Blue Keywords

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just trying to flesh out ideas for blue keywords that could appear in a core set.

Wall of Dampening
Creature - Wall
Defender
Dampening (Counter all abilities of creatures blocking or blocked by ~ until end of turn)
1/4

I wanna put a trigger on it, but that would defeat the purpose, wouldn't it. Strangely, I think it'd be more confusing to more advanced magic players than new ones.

Creature - Human Wizard
Disarm (Exile target creature blocking or blocked by this creature and return it to the battlefield under the same players control. This does not trigger that creature's abilities.)
2/1

I like this idea, but I'm not sure its simple enough to work well. Ideally, I'd like the creature to still be attacking or blocking, but that would make it more complicated. Is there a better way to do this?
Ha! Forgot to give the second one a name. Plus I can't edit it from here, lol
Another idea. It kind of plays along with blue being the patient color.

Patient Drake
Creature - Drake
Flying
Primed 1 (This creature gets +1/+1 as long as all lands you control are untapped.)
3/3
Primed has the problem that if you tap after one of them has taken almost-lethal damage that turn, they suddenly die; also if you use a combat trick you may be killing one of your other creatures in the combat.

Hmmm, a random thought, for the patience theme: Instants that can be played as sorceries, maybe for increased effect, or maybe for decreased price.
That's a cool idea. However (and its my fault for not specifying) I'm looking for creature keywords for blue, as they seem to be a little light on them.
There's a mechanic I keep toying with that could fit blue: Sneak(this creature cannot be blocked except by creatures with vigilance or defender)
I worry that Dampening might have rules problems and weird corner cases but I like the ability anyway.
Primed has the problem that if you tap after one of them has taken almost-lethal damage that turn, they suddenly die; also if you use a combat trick you may be killing one of your other creatures in the combat.

Hmmm, a random thought, for the patience theme: Instants that can be played as sorceries, maybe for increased effect, or maybe for decreased price.

I actually liked that part of Primed (though I don't really care for the name); it promotes a feeling of commitment or whatever, sort of like War's Toll I guess.

Time Spiral had something like your idea with the Return to Dust cycle.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Prime gave me an idea:

Phantom Horror
Creature - Illusion
When ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it.
Primed 7 (This creature gets +7/+7 as long as all lands you control are untapped.)
0/0

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Prime gave me an idea:

Phantom Horror
Creature - Illusion
Primed 7 (This creature gets +7/+7 as long as all lands you control are untapped.)
0/0

congratsulations, you made a broken card *claps*
But seriously, when it enters the battlefield it instantly dies. 
Prime gave me an idea:

Phantom Horror
Creature - Illusion
0/0

congratsulations, you made a broken card *claps*
But seriously, when it enters the battlefield it instantly dies. 

Not if you get it out with non-land mana.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Prime gave me an idea:

Phantom Horror
Creature - Illusion
0/0

I'm pretty sure Myr Superion wasn't used in its day, and this card is even worse.
Rules Advisor
I can see primed as an ability for all colors that can be expanded on. For example...

Swamp primed 1 (This creature gets +1/+1 for each untapped swamp you control.)

...would fit nicely in black.

Creature primed N
Artifact primed N
etc...

I like the concept. Just not sure it should be confined to just blue. Also, not sure about the name, but I don't have any other suggestions for that.
My bad...I meant the text to say...

+1/+1 as long as all swamps you control are untapped.
Prime gave me an idea:

Phantom Horror
Creature - Illusion
0/0

I'm pretty sure Myr Superion wasn't used in its day, and this card is even worse.

But it could be used. Say, with a t1 Birds of Paradise, t2 Urborg Elf, t3 this? That's the firs tthing I thought of.

But basically it's either broken or useless, depending on the deck.

Primed also sounds like it could bleed into green, the color of +X/+X (and caring about mana).
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

What about this?

Phantom Horror

Creature - Illusion
When ~ EBT, you may untap up to two target islands you control.
Primed 6 (This creature gets +6/+6 as long as all lands you control are untapped.)
0/0

I like Kingreaper's sneak ability. It's a bit like Infiltrator's Magemark, but with better flavor, in my opinion.

But it could be used. Say, with a t1 Birds of Paradise, t2 Urborg Elf, t3 this? That's the firs tthing I thought of.

But basically it's either broken or useless, depending on the deck.

This card has the advantage of +2/+1 over Myr Superion. Myr Superion has the advantage of:
- Having a colorless cost.
- Not getting killed by your own Azorius Guildgate.
- Not getting killed by your opponent's Fleeting Distraction.

And Myr Superion still isn't a good card. Phantom Horror could probably be a 0/1 with Primed 7 and still not be overpowered.

Rules Advisor
So what about the other 2 ideas? Is there any technical problem with Dampening?

How do I word Disarm correctly? It's supposed to be an enemy only Cloudshift that doesn't remove creatures from combat. (ie, it breaks enchants and combat tricks)
we've seen primed before, in green = Vintara Snapper
and in black = Fen Stalker
but more so red = Scoria Cat, and Spur Grappler
makes it seem pretty non-blue

i like Dampening, and it seems like a good blue ability -- but why "counter" instead of "loses all abilities until end of turn"? -- i feel like dampening the creature's powers should stop them for a period of time, instead of just any that went on the stack right there

EDIT = reread your dampening and had it wrong in my head -- but, still like idea of losing all abilities, instead of abilities that can be countered (i.e., block someone with deathtouch and they lose deathtouch)
The only issue with losing all abilities is */* creatures just die. That might actually be ok, but some people don't like it, so this is a toned down version.

Also the cards you linked when referencing Primed required no UNtapped lands. Which seems to indicate it would be blue. I'm just not sure I love it because it seems too parasitic with draw-go.
Rewording disarm:

Disarm (cost) (Exile target creature blocking or blocked by this creature and return it to the battlefield tapped, blocking or blocked by this creature, and under the same players control.)

How's that?
I've been thinking about storm, and I thought of a new keyword for blue/red:

Esoteric (When you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may have this creature get +1/-1 until end of turn.)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sign In to post comments