Are newer sets getting weaker?

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a bit of a general observation, I will try to find more evidence as time goes on to support my claim as I'm sure other players will differ in opinion, but it seems that cards are generally getting weaker in the newer sets. That is a broad statement, yes, but what I mean is overall power/mana cost of cards. Let me give you an example, I am building a Rakdos (R/B) aggro deck. The power level of cards seems much weaker compared to the Gruul (R/G) aggro deck I played a few years aggo including such cards as Char, Kird Ape, Giant Solifuge, Rumbling Slum, and Scab-Clan Mauler.

Burn cards have slowly been slipping in power, we go from Lightning Bolt to Incinerate to Searing Spear. Also, don't expect to point 4 damage to the head anymore for 3 mana. You'd have to settle for 3 damage instead. Frown

1 Drop: Kird Ape to Rakdos Cackler.

2 Drop: Scab-Clan Mauler to Rakdos Shred-Freak

3 Drop: Burning-Tree Shaman seems on pair with Hellhole Flailer

4 Drop: But Giant Solifuge to Hellrider doesn't seem as good.

It just seems that if I were building an aggro deck or really anytime of deck for that matter, most of my cards would be from the past because the power of those cards is much greater than what's available today. The overall metagame seems kinda weak in standard in my opinion. Zombies, Reanimator that relies on one card Unburial Rites, some Jund decks, and U/W/R control. It's still taking shape... but anyway. Chime in with your thoughts respectfully please.

Rakdos Cackler is a 2/2 on turn one in a mono colored deck (black or red), that's pretty different than a one drop that can become a 2/3 on turn two (or turn one with certain lands) in a dual colored deck. For three powered two drops you have Gore-House Chainwalker and Mogg Flunkies, they may not have trample, but it's something. Other interesting three drops are Geralf's Messenger, Soulcage Fiend, Kessig Malcontents (if you have humans), Crossway Vampire, Splatter Thug, and Reckless Brute.


I'll give you the other mana costs, but I don't see how you can complain about four drops. Falkenrath Aristocrat and Hellrider are both insane cards.


And for burn you may not having Lightning Bolt, but you do at least have Brimstone Volley and Bonfire of the Damned, which can both do big things. They may not be the best in Rakdos aggro though.

I think generally speaking - COMBO is getting marginalized a little to negate the need for EVERYONE to have to use blue for counter, in order to be competitive.  I personally have nothing bad to say about this.
Given how great some of the combo have been in the past (previous Ravnica for example since we're talking about RtR), I'm surprised this set seems to be very creature-beats & hate/answer-filled biased to be honest.
  
The massive creatures are getting more massive and more powerful and the really massive spells (like Omniscience) are getting more game breaking.  The game is definitely evolving - I just hope the blue fanboys don't get their way and plunge us into another "everyone has to play blue" era.

If anything - It seems to me that the nature of WoTC decision not to repeat any previous blocks' mechanics, and what seems to be a reluctance to print anything meta-dominating for combo is a good thing. 
Considering the eternal formats, many of the newer cards get into the top decks-to-beat, without being auto-banned and whilst improving the deck or answering hate.  For formats like Vintage and Legacy, where some of the decks don't change for years at a time, this is a big thing.    I take it this means we have some power creep.

For what it's worth - R/B is the weakest colour combination there is due to what they cannot answer.
Red and Black literally have only one coloured card in all of magic to answer enchantments that I can recall (correct me if I wrong).
I hope Rakdos gets some better cards in the next two sets to make up for this. 
Im sure MaRo has addressed this question on his Tumblr.

Power level ebbs and flows, and swings like a pendulum. If it kept going up and up it would spiral out of control, so every now and again they "reset" things by bringing them back down for a while. This gives them a chance to build them back up again for a while.

~ Tim   
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
People are always whining that how aggro's power level has increased. So I unno lol

Red and Black literally have only one coloured card in all of magic to answer enchantments that I can recall (correct me if I wrong).


Capricious Efreet

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Tim, that's exactly the same thing as not an answer. :<
Tim, that's exactly the same thing as not an answer. :<


He said to correct him if he was wrong, and he was. Capricious Efreet is a mono-red card that can remove enchantments. 

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
:negative:
Would you rather be playing YGO, with increasingly faster formats?
Always right, 102% of the time.
:negative:


What makes you think that it isnt?

*confused* 

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Oh, no, on the SA forums, :negative: is a yellow brick person on his hands and knees, weeping; that is how WotC's approach to shoring up B/R's weaknesses makes me feel.
Hey, but Nevinyrral's Disk is a black card, right? And it kills enchantments. So there's that.

As for OP:
Lightning Bolt was making a one night only special appearance anyways. It wasn't ever supposed to be bringing burn back to that level. Similarly, Searing Spear is exactly the same as Incinerate in 95% of situations. There's something like two relevant targets in standard where it makes a difference which one you're using.

Scab-Clan Mauler is usually pretty bad. It requires some pretty good luck to land as a 3/3 consistently. Contrast with Crimson Muckwader, Flinthoof Boar, Garruk's Companion and others that enter with 3 power.

Kird Ape to Rakdos Cackler isn't really a fair comparison since Kird Ape basically requires two colors (Red and green) whereas the Cackler only requires one of two.

If you thing Burning-Tree Shaman is as good as Hellhole Flailer you are drastically overestimating the power of the shaman. As a side note: Dreg Mangler

At four drops I'm guessing you're just not very good at card evaluation: Giant Solifuge is definitely worse than Hellrider and it's worse than Falkenrath Aristocrat. Rumbling Slum wishes it could be as cool as Deadbridge Goliath

Aggro is definitely much better than it was. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I think generally speaking - COMBO is getting marginalized a little to negate the need for EVERYONE to have to use blue for counter, in order to be competitive.  I personally have nothing bad to say about this.
Given how great some of the combo have been in the past (previous Ravnica for example since we're talking about RtR), I'm surprised this set seems to be very creature-beats & hate/answer-filled biased to be honest.
  
The massive creatures are getting more massive and more powerful and the really massive spells (like Omniscience) are getting more game breaking.  The game is definitely evolving - I just hope the blue fanboys don't get their way and plunge us into another "everyone has to play blue" era.

If anything - It seems to me that the nature of WoTC decision not to repeat any previous blocks' mechanics, and what seems to be a reluctance to print anything meta-dominating for combo is a good thing. 
Considering the eternal formats, many of the newer cards get into the top decks-to-beat, without being auto-banned and whilst improving the deck or answering hate.  For formats like Vintage and Legacy, where some of the decks don't change for years at a time, this is a big thing.    I take it this means we have some power creep.
...



This is pretty biased.

If you look at Legacy (where all of those "broken" combos and counterspells are allowed), there are many succesful decks that dont run blue for counterspells.  They manage to thrive because other colors have other options for beating combo decks.

The metagame is so varied that it evolves constantly to deal with whatever matchups are most common at a given time.  It has aggro, combo, and control decks that exist in a balance with each other, as well as various decks that include elements from all of the above.  And even in Legacy, "broken" combo and control decks get beat by aggro, they are just actually allowed to exist.

Completely removing viable combo and control and leaving only aggro is where WOTC has been going with Standard, and its lame.  Standard has aggro, midrange aggro, and aggro control.  Thats about it.

 

One minor note: Burning-Tree Shaman was a $15-card in its original standard, before it became a card that doesn't get played in any format.

Rakdos Cackler is a 2/2 on turn one in a mono colored deck (black or red), that's pretty different than a one drop that can become a 2/3 on turn two (or turn one with certain lands) in a dual colored deck. For three powered two drops you have Gore-House Chainwalker and Mogg Flunkies, they may not have trample, but it's something. Other interesting three drops are Geralf's Messenger, Soulcage Fiend, Kessig Malcontents (if you have humans), Crossway Vampire, Splatter Thug, and Reckless Brute.




In a deck, the Cackler is a 2/2 (albeit with the "can't block" downside) that you can play on turn 1 if your starting hand's lands consist of a mountain, a Rakdos Guildgate, and a Dragonskull Summit. You can play Diregraf Ghoul if you get a swamp or a Blood Crypt, so it really depends on if you're willing to gamble "Will I get black?" To ask that, you have to ask yourself about how many swamps and mountains you'll need, which can be answered by your proportion of black and red mana symbols in your spells' casting cost, weighted as "Necropotence is , or 1+1/2+1/3=1 5/6 mana". (This gets tough with Phyrexian Obliterator and insane with Rushwood Elemental or Primalcrux.) If you're not playing a third color, can be ignored (Off-color hybrid counts as monocolored.), but if you are, count hybrid as half that for both colors. For a gold spell, add the appropriate number to both.

Of course, whether you use Rakdos Cackler or Diregraf Ghoul then effects the amount of black or red mana you play. See how my reasoning goes in a circle? You can't beat it. It's airtight!

Kird Ape is good, but it also depends on you getting a forest in your first eight or nine cards.

I wouldn't put much stock in a three-power creature with trample. It matters most on creatures with power five or greater. But, barring a ridiculous downside that whispers to Johnny, no two-drop will ever be that big. I would say that Rakdos Shred-Freak can go into seven two-color combinations and nine three-color combinations. Scab-Clan Mauler can go into one two-color combination and three three-color combinations.

In a or or deck right now, Curse of Stalked Prey might be my number-one two-drop.

I'd say Hellrider is better. First, red shroud? (Remember, hybrids have to only do things red or green can do.) Secondly, a 4/1 with shroud does nothing against my first striker. Say, I don't know, Porcelain Legionnaire? Boros Recruit? Mirran Crusader? Or in Standard right now, you'd have Abattoir Ghoul, Ash Zealot, Attended Knight, Odric, Master Tactician, and Runechanter's Pike. And I can't even cast Giant Growth on the guy because shroud.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
This is pretty biased.

If you look at Legacy (where all of those "broken" combos and counterspells are allowed), there are many succesful decks that dont run blue for counterspells.  They manage to thrive because other colors have other options for beating combo decks.

Completely removing viable combo and control and leaving only aggro is where WOTC has been going with Standard, and its lame.  Standard has aggro, midrange aggro, and aggro control.  Thats about it.



Fair point.
Of course it's biased, it's my opinion - just as your statement is shaded by your thoughts aswell.
Would you expect me to even bother writing something that isn't biased/opinionated in an opinion based thread?

I couldn't agree more about nothing-but-aggro sucking, I really don't want to play standard for that reason.
Part of the reason I've been enjoying Legacy so much lately is the variation in cards and strategies, and the possibility of making any deck idea work due to the cardpool available, and being able to make creature-free decks that work.
 
Ways to combat Combo are around, just as there are ways to beat graveyard based decks like Dredge, but the difference I feel is that with Graveyard hate, you don't need to be playing certain colours, whereas combo hate is definitely easier should you be playing certain colours, depending on the combo in question.   

 Maverick & Goblins aren't blue and run very "fair" cards, and I'd feel happy taking either to a competitive meet - however both decks have no option but to race fast-combo game1.  Should Emrakul drop on turn 2 c/o Elf-combo, you get stormed out before you've even had a turn or you run into Omniscience on turn 2.....  you're in it up to your neck in game2.
Whilst Mav. does have Teeg, it's not always guaraunteed you'll find the little fella.
Blue counter shouldn't have to be necessary to be competitive, but it does make some matchups less of an autolose (like Storm).

Relevant to our OP, is RtR weak or strong compared to other sets?
Obviously we'll have to wait and see what the next two installments are like, but so far I'm liking the uncounterable cards.
I do find it kinda funny that "Uncounterable" is in a block that (so far) only has 3 non-conditional counterspells, only one of which fits in mono-blue, Cancel
I remember a time not so long ago when reprinting Lightning Bolt would have been utterly and completely unthinkable.

Hell, I remember a time also not that long ago when reprinting Savannah Lions would have been unthinkable.

The game's general power level is going up at a controlled pace, with fluctuations on certain things being quite common.
Burn cards have slowly been slipping in power, we go from Lightning Bolt to Incinerate to Searing Spear.

That is not true. We went from Lightning Bolt to Incinerate to Volcanic Hammer to Incinerate to Lightning Bolt to Incinerate to Searing Spear. Not much of a trend.
Hellrider is pretty insane. In a creature-heavy format I'll take him over Solifuge any day.


Burn cards have slowly been slipping in power, we go from Lightning Bolt to Incinerate to Searing Spear. Also, don't expect to point 4 damage to the head anymore for 3 mana. You'd have to settle for 3 damage instead. Frown


You know they reprinted Lightning bolt in M10 and M11, right? They like to mix it up.

1 Drop: Kird Ape to Rakdos Cackler.


First off cackler is nothing to sneeze at. Rakdos cards are boring, not weak (Hell, for a long time a 2/2 for 1 was too good). Secondly, comparing it to one of the poster boys for undercosted beats is like comparing Rakdos Signet to black lotus.

2 Drop: Scab-Clan Mauler to Rakdos Shred-Freak


Better, but lets actually compare, shall we?
2/1 haste for two hybrid mana in BR that more often than not will be a 3/2 with basically no drawback.

1/1 trample for one of each color, one of which is the creature color that's conditionally a 3/3 (Which is an admittedly easy condition, but you can always  drop shredder as a 3/2 on turn 2, whereas with this guy you need a gut shot or a 1 drop to do so).

3 Drop: Burning-Tree Shaman seems on pair with Hellhole Flailer


Pretty much, I think Flailer is better here, since shaman depends on your opponent (although his stats are solid) and flailer can give your deck that extra bit of reach.

4 Drop: But Giant Solifuge to Hellrider doesn't seem as good.


Those go in two completely different decks, but Solifuge trades with a cat, whereas hell rider is like "You blocked five of my 12 1/1 goblins? Like I care." Honestly I'd rather run Hellrider most of the time. 
Chime in with your thoughts respectfully please.


Your card evaluation skills could use some polish. Or I guess your ability to tell apples and oranges apart .

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Rakdos Shred-Freak doesn't have Unleash.
Rakdos Shred-Freak doesn't have Unleash.


Oh huh, how about that. But he's still about on par with mauler considering the different mana costs, and that green is supposed to have a slight edge when it comes to creatures.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
AHAHAHA

First person to say creatures modern creatures are worse. 
I'd personally say that they've had to scale the power creep back a bit with the advent of Modern. Since about Innistrad, they seem to have made a conscious effort to drop the number of cards per set that break Modern in half to a mere handful, and that seems to in turn reduce the power creep.
Though it also seems to have brought about the advent of cards that at first look are as weak as anything, but would actually be secretly broken if they were any better. Case in point being Codex Shredder. If that last ability cost instead of , I suspect someone might've broken it in Modern by now...
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Rakdos Shred-Freak doesn't have Unleash.


Oh huh, how about that. But he's still about on par with mauler considering the different mana costs, and that green is supposed to have a slight edge when it comes to creatures.


Were you thinking of Gore-House Chainwalker?
Power is possibly the most vague term we use in Magic to describe how "good" stuff is.  To be frank though, OP- you're right, but in an awkward way. Terravore was largely depowered to make Knight of the Reliquary, but given a small engine to snowball itself in turn. They re-engineered Psychatog into Lotleth Troll to have the same effect, but in a much more fair way. Cap'n Tickles and Hellrider, play entirely different roles. R&D likes to create fair versions of notoriously broken cards. However, people make the counterpoint of Dryad Militant being a super Savannah Lions in two colors. And Steppe Lynx is often regarded as besting Isamaru (and Goldmeadow Stalwart, my favorite 2/2 for 1 variant).  The dominant idea seeming to be that R&D wants to empower bears and lions because they were always fair to begin with and make "fair" versions of the broken stuff to feed us an interesting mix of the NWO's idea of "creatures are viable".  That said, some of the spells are so ridiculously juiced, while others are nerfed beyond reason (Cancel). This is to say that while the common idea is that creatures got better, and spells got worse- we're in the strange limbo dance of many "worse" versions of proven contenders, and more improved versions of "fair" materials of yesteryear. 

That said, I like the constant give-and-take though at some set releases the give and take seem far too dramatic.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Rakdos Shred-Freak doesn't have Unleash.


Oh huh, how about that. But he's still about on par with mauler considering the different mana costs, and that green is supposed to have a slight edge when it comes to creatures.


Were you thinking of Gore-House Chainwalker?


Nah I just read the card and saw
"Haste
Unleash"
Might've been a trick of the flavor text. I think I have a tendency to view cards as what they have the potential to be rather than what they are sometimes. For the longest time I thought Spin into Myth had Delve. Even played it as such in a few casual games. And I didn't know Boneknitter had morph until like two or three years of Zombie tribal shenanigans.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Generally speaking, sets are believed to have been getting weaker up to about Fifth Edition or so, and even perhaps up to about Mirrodin and its successor... but more recently, as Wizards has gained confidence and experience in set design, the trend, at least as I understand it, is generally believed t be a much slower trend upwards, as Wizards rebounds from having limited the strength of sets more than necessary.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

 

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Burn cards have slowly been slipping in power, we go from Lightning Bolt to Incinerate to Searing Spear.

That is not true. We went from Lightning Bolt to Incinerate to Volcanic Hammer to Incinerate to Lightning Bolt to Incinerate to Searing Spear. Not much of a trend.



Volcanic Hammer is strictly worse than Searing Spear. Sear-iously.

Hellrider is pretty insane. In a creature-heavy format I'll take him over Solifuge any day.



Even in EDH, he can get pretty nasty with Rith. So yeah.

Rakdos Shred-Freak doesn't have Unleash.


Oh huh, how about that. But he's still about on par with mauler considering the different mana costs, and that green is supposed to have a slight edge when it comes to creatures.



IIRC, it goes

green/white
black
red
blue

But sometimes you get stuff like Delver of Secrets, Blighted Agent, Snapcaster Mage, and Invisible Stalker that says "Really?"

AHAHAHA

First person to say creatures modern creatures are worse. 



Baneslayer Angel laughs at "modern creatures are worse".

@quadibloc:
I'd say sets got weaker until Alliances, got stronger until Mercadian Masques, then got relatively stronger (Prophecy is far weaker than Nemesis.) until the Mirrodin block, then got weaker until Ravnica, and have been getting stronger since, with exceptions. (Obviously, Rise of the Eldrazi isn't as strong as Worldwake.) I'd argue that AVR and RTR aren't as strong as anything since Zendikar (except for ROE), though.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
....But sometimes you get stuff like Delver of Secrets, Blighted Agent, Snapcaster Mage, and Invisible Stalker that says "Really?"



I hear ya!
For blue to get awesome creatures aswell is kinda insulting to green, which SHOULD be getting the creature threats that have everyone wanting to play green to get them in the deck.
Many blue creatures (like Delver & Fog Bank) have great synergy with blue strategy, sometimes more so than green.

Griselbrand says Baneslayer angel is weak and puny

@bay_falconer
Exalted Angel existed premodern, which is pretty similar. But yes, Modern creatures are often more powerful. Even sometimes taking on the appearance of old overpowered spells, like Fauna Shaman.




Baneslayer Angel laughs at "modern creatures are worse".


And Halo Hunter cries.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
If you want to talk about new sets getting weaker, I wouldn't be comparing them based on aggro creatures. Largly, I am unimpressed by Return to Ravnica. I'll site several examples.

Abrupt Decay - It's basically a glorified Smother that can't be countered and hits non-creatures. Sure it's good, but how is this deserving of a rare slot? It's just spot removal.

Dreadbore - It's a sorcery speed Terminate that can hit planeswalkers. Decent, sure, but why is it that spot removal is now being printed at rare moreso in RTR than in the past? Especially considering these spot removals aren't that great compared to their non-rare counterparts.  
  
Rakdos's Return - This one is the worst offender imo. At 3 and 4 mana, Rakdos's Return is strictly worse than Blightning. At 5 mana, it's debatable which is better, but all you're getting for your extra 2 mana investment is one more card discarded. What really baffles me here is that Blightning is a common (a common that was highly valued, but nontheless, a common) while Rakdos's Return is a $15 mythic rare. Really? This is what magic is coming to, $15 mythic rares that are pretty much strictly worse than commons that were printed years ago? I'm glad I don't play paper magic anymore. Duels of the Planeswalkers give me more than enough for my magic fix, and the value is beyond great for the price I pay.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

 

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

 

I am Blue/White

@megamaster125
After actually drafting the set I can now see exactly why R&D did this. They wanted to make removal in limited situational or slow, they wanted to make it actually a hard choice whether to pick a removal spell or a creature. Abrupt Decay deals with a lot of incredibly important things for two mana at instant speed, including Centaur tokens and Stab Wound. Dreadbore is just unconditional removal for two, at least Auger Spree costs one more, misses some important bombs, and loses to a Giant Growth (it's still a fantastic spell though). Rakdos's Return is a situational bomb in limited. It can be make your opponent discard their hand (when their hand is still at three or four cards) easily in limited, and it also causes your opponent to lose life. It can even be a great top deck Fireball to just finish the game.
I can understand that when you put it in the perspective of limited. I was never really into drafting/limited when I played paper magic, but I will admit that drafting RtR looks fun. I'm just not one to really consider limited/draft when looking at stuff like this.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

 

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

 

I am Blue/White

Even as a limited player I really didn't even understand it until I had actually consumed the format. It's just so expected for there to be prime removal at even common (like a Doom Blade, Lightning Bolt, and Pacifism variant).

Baneslayer Angel laughs at "modern creatures are worse".


And Halo Hunter cries.


That would be a cool card if it didn't blow. 

Baneslayer Angel laughs at "modern creatures are worse".


And Halo Hunter cries.


That would be a cool card if it didn't blow. 


Man, it's a cool card because it blows. It kills angels. Let's run through a list of angels you might want to kill:
Akroma- Pro black
Iona - Can't cast black spells
Baneslayer - Pro demons
Sigarda - Hexproof
Chameleon Collossus - Pro Black
Tarmogoyf - Not an angel.
Teleportal -Now this is just getting silly.

It's like ironic hell embodied or something. 

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

Baneslayer Angel laughs at "modern creatures are worse".


And Halo Hunter cries.


That would be a cool card if it didn't blow. 


Man, it's a cool card because it blows. It kills angels. Let's run through a list of angels you might want to kill:
Akroma- Pro black
Iona - Can't cast black spells
Baneslayer - Pro demons
Sigarda - Hexproof
Chameleon Collossus - Pro Black
Tarmogoyf - Not an angel.
Teleportal -Now this is just getting silly.

It's like ironic hell embodied or something. 



Amoeboid Changeling

I think right now creatures are becoming more powerful, and spells are being toned down. When the game was young (from what I can tell) spells were leaps and bounds more efficient than creatures.



Would you rather be playing YGO, with increasingly faster formats?


Recently the game has been slowing down because of decks like Wind Ups and DinoRabbit, with the recent banlist the Sept. 2012 format is actually really slow.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Sign In to post comments