Best deck for starter

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys,
I'm new to magic the gathering, for now I've been playing with my friends decks, but I would like to buy one for myself.

I think that buying a duel-deck or an event deck would be the best thing to do.
The problem is, there are so many to choose from. I've been looking at lots of them individually but I can't decide. I was hopping someone would give me their opinion about which one to buy and why. Or if I should just buy the deck builder's toolkit.
(As a starter, the deck shouldn't be too hard to use, and of course, quite powerful so I don't lose every match against my friends)

Thank you in advance!
for the Duel Decks get any of them
I played most of them, and they are all really fun to play against one another
they might not be so suited to play against well tuned decks your friend might command

as for Event Decks, if you want it to be Standard legal there currently aren't that many options because of the rotation
either go for "Sweet Revenge" from M13 that can be made Standard legal with minor adjustments (switch out just 8 cards total) or wait for the 2 from Return to Ravnica
if Standard Legal is not a consideration go for any of them, personally I'm partial to "Into the Breach" from MBS, simply because it was my first ;). Red Deck Wins is a great competitive budget option, and this one is well build with good cards in it

Deck Builder's Toolkit is also a good option, but it will not give you a good deck out of the box
proud member of the 2011 community team
I started off with a M13 Intro Deck. Honestly, I'd suggest a Deck Builder's Toolkit. It's going to give you a nice, watered down intro on deck building and a bunch of lands you'll need. It's always a good feeling to build a deck and beat someone with it. Well, not literally. You don't want to damage your cards on some poor guys head.
I don't plan on entering any tournaments, as it will turn out to be too expensive having a competitive deck that will become obsolete after a couple of months.
I plan on just playing with friends for fun. I am more inclined for event decks, and then I might get some boosters now and then, and make my own decks.
Which do you think are the best event decks?
I've heard good things about the vampire  onslaught, the coming golgari:creep and conquer. I really don't know which one to buy, there are so many! I just want one that's fun playing with and will let me win a few matches and that's worth my money.
@enigma256 - I haven't seen that one in my local shop, I don't think they have that one. Frown 
it was the first Event Deck and it's almost 2 years old, so it is likely out of stock
generally, try to go for red aggro decks if you want a good deck
they are cheap to build, competitive even against decks 10 times their cost, and exciting to play

"Gleeful Flames" from DKA would be another example, that's more recent so they might have it in stock
or look for a RDW decklist in the deck forums below and build it yourself

"Vampire Onslaught" is also a good deck, it's basically a RDW that's in the wrong color :D

the upcoming Rakdos Event Deck also looks quite good, but it's multicolor and at that pricepoint the mana base is a bit lacking
I will try to look for those in my local store. :D
one thing, the older event decks are suposed to be cheaper and get price drops right? Cause from what I've seen, even the first event decks are priced the same as the new ones.
if anything the older decks will become more expensive because they are out of print and rarer
but since they don't have special cards in them, I doubt they have much collector's value and they should remain about the same

however older Event Decks tend to have lower value, because cards in them have rotated out of Standard and if they are not useful in Modern or Legacy/Vintage (like Goblin Guide from "into the breach" for example) they significantly drop in price
I don't plan on entering any tournaments, as it will turn out to be too expensive having a competitive deck that will become obsolete after a couple of months. 

It doesnt sound like you understand how rotation works. Standard (and Extended) rotates ONCE every year. Standard uses between 1-2 years worth of cards (depending on where you are in the rotation cycle), not 2 months worth.

Modern doesnt even rotate.

I wouldnt write off tournament play completly just because cards sometimes rotate out. If your deck can be playable for a year or two of tournaments, why not use it?

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
To be honest, I've heard of some shops holding tournaments nearby, but I've always had the idea that they allowed any cards to be played. Or they have tournaments with only the new cards and others with any cards.
So that's really not an issue for me. I'm just looking for a good pre-consttructed deck I can use and improve.
Or just buy the toolkit, don't know if it's worth the money though. 
Toolkit is worth the money if you are just starting out
gives you a nice landbase and also some other useful cards
Toolkit is worth the money if you are just starting out
gives you a nice landbase and also some other useful cards

Just to say that I bought a toolkit and am pretty happy with it.
I already beat my friends a couple of times. Now I'll just try to improve my decks with some RTR boosters.
thanks for the help Wink