Mr. Traft Goes to Ravnica - Bant Populate

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a new deck I have been working on. It started out as an idea of making a Bant Delver list that used Call of the Conclave as a creature that fuels both Delver and Snapcaster, plus the interaction of Rootborn Defenses and Geist of Saint Traft. 

I have since kept all that stuff except the Delvers and turned it into more of a midrange deck based around populate as source of card advantage.

The list is definitely not optimal, as I am choosing to only make it of my available cards, so for example I probably want 4 Geists, but only have 3 currently. Feel free to offer suggestions like adding a 4th Geist and the like, as this is definitely a deck I can see playing for a long time and have to problem aquiring the cards.

The sideboard is especially random as my limited testing doesn't make it quite clear what I need to be able to do, so any suggestions would be great.

Lands [26]
3 Hallowed Fountain
2 Temple Garden
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Sunpetal Grove
2 Hinterland Harbor
2 Island
3 Plains
3 Forest
1 Grove of the Guardian
1 Gavony Township
1 Moorland Haunt

Creatures [16]
2 Snapcaster Mage
1 Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage
3 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
4 Restoration Angel
4 Thragtusk

Sorceries [4]
4 Call of the Conclave

Instants [9]
1 Divine Deflection
1 Syncopate
2 Cyclonic Rift 
1 Azorius Charm
2 Selesnya Charm
2 Rootborn Defenses

Enchantments [3]
1 Detention Sphere
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Collective Blessing

Planeswalkers [2]
2 Garruk Relentless 

Sideboard [15]
1 Armada Wurm
1 Azorius Charm
1 Azor's Elocultors
1 Detention Sphere
1 Druid's Deliverance
1 Garruk, Primal Hunter
2 Feeling of Dread
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Jace, Memory Adept
1 Rhox Faithmender
2 Rest in Peace
1 Ulvenwald Tracker
1 Wolfir Silverheart
I actually quite enjoy this idea, but I feel like I would go about this in a very different route. I would probably abuse the instant - token gen spells along with flicker spells as much as possible, filling the rest in with spot removal. May change the creature base slightly.

Actually if you would like, I think I may brew up a list for something along these lines...I can come back and post it here. Will give me something to do with my delver deck that is sitting in a box crying now that a portion of it has cycled. 
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with
So a rough copy I made looks something like this (keep in mind this is untested, so it could be a horrid abomination that I should be slapped for making)

Creatures - 18
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice x2
Snapcaster Mage x4
Geist of Saint Traft x4
Restoration Angel x4
Thragtusk x4

Spells x 16
Rootborn Defenses x4
Feeling of Dread x4**
Detention Sphere x3
Cyclonic Rift x3
Sphinx's Revelation x2**

Planeswalkers
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage x2**

Lands 

Hallowed Fountain x4
Glacial Fortress x4
Temple Garden x4 (currently indexed as Sunpetal Grove for me)
Hinterland Harbor x2
haven't quite decided how to break down the rest of the lands..any suggestions?

SB: 15
Azorius Charm x3
Selesnya Charm x3
Jace, Architect of Thought x1
Think Twice x2
Quirion Dryad x3
Centaur Healer x3

Please note the ** cards are ones I am unsure of for the deck...although I can see them fitting quite well.

It warped into a much more controlling route than I originally intended - also didn't use Cloudshift - flickery effects outside of the Angel. I can definitely see the arguement for charms maindeck to give extra options to keep GoST alive - but I feel like Feeling of Dread and Tamiyo, the Moon Sage run some pretty stellar defense, along with Rootborn Defenses making stuff indestructible

How do you feel about it? I am not sure the card amounts are right..this will take some testing for sure, but I think it has potential.
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Created with
Played several games with the weird version that I posted. Lost to rakdos aggro, went 4 of 6 against a ramp/pump deck using Hydra's and other fatties that get counters. Dominated an izzet burn/control deck several times. Split a 6 game set with pack rats deck. 

Overall it worked..but it just feels weird...not sure I like it - needs some editing to be sure.

As catowner so...politely...pointed out - Trostani doesn't fit, I yanked her after a few games - along with Tamiyo (who worked, but was slow and durdley) and placed in charms and an extra cyclonic rift.  
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Created with
Trostani with 5 colorless sources/islands.

SoPro. 

Played several games with the weird version that I posted. Lost to rakdos aggro, went 4 of 6 against a ramp/pump deck using Hydra's and other fatties that get counters. Dominated an izzet burn/control deck several times. Split a 6 game set with pack rats deck. 

Overall it worked..but it just feels weird...not sure I like it - needs some editing to be sure. 

As catowner so...politely...pointed out - Trostani doesn't fit, I yanked her after a few games - along with Tamiyo (who worked, but was slow and durdley) and placed in charms and an extra cyclonic rift.  

Like I said, I haven't test it too uch against a wide variety of decks, hopefully I get some good games in tomorrow at my LGS Standard night.

Trostani has so far been a house whenever I have played her. Some decks she is just like Olivia and must immediately be answered or there is noway they will catch up. Sometimes yes she can't come down on turn 4, but once I aquire a few more duals I can have 23 lands that cast her and the 3 utility lands. 

What I am finding about this deck is that is is very flexible in how it wants to play out each game. It still needs a lot of work and I'll post tomorrow's results, but I think this deck definitely has a future.