Which pack to get?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I just started visiting a local store to enjoy the FNM's held there. I'm a pretty new player without a lot of spare money to spend, but I can scrounge up the five dollars and gas money to have fun at FNM every week.

At my store, everyone gets a pack of the latest set at the start, so while the winners at the end get fewer prizes, everyone gets something so it makes everyone happy. It's really fun.

Up till now, when I got my pack I'd just open right away without question and hope for whatever good card I could get out of it, but then someone informed me that I can trade it in for a pack from another set!

So my question is, given that the single booster pack is my only investment in cards per week (until I get a better source of income, that is), which set should I trade in my pack of RTR for? I'm thinking Avacyn Restored so I have a chance at getting at one of those nice miracle cards, or M13 to have a better chance at a planeswalker or something.

What do you guys think?
Personally I would keep the RtR pack. In terms of value I think it gives you the best odds, the cards will be in Standard for longer, and newer cards tend to be in higher demand. Plus its a really cool set.

And since you said you were ripping your packs... have you considered playing Packwars with them instead? Personally I find its much better than just opening them (and if you enjoy the game you add value to your prize pack, and get more for your entry fee). 

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Overall I'm not very impressed with RTR, sure it has a few reallly cool cards, but in general it seems to be a limited paradise while not helping my rather miserable Standard usable collection.

I mean, if I'm gonna only get one small chance to get something good every week, which set's booster pack should I look at?
Overall I'm not very impressed with RTR, sure it has a few reallly cool cards, but in general it seems to be a limited paradise while not helping my rather miserable Standard usable collection.

I mean, if I'm gonna only get one small chance to get something good every week, which set's booster pack should I look at?

RtR is a limited paradise? And you want to get AVR instead? 
Well, ok, I'm not the most experienced person, I just have my own judgment here. It's why I'm asking for other's opinions.
Well, ok, I'm not the most experienced person, I just have my own judgment here. It's why I'm asking for other's opinions.

Well, RTR does have a lot of limited filler, but I'd say it has more playable commons/uncommons than AVR. It also has a LOT of playable rares/mythics. Most of AVR is limited filler and dollar rares.
OP, have you actually compared the sets, in terms of (a) average pack value and (b) chance of getting a card that sees competitive play in your chosen format?

You might be surprised. ;)

~ Tim   
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
OP, have you actually compared the sets, in terms of (a) average pack value and (b) chance of getting a card that sees competitive play in your chosen format?

You might be surprised. ;)

~ Tim   

I've yet to be disappointed by more than one batch of RTR packs (anywhere from 2 packs to a box) that I've opened, whereas AVR packs disappoint at least 50% of the time. Speaking from the perspective of a standard player looking to net rares worth at least the price of the packs.

AVR is more fun for limited, unless you like playing black.

Granted, Rakdos is kinda bad in RTR, but still...
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

My point was that AVR commons/uncommons are almost all limited fodder, while RTR has at least some commons/uncommons that you would care to see if you're just cracking packs. And I would disagree with AVR limited being more fun than RTR, but my experience with Limited is, well... limited.

You and the real world aren't on speaking terms, are you?

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" class="mceContentBody " contenteditable="true" />AVR is more fun for limited, unless you like playing black.

You and the real world aren't on speaking terms, are you?

I never understood why tournaments gave consolation prizes to the lowest placers (I mean, I understand it, but it's cruel). All that means is that the tournament should cost a pack less. Yeah, it's a psychological trick that makes people feel better about FNM. But step back and think about it for a second. If the tournament was a pack cheaper to enter would you purchase a pack after the event? Well, no matter what your answer is, that's essentially what they are forcing you to do.
Camaro vs. Mustang, BK vs. McD's, Coke vs. Pepsi. It's all a matter of taste my friends. My take on it? Keep the RtR pack. For the simple reason that if you are new to the game, you don't have a lot of cards, and those RtR cards are gonna be legal in standard longer than the Inni block. (Hmm, Inni block? Wonder if we'll see an Outi block anytime soon?)
RTR has shocklands.  AVR has... cavern and bonfire?  RTR wins without even having to take all the other good cards in RTR into consideration.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

Nah. RtR doesn't win because of shocklands. RtR wins because between keyrunes, charms, some guildmages, and an assortment of other cards at common and uncommon, you have a very high chance of getting at least one card you'll use, especially since you're a new player.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Thanks for the advice, I guess I've been doing alright with just what I've been doing. I didn't realize so much good stuff was in RTR.

I can't wait to see what's in Gatecrash when it gets revealed.
Thanks for the advice, I guess I've been doing alright with just what I've been doing.

Youve been ripping open packs without using them for Limited, so that is a matter of opinion. ;)
(seriously, did you look into my suggestion to try Packwars?)

~ Tim   

Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
Thanks for the advice, I guess I've been doing alright with just what I've been doing.

Youve been ripping open packs without using them for Limited, so that is a matter of opinion. ;)
(seriously, did you look into my suggestion to try Packwars?)

~ Tim   

I tried packwars once, and I thought it was pretty fun. That was an official event or something, I don't know if you mean just doing it with friends unofficially or whathaveyou.

I'm honestly not too familiar with limited beyond that one experience.
I tried packwars once, and I thought it was pretty fun. That was an official event or something, I don't know if you mean just doing it with friends unofficially or whathaveyou.

I'm honestly not too familiar with limited beyond that one experience.

If everyone at the tournament is getting a pack, it seems like a bit of a waste not to open it via Packwars, if you have time and people who want to play.

~ Tim   
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
All I have is my personal experiences and those shared with me by other players.

All you have is repeated ad hominems that have no basis in reality. I can do that too. rulesinquisitor is Zokorad under another name.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
All I have is my personal experiences and those shared with me by other players.

All you have is repeated ad hominems that have no basis in reality. I can do that too. rulesinquisitor is Zokorad under another name.

Because I laughed at a crack that someone else made? Okay.

Seriously, Escef, you've been cracking me up lately.