DLCR: Assassin's Strike

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays final RtR card to rate is...

Assassin's Strike

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what pack.
4.5: First pick pack 1.
4.0: I will strongly consider playing this as the only card of its color.
3.5: I feel a strong pull into this card’s color.
3.0: This card makes me want to play this color.
2.5: Several cards of this power level start to pull me to this color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This is a perfect example of removal is removal.  It sure costs a lot but you're going to play it if you have it.

Discuss! 
Removal is still removal.

2.5 - 3.0

Sometimes, you just need something dead.  The discard a card part might be a nice bonus, but that's not the reason you're taking this card.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
This would be so much better as an instant. I think 2.5 - 3.0 is fine, I didn't love Public Execution and this one strikes me as worse.
Yeah, it would be awesome if this were an instant so you could randomly Fatigue your opponent, I think that'd be fair for six mana. At prerelease waited precisely till my opponent had one card in hand to cast this. In my ratings I gave it a B-, probably closer to a C+ though.
Yeah, it would be awesome if this were an instant so you could randomly Fatigue your opponent, I think that'd be fair for six mana. At prerelease waited precisely till my opponent had one card in hand to cast this. In my ratings I gave it a B-, probably closer to a C+ though.

So is the conversion B- = 2.7? Does an A+ go over 4.0? 

A is about the top 11% of the set.
B is the next 24%.
C is the next 33%.
D is the 24% after than.
F is whatever is left.

There is no A+ or F+, and there's no E because I'm a patriot.

Your grading system bears no resemblance tow how I was graded in every level of education I've had. 

I'd give this a 2.5. It would make the deck if I was in black, not if I was splashing black, and it doesn't make me wanna play black.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Your grading system bears no resemblance tow how I was graded in every level of education I've had. 

I'd give this a 2.5. It would make the deck if I was in black, not if I was splashing black, and it doesn't make me wanna play black.

Well there should be more average cards than fantastic or terrible cards. It's kinda like a bell curve.
A bell curve using letters that represent numbers different than the American grading system most people would think they represent? Just sayin'.

If I followed the American grading system half the cards in the set would be Fs. Also, don't the Limited Resources guys use letter grades? 
Which was my initial confusion with the A-F system anyway. I like a one-hundred point systems, but when I think "A" I think 95, a "B+" is a 92, etc. It just doesn't translate well.

I'd rate the "average" card as a 1 myself. 

I thought 2.0 was generally considered to be the average. Are you saying the average card falls into "1.0: 23rd card if you have to." How do you ever draft enough cards to make a deck of playables?
Nah, I wasn't thinking in terms of card ratings, just that most cards Magic prints aren't cards I want to play. That doesn't mean I don't use them, it just means your average magic card to me isn't one I'd want to play in limited. It's prob why I tend to rate things lower than most people here.

2.5-3.0.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I hate that I have to rate this card so hi, but I do! It's a 6-drop with two black in the cost and it's not even an instant. But yet, I almost always take this card, I'm sad to say that I've taken this P1P4 before. Because removal is so hard to come by.

2.5-2.75

Which leads me to another question....how far will you go for removal. Let's say this card existed in RTR...would you play it? and what would you rate it?   GO!

Dryad's Saliva      5 colorless two green

Instant

Exile target creature. Draw a card and gain 2 life.

"The taste of a Dryad's saliva is deadly to some, enlightening to others and pleasure-inducing to all".   -Selesnyan altarboy
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge

Instant

"The taste of a Dryad's saliva is deadly to some, enlightening to others and pleasure-inducing to all".   -Selesnyan altarboy

How about...

Death at the Corner   10 colorless mana

Instant

Kill target opponent.

"You are so dead, man!" -Wizard wanabee- 

Truth is there is no point on speculating on imaginary cards. There is already plenty many cards to rate and find interaction with.

Instant

How about...

Death at the Corner   10 colorless mana

Instant

Kill target opponent.

"You are so dead, man!" -Wizard wanabee- 

Truth is there is no point on speculating on imaginary cards. There is already plenty many cards to rate and find interaction with.

I thinkt here's a point. The point is that I'm interesting if people would still play it. If it interests me, then there is a point!

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Sign In to post comments