DC: Tendrils of Agony

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays random card is...

Tendrils of Agony

This card is pretty sweet.  Of course I'm a huge fan of storm even though admittedly it's a tad to powerful.  I just think the storm decks are a lot of fun to play and this and Brain Freeze are stand outs.

Honorable mention Dragonstorm

Discuss!
I'm still waiting for a 1/2 blue flier that when it ETB puts a 1/2 blue flying tokens for each spell cast this turn. Give me my Storm Crow with storm, Wizards!

Anyway, I remember one match with a friend in our "token broken" format, which is like Legacy, but you get to use one copy of a card banned in Legacy or restricted in Vintage (All cards banned in Vintage are banned.). I was close to 40 life, and my opponent was at 6. My opponent had a full hand due to Greed and Phyrexian Arena. Then, out of nowhere, four Dark Rituals, Yawgmoth's Will, four rituals again, he started emptying his graveyard, even Dash Hopesing his own spells, Tendrils. Gee. Gee.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I like Temporal Fissure because it doesn't actually say "You win if your storm count is X." on it. You still need some creatures to hit their face with. The best designed Storm spell probably goes to Wing Shards though. It's one of the few storm spells that actually got used how Storm was supposed to be used.
combolicius.

<----- Loser.

IThe best designed Storm spell probably goes to Wing Shards though. It's one of the few storm spells that actually got used how Storm was supposed to be used.

I've found the only Storm card I like is Ignite Memories.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

There's a good reason that Tendrils is a staple of the Vintage scene. Outside of Vintage, it takes a huge hit to effectiveness, but not anywhere near unusable. I like Tendrils, but it's just hard to make it work well anymore.
I will always hate storm.
Storm might well be the most broken mechanic ever. I can't think of a way to make a good storm card that isn't easily broken.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
Force of Will is synonymous with Storm for me......as any Storm player must learn how to play against it without just auto-losing.

My fave Storm card is actually Empty the Warrens.
I don't think it's broken.....  however Tendrils is just awesome. 

I both love and loathe Storm decks, depending on whether I'm playing against one.
Storm might well be the most broken mechanic ever. I can't think of a way to make a good storm card that isn't easily broken.

Good and not broken: Dragonstorm, Flusterstorm
Arguably good and not broken: Wing ShardsStorm Entity
Good and arguably not broken: Grapeshot, Temporal FissureEmpty the Warrens
With Wing Shards and Storm Entity, perhaps, since you don't get Yawgmoth's Will fun with the shards, and the entity dies to removal.
139359831 wrote:

Good and not broken: Dragonstorm, Flusterstorm
Arguably good and not broken: Wing ShardsStorm Entity
Good and arguably not broken: Grapeshot, Temporal FissureEmpty the Warrens

I agree with you, exept for temporal fissure, It seems to me that it cost to much, and I think your underestimating storm entity, because it would fit pretty amasingly in a cheap red white deck, or red green deck. It does die to removal, but its cheap.

There is a Pauper deck built around Temporal Fissure, and before the banning of Frantic Search it was one of the most dominant decks. It basically got a couple Familiars and Karoos lands down, then went off amassing mana and drawing its entire library with a combination of Cloud of Faeries, Snap, Frantic Search, Mulldrifter, Mnemonic Wall, and some basic sorcery speed draw spells. Somebody actually wrote a MTG Daily article about it.

As for the Storm Entity, it isn't really insane or anything. There are decks where it can often be a 2/2 with haste or better, but it's incredibly hard to make it a 2/2 haste on turn two which is a pretty big flaw. Creatures in Magic are getting better, so while I think he's decent, I don't think he's obviously good or anything. Of course, some red aggro decks will play Rite of Flame and Rift Bolt, which does make it a bit better.