or a Centaur's Herald, cast Rancor on the Temple and attack. The temple will be a 6/4 with trample and once he damages your opponent and populates, he'll be a 7/5.

2) Eyes in the Skies. Attack with Temple. He'll be a 4/4 without trample, but still might be able to populate up to a 5/5. And you'll have lots of birds.

3)If you don't have a third land to drop into play, you can still play a Charm or a Call for a token, which will boost the temple to 3/3 and allow him to populate if he hits your opponent.

Against a dummy opponent, I can win as early as turn 5, going all out aggro with nob lockers. Of course in a real game, it will probably take longer if they have blockers or you have to worry about defense, but it seems like a solid deck so far. I just wish I had a better way to test it out.