10/15/2012 Feature: "Closed for Renovations"

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "Closed for Renovations", which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Well, that's disappointing.  Not only is one of the few (arguably the only) Johnny columns left on the site going down for 'a few months' but the fill-in is an article that covers what is already freqently (especially around the release of a new set) covered by Limited Information?

sadface.  Its a wonder I even check this site anymore. The audience you seem to be catering to seems to be narrowing more and more as time goes by.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
That really sucks, but I hope Noel will go on to do something else awesome. His articles were one of the reasons I got back into Magic and they were always incredibly interesting ideas. Hopefully someone can step up soon and brew something incredible, I would, but my writing sucks and most of my deck ideas have yet to bloom. Once again, thanks for all the cool ideas sir deCordova.
But. Sealed Deck. Why. 
Can anyone shed light as to why Noel is no longer doing FtL (either Wizards or someone who knows where he's at on the internet)? His last article made no mention about leaving, so this seems like a rather abrupt notice.

In any event, best of luck to Noel in his endeavors. 
I know why Noel is gone, but I'm not at liberty to discuss it. Well, I suppose I could, but since I'm his friend, I'll wait for it to be public knowledge before I say anything. All I'm saying is I learned by a Facebook Message from him, so I'm pretty sure it violates Bro Code to tell people anything they don't know yet based on that.

However, I will leave you all with this: I don't know if they will actually put it up for Izzet Week or not, but I prepared this last week (yeah, I've known that long- I'd hoped there would be a different writer for the Lab at the least by now, but since it looks like it's going to go the way of Savor the Flavor, I really don't think anyone will see this unless I put it here):

Dear Trick Jarrett,  Regarding your article "Closed for Renovations":

It's very difficult for me to express just what From the Lab was to me- it was a spoiler for new cards, yes...it was a brewery for cuckoo's nest-type decks...but more than that,it was the most fun article on DailyMTG. It showed people how to use their imagination to think really creatively- to go about deck building by breaking ALL the rules, to do what you WANTED to because it was FUN.

It was the most Vorthos column ever, because I never feel more Blue than when I'm brewing a Blue deck for a Lab Challenge. It was the most Spike Column ever, because it was really all about proving what you could do, delving the limits of Magic. It was the most Johnny Column ever, because it just was. I feel that of all the features of Daily MTG, From the Lab may have had the farthest reaching audience, the highest appeal from Casual Players on the site. It was where we actually got to PLAY MAGIC, which Limited Information doesn't really do as well, not being a Constructed article. It was wierd to adjust to at first, but it was actually super fitting that From the Lab started airing with MaRo's Making Magic. Sometimes Latest Developments had some nifty behind the scenes stuff like the Multiverse files, but every week of From the Lab articles was as entertaining and fresh and different to read, but it was also tied together by a point of some kind at the end, usually, whether it was a theme week or not. I feel I actually learned about Magic more by reading From the Lab than by reading Tournament Reports. First and most Importantly: Magic isn't strictly competitive. It was Magical Christmas Land every day at From the Lab, nothing was impossible. You didn't have to worry about mulligans or mana screw or anything. You could just assume that Rule of Awesome made everything work in the Most Epic Way possible within the rulebook. Some amazing stories were told, with the crowning gem being the Noel's Lab Maniac Self-Realization Dream.

Has any other Column actually gotten 2 cards seemingly directly CUSTOM made for the Column to Preview? Rooftop Storm and Lab Maniac were pretty special, pretty awesome things to have happen. Innistrad Block was easily one of the greatest Lab-friendly Blocks of all time, (unless you count that one card from Mirrodin Besieged....)

I know that there's been a Selesnya Week, and I'm not sure when but I think Izzet Week is coming up. I had a deck for Izzet Week and I'd still like to share it with people. I would like to submit the following decklist in Commemoration of From the Lab, though I don't know what kind of article it might appear in:

"I am simply quivering with Anticipation to just share this deck with you, but I’m too theatrical to do that. Anyone ever wonder what might happen if we took all the Lab’s Most Busted preview cards ever and just threw them all in? What if we just Spelltwined All The Things?

he's Back
the Archenemy of the Lab
with Terrible combos
he's a Maniac
with Awful ideas
and Noone can stop him this time!

[Batman Beyond reference if you don't get it. Foreshadows use of an epic quote I felt was necessary.] 

It’s Izzet Week, and if the Izzet are known for nothing else, it’s for being Destructive, and for being Brilliant. The Epitome of Red and the Epitome of Blue. We already have a pretty good idea of what the Epitome of Red is: It’s Damage. LOTS of Damage. LOTS of Explosions.  What is the Epitome of Blue though? Intelligence? Subtlety? Prestidigitation? What two Mythic Rares from M13 are going to give us EXACTLY what completely embodies the aspirations of Izzet’s component colors? Omniscience, of course; and Worldfire.

But it’s not enough to set the World on Fire. Oh, no, no, no. You can Search the City all you want, but this Pyro-maniac-mancer has a DIFFERENT Fate in store!

"This Plane deserves a better class of Criminal Mastermind, and I’m gonna give it to them."
The Joker (kinda), Guildless Deciever (totally should be. would be awesome.)

We need to be Brilliant. We need to have a Thoughtflare. We need to be New. We need to be Elegant. We need to Burn. Everything. And it needs to be Funny!

Brilliant, Lightning, Elegant, Random, Genius, Flames, Mastermind, Destruction, Hilarious, Izzet:

Not quite a Return to Ravnica card, but I do think this describes the Lab Maniac to a “T”.

If you can’t see where this is going, maybe you just don’t have the Firemind’s Foresight.

Really, this deck intends to be as Insanely Delirius as possible. It wants to put a clock…no, we can do better. Make that a Sundial on your opponent’s life total AND on their capacity to comprehend anything at all, like the metaphysical abstraction of comprehension itself. So now we turn the Sandglass over, and Get Serious.

In Short: The Lab, in Essence, is the Deck I am building today.

Our Frankenstein’s Monster shall be Nivmagus Elemental. He’s quite simple really: just a Ball Lightning application of dragscoop ionics and electropulsion magnetronics. He get’s huge, he’s cheap, and swings at people’s face for the win. They can be distracted all they want by the flurry of our creative genius inventing scads of new spells out of the aether in an instant, but we, the Izzet Guild, are far too smart for that to actually be the win-condition: Nivmagus takes INSANITY and makes it PRACTICAL, just like the Lab Maniac. It’s a match made in Science-Asylum-Hell. Speaking of Insane, that’s why I want Infinite of them. Infinite Reflections of them, that is.

HOW is this deck supposed to work? Easy. It’s the Most Epic Experiment Freakin Ever, That’s How. There is space left for four more cards in the deck after adding those.  But now that we have THE most INSANE concoction EVER….where do we dump all these?

Into the Knowledge Pool, obviously. And now for my Vanishing Act! >Suddenly Disappears before the Rules Manager, who’s been chasing him since Mirrodin Beseiged, can catch him>

Ultimate Lab Deck of Doom

23 Lands
8x Island
4x Izzet Guildgate
3x Mountain
4x Steam Vents
4x Sulfur Falls

11 Creatures
3x Deranged Assistant
1x Deciever Exarch
3x Lab Maniac
4x Nivmagus Elemental

7 Artifacts
3x Knowledge Pool
2x Mirror of Fate
2x Sands of Delirium
1x Sundial of the Infinite

19 Spells
1x Cast Through Time
3x Epic Experiment
1x Firemind’s Insight
1x Infinite Reflections
1x Leyline of Anticipation
2x Omniscience
1x Pyromancer Ascension
2x Selective Memory
1x Search the City
1x Spelltwine
1x Splinter Twin
1x Sudden Disappearance
1x Thoughtflare
1x Worldfire

What's the Punchline, you ask? Well, I'm about to press this Big, Shiny, Red Goblin Button to find out what I've created even DOES, and I have NO IDEA what will happen to the Space-Time Continuum when I do! hAAHAAAhaaHEEheeHeeHOhoHO!

(Actually, the real joke is that every single card turns out to have a Functional Purpose and Use in the deck, which is REALLY quite shocking come to think of it o.O)

This Deck features From the Lab Previews from the following sets: Magic 2010, Zendikar, Worldwake, Rise of the Eldrazi, Magic 2011, Mirrodin Besieged, Magic 2012, Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored, Magic 2013, Return to Ravnica. Also it includes Deciever Exarch from New Phyrexia. (Birthing Pod refused to fit)

I will leave the exact number of ludicrous combos and interactions within this deck to you, the readers, to find.

I'll just speak for everyone here and say "Thanks, Noel", from all the Johnnies, for making this deck possible

DARTH PARALLAX

Meh, this really sucks. Losing From the Lab is bad enough, but the fact that it's being replace by yet another limited-oriented colum is depressing. I already skim through Limited Information as is.

Yeah we get it, draft and sealed is how you sell most of your packs, doesn't mean you have to make all the articles on this site about limited though.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
From the Lab was pretty much the only reason for me to check on the website.
Now that it's gone, I'll mostly skim trough it and read the flavor collumn for as long as it lasts.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
I'll miss FtL and Noel.
I always enjoyed reading FtL. 
I look forward to the Sealed article(s).
I would just like to take the time to say that I will sorely miss From the Lab. It was always the highlight of my week. I started reading the site right around the time that Mr. DeCordova started writing this column, and it was my favorite column from day one. It won't be the same without him. I don't think it's going too far to say that the enjoyment that I get out of Magic in general was never higher than when I was reading the average From the Lab, or thinking about it afterwards, or trying to build for a challenge. In fact, when designing decks, one of my highest requirements was "would I send this to FtL?" This column, to me, embodied the Johnny ideals that I aspire to, and I will miss it. Mr. DeCordova never failed to at least put a smile on my face in every article, or even elicit a giddy giggle at an newly-revealed interaction. Maybe I will one day find something to inspire me like From the Lab, some other beacon that will light my way and urge me onward into more exploration of the game, but this loss will hurt.
I don't expect to get the column back exactly the way it was, especially not with our familiar old Lab Maniac at the helm. But I hope Wizards will realize the importance of having a Casual article, that gets to what the heart of what Magic is truly about. And I hope Wizards will realize it soon, because having two Limited Informations is really more than we need.
Yikes! I was completely not expecting this. From the Lab, and House of Cards before it, were such a foundational part of the site.

I just can't imagine dailymtg without the kind of mad Johnniness as pioneered by JMS (yes, I remember JMS's "tapping my lip" comment from one of the first House of Cards articles when the site first started), and as continued delightfully by Mark Gottlieb (All Hail the Great MaGo!), Chris Millar (the only article writer whose sense of humour tickled me enough to keep a quotes file of his wackiest utterances), and most recently Noel... It's been the epitome of what Johnniness looks like... It's been the epitome of how to have fun with Magic. 

You'll be greatly missed, Noel, and these will be a sad couple of months. I really hope the new year brings a new Johnny writer, bringing the Lab back and better than ever. 
It wasn't always "for me", but Noel and FtL will be missed.
I enjoy me some limited, but...I can't say I'm looking forward to the new column. Actually, I can't imagine what it will even look like. Maybe it will surprise me in a good way? But I don't have high hopes. Here's hoping you can find someone to fill the big shoes of DeCordova soon.
just adding my voice to what most posters before me have already said: FtL and Noel will be greatly missed, this temporary column seems like something we already have room for on the site within the limited information column. I can only hope that whatever column is going to replace FtL ones these renovations are done will be as good as Uncharted Realms replacing Savor the Flavor. I really like what that column has turned into, despite missing some of the behind the scenes kind of stuff that StF had. It is just that I can't see what kind of improvements could be made while maintaining all that FtL had to offer, but maybe that is just my lack of imagination. I guess we just have to wait and see. 

Meanwhile I do find Noels last column to be a bit strange: no hint of saying goodbye and he even ends with an until next time! I just hope things between Noel and Wizards didn't end in a bad way, and this is just Noels wacky way of ending things. But somehow it doesn't feel like that to me, just hope I'm wrong in this.

I would just like to end this by saying: Noel you were great! good luck with everything you do, and thanks for all the great columns!
Awwwwwwwww maaaaaan.  Le-sigh.

FtL was my favorite article on the site, but I suppose it does no good to whine about it.  Best wishes to NdC in whatever he's doing with his life.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Of course the Johnny column will be back, because Magic will always have Johnnies. Plus there's not that much to say about Sealed (Magic Academy only had two articles on it if I remember right).

I haven't been regularly reading FtL or SF (the Timmy column) regularly because sometimes I think they waffle on too much and the decks they make aren't heaps effective or original either. (I understand that eventually you run out of new material though). I think I preferred Mago's style. Maybe this few weeks break will give them time to go through gatherer looking for untapped silliness to introduce to a new generation of would-be Johnnies. Hell, I wouldn't mind having a go at it.
Sealed columm!! this is amazing!

Iam always playing those 4 boosters sealed queues on MOL, a column about, will help for sure!

I'd look forward to this sealed column more if anywhere around where I live actually ran sealed events instead of draft all the time. I love sealed, but the only time I see it happen is at a prerelease.
So since I've already whined, how about a suggestion this time?  How about if you replace From the Lab with a re-born "Going Rogue". Standard has a lot of decks that are fighting it out right now for bragging rights, so it seems like a good time for rogue deck advice that might be applicable to the competitive scene, but are still fun and unusual enough to have kitchen-table duelers interested in the builds.  To me it seems like GR could be a happy medium between a totally casual-centric article and something that appeals to the tournament players to whom the site seems more interested in catering.

So, if this has to happen, which I guess it does... please take the opportunity to bring back Going Rogue!
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
So since I've already whined, how about a suggestion this time?  How about if you replace From the Lab with a re-born "Going Rogue". Standard has a lot of decks that are fighting it out right now for bragging rights, so it seems like a good time for rogue deck advice that might be applicable to the competitive scene, but are still fun and unusual enough to have kitchen-table duelers interested in the builds.  To me it seems like GR could be a happy medium between a totally casual-centric article and something that appeals to the tournament players to whom the site seems more interested in catering.

So, if this has to happen, which I guess it does... please take the opportunity to bring back Going Rogue!

Isn't that just Reconstructed?

yay! More Limited! Not only do we not need more Limited, half this site now caters to Limited-oriented themes, including Flores' article which often dips its toe into it. The former distinction of this was that it focused across the board for not only Timmy, Johnny, Spike, but also uniquely advantaged creator-based commentary, in-house voices being heard (or being told what to say by the corporate goons). Now, we have a veritable cartwheel of Developer commentary (with the highest turnover for authors), and no Johnniness at all.

Gone are the days when playing with your game experience, through interesting interactions among cards or among players (with Anthony Alongi also having parted from us!) can feed the Johnny in us, or the days when Creative fueled commentary is now about writing the story bits that no longer appear in book or pamphlet form. That last is admittedly a good thing, but we lost out on the deeper delvings of guys like Cavotta because of the shift. Jenna is a great writer, and I love the stories, but you gotta cut the jingoism that permeates Jarvis' writing.

You know what I want in this slot (but not replacing Johnny entirely)?

Card of the Week.

Each week a card is chosen at random from the long, long history of MtG's collection. This card is subjected to an historical treatment in which factoids may be released about it, including history of its art, how the card was developed/designed, multiverse notes. It doesn't need to be modern, it doesn't need to be big. It can even have a "Tournament Presence" and a Draft score (based on the arbitrary draft primacy that goes on in R&D). It can, and should, have different authors, where sometimes the stronger voice is the Johnny, other times the voice is of the Artist.

When you do bring Johnny back, try not to bring in a corporate shill.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

Isn't that just Reconstructed?

Not really... ReConstructed about tweaking decks and improving them, sometimes the decks will be typical archetypes, and some times not. Going Rogue specifically addresses building a rogue deck that can be successful in the current metagame, and then how to pilot it against the current threats (something BOAB tried to address, but ReConstructed only sort of touches on).

The reason I feel like it might make a good replacement for the From the Lab is that the decks end up also appealing to Johnny players who would rather go to the dentist than FNM because rogue decks are often creative and fun to play.  It was one of my favourite articles back when it was a regular feature, because I have way too much Johnny in me to ever be a real Spike, but I do want my creations to be able to achieve some success as well.
For me, there have been five truly great writers in the history of magicthegathering.com. I realize that a lot of other writers have done a ton of good for the site and the game, but they wrote on material that I was less interested in; thus, while they may have been truly great in the abstract, they didn't appeal to me. 

Those writers are Mark Rosewater, Jay Moldenhauer-Salazar, Mark Gottleib, Chris Millar, and Noel DeCordova. Mark Rosewater should need no explanation. As for the rest of them, they each brought something to the table that was truly great: a new way to think about the game.

I'm still playing Magic today because of what these guys have done. Every time I'd think about quitting, I'd read one of their columns and get inspired to jump back in and try something crazy. Even if I never built a deck from a column (which I rarely did), just reading them and watching them enjoy creating their stuff was a great way to engage with the game.

Each time one writer quit and another came in, I kept expecting the column to jump the shark. I never believed tha tthe next guy could be as good as the last, but he always was. Maybe it's because the subject matter was right up my alley, maybe it was because those four writers are all absolutely excellent writers, and maybe it was both of those reason. All I know is that it's a shame to see House of Cards go out like this.

If this really is the end, I might not get another chance to say this, so here it goes: To JMS, thank you for starting something amazing. To MaGo, thanks for showing us the galaxy. To Chris, thanks for stepping up and following an impossible act to follow. To Noel, thanks for proving that an ordinary player can be great if he has gusto and determination. You four have made Magic matter to me.

If any of what DarthParallax wrote up there is true, it seems that Noel wanted to keep writing this column. Noel, you should keep writing elsewhere. You'd have a following. I'm sure I'm not the only one who kind of wanted to know what was coming after that final "until next time."

Good idea, get Conley Woods to write it :D

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I'm gonna miss Noel and FtL. I wonder why he just took off without notice. I hope he's okay and all's well in the world. FtL was my DailyMTG-highlight of the week and I'm sad to see it go. I got so many ideas from the column.
Photobucket
If this really is the end, I might not get another chance to say this, so here it goes: To JMS, thank you for starting something amazing. To MaGo, thanks for showing us the galaxy. To Chris, thanks for stepping up and following an impossible act to follow. To Noel, thanks for proving that an ordinary player can be great if he has gusto and determination. You four have made Magic matter to me.

If any of what DarthParallax wrote up there is true, it seems that Noel wanted to keep writing this column. Noel, you should keep writing elsewhere. You'd have a following. I'm sure I'm not the only one who kind of wanted to know what was coming after that final "until next time."

I have this board bookmarked for notifications, and I'd like to add something to the general discussion:

I've seen some actually cool suggestions for what could follow the Lab, some combination of regret and yet hope that while the Lab may be missed, if House of Cards could turn into the Lab, then the Lab might turn into something else awesome. I think "Card of the Week" might be one of the better ideas put forward, but I think if we suggested that to Wizards, they'd just say "That's what Aaron's Random Gatherer Comment is for".

We also all mostly seem to agree that Limited is a format which is good for the actual game, but not a subject that every article ever written about MAGIC really should talk about. Maybe 1% of what is being written about Limited is interesting or desirable to read, and that 1% is as effective as the other 99% put together. I like Limited Information, I DON'T like Unlimited Limited Information.

I don't have any other ideas for type of article, but I would like to nominate "Knowledge Pool" as the name of whatever goes up for Johnnies in the Future. I think there's a lot of fittingness to that, not to mention since it's a Place Name, it would be easy for the writer to talk to readers as if we were going over to his house to play Magic, which is one of the cool narrative devices the Lab and the House were awesome for--

We also all mostly seem to agree that Limited is a format which is good for the actual game, but not a subject that every article ever written about MAGIC really should talk about. Maybe 1% of what is being written about Limited is interesting or desirable to read, and that 1% is as effective as the other 99% put together. I like Limited Information, I DON'T like Unlimited Limited Information.

I'm not sure the thread for complaining about them getting rid of one of the columns about building wacky bad decks for casual is where you are going to find people who want more articles about limited. You aren't exactly getting an unbiased sample.

Ignoring that, you think two articles about limited is too many?
Hello everyone,

I realize I'm a day late so it may already be off your radar, but I wanted to drop in and clarify.

The sealed deck is not a permanent replacement for From the Lab. I failed to either be clear on this or to convince you of my honest intent.

I promise that Johnny content is coming back and I'm sorry that this change has left you all feeling so upset and confused because of how it was done. Hang in there.

I do like the name Knowledge Pool though, will see what happens.

//Trick 
Editor-in-Chief of DailyMTG.com @trickmtg Email Me
Hello everyone,

I realize I'm a day late so it may already be off your radar, but I wanted to drop in and clarify.

The sealed deck is not a permanent replacement for From the Lab. I failed to either be clear on this or to convince you of my honest intent.

I promise that Johnny content is coming back and I'm sorry that this change has left you all feeling so upset and confused because of how it was done. Hang in there.

I do like the name Knowledge Pool though, will see what happens.

//Trick 

Hello Trick, 

First of thank you for responding  to our concerns, I can’t speak for others but to me it was already clear from the original article that this sealed deck column was a temporary thing and that a Johnny column will be coming back. Still no harm in stressing that point a bit more.  I just would have preferred to see a temporary solution that would have been a bit more Johnny, but since it is just temporary I consider this a minor complaint. 

As said before (although less explicit) I have confidence in your abilities to come  up with a new great Johnny column for the site. I just have a hard time imagining what was missing in the FtL setting and how this new column might be better, but that might just be me and I love to be proven wrong/overly concerned in this matter. There have been some interesting suggestions on this matter so I hope you take these under consideration.  For me personally what I liked best about FtL is that it was a great place to be inspired for some crazy or fun deck ideas. I feel it accomplished this by allowing both ideas of the author and ideas of the public in a variety of ways, without  being strictly forced to use either. Therefore I hope the new column will allow for the same feature.   

But the thing that bugs me most  about this change is not the change itself but the way it happened. From Noels last article and some comments made on this thread, I can’t help but get the feeling that something happened between Noel and Wizards. I can’t sympathize with a company but  mainly through the site I feel like I have gotten to know some of the folks that work there and they seem like a great group of people. From what I  gathered from his column Noel also seems like a great guy. Now this happens and I am left feeling  like there is some form of animosity between the two.  If I am right in this then I can only ask you to please do what you can to resolve this. If I am wrong then maybe you can comment on this, because that would be a big relieve.

Sign In to post comments