10/15/2012: Draft Simulator

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I have no idea how the hell I got a 7th pick Intrepid Hero pack 1 but it's worth spalshing white for.  Especially as I later get Rancor 5th pick pack 3.  Wonder if I can really go Green/Red, splashing White for 2 cards and Black for 3 or 2.

I really hate deck building without the cards in hand to see and just by the names.  It makes it kind of hard to get a real feel for everything to me at least.

Round 1:
Volcanic Geyser
Mark of the Vampire
Spiked Baloth
Primal Huntbeast
Ring of Kalonia
Trumpet Blast
Intrepid Hero
Elvish Visionary
Krenko's Command
Plummet
Mogg Flunkies
Ring of Thune
Faith's Reward
Warclamp Mastiff
Mountain

Round 2:
Prized Elephant
Sentinel Spider
Searing Spear
Mark of the Vampire
Deadly Recluse
Spiked Baloth
Elvish Visionary
Primal Huntbeast
Trumpet Blast
Bond Beetle
Mind Sculpt
Ground Seal
Angel's Mercy
Gem of Becoming
Swamp

Round 3:
Disciple of Bolas
Roaring Primadox
Searing Spear
Trumpet Blast
Rancor
Fungal Sprouting
Titanic Growth
Ring of Thune
Farseek
Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
Krenko's Command
Plummet
Hydrosurge
Kraken Hatchling
Mountain

Ok heres my final cut deck.  Whew it was tough to cut it down this far.  I pretty much left out all the token generating + 2 of the TBlasts, also left out the double red Volcanic though it was a tough choice.  Only running 16 Lands as  nothing in my deck costs more than 5 mana and if I can ever get the Roaring/Visionary combo going it will probably be a quick game.  Not to mention getting the Hexproof Primal+Vampire mark going, or perhaps putting it on my spider for the double wammy of atk and block.

CREATURES - 12

Prized Elephant - W *
Intrepid Hero - W *
Roaring Primadox *
Sentinel Spider *
2xElvish Visionary *
Mwonvuli Beast Tracker *
2xPrimal Huntbeast
Deadly Recluse
2xSpiked Baloth

SPELLS - 12

Fungal Sprouting
Ring of Kalonia
2xMark of the Vampire - B
Rancor *
1xTrumpet Blast - R
2xFarseek *
2xSearing Spear - R *
2xPlummet *

LANDS

Forests - 9
Mountains - 3 (3)
Plains - 2 (2)
Swamps - 2 (2)

This draft let me do one of my favorite underplayed archtypes:  Red/Blue spells.

The Draft: 

The Deck: 

Is it wrong to run a deck with Kraken Hatchlings as your primary offense?  Maybe.  Hopefully your opponent doesn't figure out how critical the two rings are to the deck, but it's subtle enough that I doubt this would be a problem except occasionally on a game 3.  This deck could really have benefited from some fliers and a negate or two, but ultimately I think it would be pretty fun to play.

Should I have maindecked the sleep?  Not sure.
Going Exhaulted early pays off.  There were several choices in the first pack that can influence you, but I have found that when I went with some of those I tended to have bad drafts, so I went with the very playable common in a strong set theme instead.

Creatures (16):
Tormented Soul  -- Exhaulted=1 Attacker, Unblockable=clock
Duty-Bound Dead x 3
War Falcon -- Creates serious problems if he is activated early
Ravenous Rats
War Priest of Thune
Aven Squire
Servant of Nefarox
Crusader of Odric
Attended Knight
Guardians of Akrasa x 2
Intrepid Hero -- Ensures your opponents threats are minimal in size
Disciple of Bolas -- Takes advantage of Exhault bonuses to refill life and hand.
Sublime Archangel -- If they don't have instant kill, dropping him can end game

Spells (4):
Crippling Blight
Pacifism
Divine Verdict
Captain's Call

Artifacts (3):
Ring of Thune x 2
Ring of Xathrid

Land (17):
Plains x 9
Swamp x 8

Exhault decks all have same flaw, low toughness when not the "exhaulted one".  But with 5 solid defenders this deck should survive better than most.  Add in rings to allow threats to grow, and come into play effects on non-exhaulted creatures allows everything enhance the board in some way.  Don't forget that sometimes you might use Ring of Thune to attack with one creature and then move to another for the +1/+1 passive.  Landing the Sublime Archangel in pack 2 (late for that card too!) was just one of those moments when you know you chose right.  Passed on some removal to ensure I have enough theme creatures was tough, but this deck is pretty fast, so I don't think limited removal will be too big a deal, just want enough to keep crippling creatures from sitting opposite you.

I really like this deck, one of my better exhaulted drafts.

Round 1:
Volcanic Geyser
Mark of the Vampire
Mogg Flunkies
Fire Elemental
Cower in Fear
Ring of Xathrid
Intrepid Hero
Torch Fiend
Krenko's Command
Plummet
Goblin Battle Jester
Ring of Thune
Faith's Reward
Warclamp Mastiff
Mountain

Round 2:
Mindclaw Shaman
Predatory Rampage
Searing Spear
Bladetusk Boar
Hamletback Goliath
Gem of Becoming
Walking Corpse
Fire Elemental
Trumpet Blast
Goblin Arsonist
Mind Sculpt
Tormented Soul
Angel's Mercy
Kindled Fury
Swamp

Round 3:
Disciple of Bolas
Mogg Flunkies
Searing Spear
Canyon Minotaur
Crimson Muckwader
Bladetusk Boar
Goblin Battle Jester
Volcanic Strength
Dragon Hatchling
Smelt
Krenko's Command
Plummet
Hydrosurge
Kraken Hatchling
Mountain

Focused on red from the get go, figured to splash black but drafted some significant cards in other colors in case an opportunity warranted a shift to a different splash.  My inner Timmy really wanted to play "Big Hamlet", but without evasion possibilities, unless conditions warrant I think he should begin the match on the bench.

Creatures (16+)
Goblin Arsonist
Tormented Soul
Dragon Hatchling
2 x Mogg Flunkies
Torch Fiend
Crimson Muckwader
2 x Bladetusk Boar
Canyon Minotaur
2 x Goblin Battle Jester
Disciple of Bolas
Mindclaw Shaman
2 x Fire Elemental

Other Spells (8-)
Kindled Fury
Krenko's Command
2 x Searing Spear
Trumpet Blast
Cower in Fear
Mark of the Vampire
Volcanic Geyser

Land (16)
10 x Mountain
6 x Swamp

Notable Sideboard
Walking Corpse
Hamletback Goliath
Smelt
Krenko's Command
Volcanic Strength
Gem of Becoming
Ring of Xathrid

R/G for sure.  Only difficult pick was pack 3 pick 2 whether I should take primadox or yeva.  Picked yeva b/c I hadn't picked enough support from primadox to make it worth more than a 4/4 flash for 4 that gives most of my other creatures flash.

Actually I lied.  I went 5-color, just for the Door.  I picked up 2 Farseeks, a Gilded Lotus, and a Boundless Realms earlier so when I saw the door I know it was possible.  And you always play the door if it's possible.  Always.  Because it's funny.

Round 1:
Volcanic Geyser
Quirion Dryad
Flinthoof Boar
Gilded Lotus
Ring of Kalonia
Deadly Recluse
Intrepid Hero
Elvish Visionary
Farseek
Plummet
Goblin Battle Jester
Ring of Thune
Faith's Reward
Warclamp Mastiff
Mountain

Round 2:
Mindclaw Shaman
Sentinel Spider
Furnace Whelp
Bladetusk Boar
Pacifism
Timberpack Wolf
Boundless Realms
Fungal Sprouting
Goblin Arsonist
Goblin Arsonist
Naturalize
Ground Seal
Bountiful Harvest
Gem of Becoming
Swamp

Round 3:
Farseek
Yeva, Nature's Herald
Searing Spear
Canyon Minotaur
Rancor
Bladetusk Boar
Arbor Elf
Divine Verdict
Dragon Hatchling
Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
Yeva's Forcemage
Door to Nothingness
Divine Favor
Kraken Hatchling
Mountain

Creatures (18)

Non-Creatures (11)
[deck]
1x Rancor
1x Ring of Kalonia
2x Farseek
1x Pacifism
1x Searing Spear
1x Volcanic Geyser
1x Divine Verdict
1x Gilded Lotus
1x Boundless Realms
1x Door to Nothingness
[/deck]

Lands (20)
[deck]
2x Swamp
2x Island
2x Plains
8x Forest
6x Mountain
[/deck]

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Sign In to post comments