Attunement in 10 minutes just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't really get why the designers settled on 10 minutes for attunement. This seems like it's just a waste of time because I know a lot of DM's who would say the 10 minutes has passed you are attuned to the weapon, basically just hand wave it.

I think it should be an hour or greater because a lot can happen in an hour as compared to 10 minutes.

I wish I knew the reason as to why they came up with 10 minutes and I really hope they change this.
How long does it take you to feel comfortable with a new Smart Phone?

It's not instantaneous, and it doesn't take me hours or days. 

Not the same thing I'm afraid.

Not the same thing I'm afraid.

Why not?

And I'm talking about new smart phones with a different OS, not just an upgrade to the same thing with a new number.

It's an inanimate object with strange powers and you as the  new owner need to feel it and see what cool things it can do. 

I don't really get why the designers settled on 10 minutes for attunement. This seems like it's just a waste of time because I know a lot of DM's who would say the 10 minutes has passed you are attuned to the weapon, basically just hand wave it.

I think it should be an hour or greater because a lot can happen in an hour as compared to 10 minutes.

I wish I knew the reason as to why they came up with 10 minutes and I really hope they change this.

I'mma probably gonna house rule a prolonged attunement based on how potent/unique the item is.
 1/minor effect minutes
2/moderate powers hours
3+/artifact talk to me in days
Also, if the item is intellegent/tasked... that number may... change or instead it may only attune when set to it's purpose.

Then again, I personally like to make a clear divide between magi-mart, mass produced in the Underdark sweatshop magic items and more elegant and personallized wonders.
I have an answer for you, it may even be the truth.
WHy exactly does the time it takes matter? Just house-rule it takes 1 hour if youw ant, but I'm failing to see why it's an issue.
Ten minutes is longer than any combats people do in the game. So you can't swipe the item and say "guys, cover me -- I'm attuning to this thing and I can use it to save the day." That's not an option. But once you're not in combat, it's no big deal. I'd like to think that's intentional.

Personally, I'd rather if attunement took 1 minute, and there were options or rules for it taking less time so that there could be an awesome MacGuffin and the team needs to guard the guy that's attuning to it long enough for him to use it. Seems like a missed opportunity, here. 
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
Maybe attunement is a bad key phrase to state what is actually happening, but at the base level, magic is the technology of a fantasy world, and it will take a set amount of time to learn how to use something new, unless you can use magic to identify the properties. What most would argue is why not let the player and DM decide how long it takes, and state the advantage or disadvantages in the DMs guide in reference to granting players instant magic.
Maybe attunement is a bad key phrase to state what is actually happening, but at the base level, magic is the technology of a fantasy world, and it will take a set amount of time to learn how to use something new, unless you can use magic to identify the properties. What most would argue is why not let the player and DM decide how long it takes, and state the advantage or disadvantages in the DMs guide in reference to granting players instant magic.

Unless Magic isn't tech and it's instead more like art.
At which point it is not a matter of learning, but rather a matter of moving in harmony with. More like making a new friend than learning how my #$%^ing new An- clucking -droid works. 

Seems like a good point of personalization for each DM's game. 
I have an answer for you, it may even be the truth.
i figured it was 10 because that is the length of a short rest
It's so the weapon can't be grabbed and used in combat, but CAN be used in the same adventuring day. If you want to make the process more tedious for players, it's not like you can't make it take longer.
'That's just, like, your opinion, man.'
It's so the weapon can't be grabbed and used in combat, but CAN be used in the same adventuring day. If you want to make the process more tedious for players, it's not like you can't make it take longer.

I don't see how whatever time it is makes it more or less tedious.

I mean, you don't to roleplay the time you're attuning it, it can just be handwaved "10 minutes/1 hour/1 day later".

If you want to attack someone while they're attuning? Time doesn't matter much for this either. "After 5 minutes/30 minutes/12 hours of attuning, SUDDENLY, NINJAS!"
personaly i have been thinking about making atunement s more intresting.

maybe even making the option to attune somthing you do not see with a identify spell.
So you could gie an item to players at lower level and he can use it un atuned, later a NPC they meet had a look at the weapon and finds a makers mark on it.
The players go on a adventure in the forge where the maker of the weapon used to live and as part of the reward they find out that the weapon can be attuned and how.

this would alow fore role play options.
example you could recieve the famely sword from your father when you are level 3.
and then at level 7 discover it can be atuned.
so you don't have to ditch the famely sword for somthing better.

If they are going to present attunement then they need to make it feel more like actual attunement and less like a half assed rule to keep you from picking up a weapon and using it right away.

I think they should have options that allow the DM to decide what and how long the attunement would take, depending on the item in question.
maybe for the hammer of thunderbolts you must go stabd out in a field during a ligtning storm with the hammer raised above your head.
and when ligtning striked you it does not hurt you ut complete the atunement. 
I say make "Attunement" about role playing.
I personally would have said that the triviality or complexity of attunement would depend on the power of the item.  I'm pretty certain that attunement of an artifact might require certain 'rituals' to be completed before the artifact accepted a PC to use its powers whereas something like a flametongue might just require a bit of swinging to get used to the balance of the sword and turning on and off the flames without setting fire to your companions.  

Really, if you don't like the attunement time, just house rule it that it takes longer or shorter depending on what suits your game.  
I'm pretty certain that attunement of an artifact might require certain 'rituals' to be completed before the artifact accepted a PC to use its powers 

see the thing is, they havent yet mentioned any artifacts to attune with. the attuning rules we have now are for BASIC magic items
I think they should have options that allow the DM to decide what and how long the attunement would take, depending on the item in question.

They have this.  In the vernacular, it's referred to as Rule 0.

I don't think that the rule books need to cover every little corner case.  It's a waste of space that could be better used for more rules.  It's like when people state an opinion.  They don't have to preface every opinion with "in my opinion."  It's a waste of time or space.

"But, think of the newbie DMs!"  I'm getting tired of seeing this, too.  Inexperienced DMs don't necessarily need more options.  They need a basic game that they can then build on later.  It doesn't matter for them whether attunement takes 10 minutes or 10 years.  They can go by the rules, and, if they feel that the time needs adjustment, then they can adjust it.

Experienced DMs need no such options in the text because they already know that they can adjust the times.  And, since the only mechanical aspect to attunement is how many attuned items you can use at one time, it's a very small time thing.

Things like first-level hit points, monster power and the like need some guidelines.  Something like attunement isn't even really worth mentioning.

edit: I realize that this post may come off as bitter or angry or something, and, to some point, it is.  But it's not really meant to be that way, especially not toward XunValDort.  I'm just venting a bit about what I've seen on these forums, where some people think that every little aspect of the rules needs some sort of options in the text, when a simple statement of Rule 0 in the first chapter of the DMG will suffice.
Then I would base attunement on the rarity of the item in question or how it fits with your story.  A vorpal sword may want to taste blood sooner rather than later so might attune to a fighter in 5 minutes whereas a wizard that picks it up might take a number of days, weeks, encounters, or a certain hp worth of damage dealt with the sword.  A holy avenger might take merely the paadin picking it up reverently to get in sync with its wielder or require a quest to 'activate' it.  

Then again, you might not really care or possible story hooks might just draw attention away from your current storyline so 10 minutes to attune to an item is fine.

I mean, you don't to roleplay the time you're attuning it, it can just be handwaved "10 minutes/1 hour/1 day later".

If you want to attack someone while they're attuning? Time doesn't matter much for this either. "After 5 minutes/30 minutes/12 hours of attuning, SUDDENLY, NINJAS!"

Then why does it need to take days?  Heck, why give them the item if the characters will either have to sit on their thumbs for 2 days or wait until the adventure is over.
'That's just, like, your opinion, man.'

Just my tuppence on the OP's sentiment:

I don't like 10 minutes either. If attunement is meant to make items feel special, then the investment should reflect that. I think it's way more fun that way and people stop taking systems seriously if they're just swapping out stuff as and when.

Maybe the first attunement should take a while and then once you've done the hard work you could do it quickly? Provided it hasn't been ages since you last used the item.

Could be a decent compromise.

Ideally, I'd like to see attunement have story based requirements. 

I also think there ought to be the option to prevent items from 'reattuning' so that some items can't be passed around the group.

Then why does it need to take days?  Heck, why give them the item if the characters will either have to sit on their thumbs for 2 days or wait until the adventure is over.

Please tell me where I mentioned it has to take days.
I am quite sure that the point of attunement is to make it impossible to use unlimited amounts of charged items in one fight. That's it.

Other items also use attunement, but that's just because when the mechanic exists, why not use it for something.

10 mins is to make it just about impossible to attune in combat, but possible during a 'short rest'.

If I DMed a situation where the attunement time would matter I would do just as I do with rituals, I would make it into a series of checks that determine how long it takes.

But that is only if time is an issue.

If the item was really special I might require more elaborate stuff, arcana lore or even an entire questline to attune.

I am quite sure that the point of attunement is to make it impossible to use unlimited amounts of charged items in one fight. That's it.

If that's true then it's such a missed opportunity to do something really creative and fun.

This is just the first test of the mechanic. I imagine we will see more interesting uses of it further along.
I would go with 10 minutes unless the DM can come up with something more interesting. Then again the phrase "unless the DM can come up with something more interesting" applies to so many rules and guidelines that it should just be a given.

I think it could take one quite a while to learn to be able to always type the correct letter on the pop-up keyboard or how not to get incorrect functions to pop up when using it because you made the wrong motion on the screen... or how to hold it so that is doesn't drop your calls when you make phone calls.. or how to get arounds the broken map function.

So, it is quite conceivable for it to take one hours or days or even weeks to be able to comfortably use it. 

Sign In to post comments