Soldier deck -- A few questions regarding abilities

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello!

I'm new to this forum, so I'm going to present myself : I'm a Swiss guy, I speak French and English (no, the Swiss do not speak Swiss, we speak French, Italian and Swiss-German, which has about as much to do with German as Mirrodin has to do with New Phyrexia, that is, the same thing, but horribly warped). I also play a lot of video games, mainly Nintendo consoles and PC and do a bit of pen and paper RPGs.

I recently started playing magic, since pretty much all of my friends did it all at once. I have built a white soldier deck with cards that my older brother was kind enough to put to my perusal - including some hilariously broken ones. However, I still have a few questions rearding abilities and optimisation.

My deck:

24x Plains
3x Cenn's Tactician
2x Piety Charm
1x Niveous Wisps
1x Champion of the Parish
1x Elite Inquisitor
2x Longbow Archer
3x Ballyrush Banneret
1x Raise the Alarm
2x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2x Veteran Armorer
1x To Arms!
1x Shared Triumph
1x Ajani, Caller of the Pride
1x Glorious Anthem
1x Mentor of the Meek
2x Crusader of Odric
1x Ghostly Prison
2x Preeminent Captain
1x Daru Warchief
1x Odric, Master Tactician
3x Captain's Call
1x March of Souls
2x Captain of the Watch 

There you have it! So, i would like to know a few things, if you can answer them:

Piety Charm in English reads "Destroy target enchant creature", but in French it reads "Détruisez la créature enchantée ciblée" (Destroy target enchanted creature), what do I do? Does the Golden Rule apply?

- Can I declare Cenn's Tactician as a defender, use its ability and then block two creatures?

- For the Champion of the Parish, can I trigger its ability with Raise the AlarmCaptain's Call and Captain of the Watch, even though the creature are only white soldiers? The three seem to summon human soldiers.

- Regarding Mentor of the Meek's ability, can I use it even if I static abilities like Captain of the WatchShared Triumph or Glorious Anthem cause my creatures to come into play with higher power than 2?

And regarding my deck itself, I am going to add michaelus (not sure of his name, the guy who puts +1/+1 counters on everyone), but should i put less mana, since this deck requires very little? Also, would having a few equipments like Mask of Avacyn and Veteran's Armaments be useful? Are there other cards that allow to spawn a lot of soldier tokens? Any recommended cards? Any ideas?

Thank you very much!
OK, Piety Charm- destroys Enchant Creature cards, NOT a creature WITH an enchantment attached.

Champion of the Parish. No. Humans are humans, soldiers are soldiers. To count as a human, it must say Human in the type line. Hence some cards, such as Mentor of the Meek saying they are Human Soldiers.

Cenn's Tactician. I'm a bit apprehensive to answer this because while I'm pretty sure I know the answer, which is no, I also know that there have been a couple of other obscure rules changes that slipped by me and those I play with on a regular basis. (To my knowledge, all blockers have to be declared at the same time, and by the time he's a blocker, while you do have time to activate his ability, you can't then declare MORE blockers, or change/add to his assignment.) 

Mentor of the Meek will not trigger. Those creatures will resolve with the bonuses in place.

Mask of Avacyn and Veteran's Armaments aren't neccesarily bad, but they aren't GREAT cards either. I can think of other cards that would be more useful in thier place.

Field Marshal is another Soldier Lord. Kor Skyfisher, Kor Aeronaut, Soulcatcher are all flying soldiers that are cheap CMC wise. Rise of the Hobgoblins and Nomads' Assembly can drop lots of tokens. And of course, no Soldier deck should be without Elspeth, Knight Errant, although her $ cost may be prohibitive.  There are LOTS of soldier cards to consider, this is somewhere to start. Rule of thumb is the same as a good goblin or elf deck, "Keep it simple stupid." Keep it focused, and don't get complicated.
Just lost my whole post to computer problems Yell

Ok, again.

1) Always use the current English Oracle text of your cards. That option of Piety Charm now reads "... Destroy target aura attached to a creature ..." and that's what it does, no matter what's written on the card or in what language.

2) If Cenn's Tactician has non+1/+1 counter on it when the declare blockers step begins, it can only block one creature. You don't get the chance to block, do stuff, then block some more. All blockers are declared at once.

3) The tokens are soldiers and nothing else, because the effects creating them specify the creature type, which is only "soldier". The illustrations of the cards are entirely irrelevant.

4) The bonus of Gloriuous Anthem and the like apply as soon as the creature hits the field, before any trigger conditions are checked. Your Mentor will not trigger for a Silvercoat Lion, but Garruk's Packleader would.

In the future, please ask such questions in the Pules Q&A forum above. Very knowledgable people will answer your questions within minutes.

As for the deck, I would not play with less than 23 lands, but would exchange some for utility, like Daru Encampment. Precinct Captain can make soldier tokens as can Mobilization, which also puts your excess mana to good use.
First of all, thanks for the both of you, that was really helpful! I really need to grab a Rise of the Hobgoblins, an Elspeth, Knight Errant and a precinct Captain.

Again, I have three more questions, though these ones are easier (at least, I think). Sacrifice, could you be more specific about these useful enchantments? Is March of Souls worth it, or are there better resets? Finally, Can Odric, Master Tactician force creatures that can't block to block? The wording is imprecise, and i did not find any errata about this.

Thanks a lot!
March of Souls is a sweeper. I think, something simpler and cheaper like Wrath of God or Day of Judgment would be better, since you usually want to sweep, when your opponent has more creatures out than you. Alternatively, Phyrexian Rebirth, while costing 6 mana, leaves you alone with one probably rather large creature.

Regarding Odric, his ability is not imprecise, he does exactly what his ability says: You choose the blockers and how they block. All other decisions regarding the blocks are still made by the defending player. Any and all restrictions and as many requirements as possible must still be met. So a creature that "cannot block" still cannot block, a creature that "must block if able" still has to block.
By other useful cards, I didn't neccesarily mean enchantments. My philosophy with weenie decks is use LOTS of creatures, and make sure they all provide something for one another. The idea is to swarm your opponent. Can't do that with fewer creatures with a bunch of enchantments or equipment on them. This is why I like cards like Captain of the Watch, Field Marshal, and Daru Warchief. They all pump each other up, and offer some more tokens, and they are all willing combatants. For example: A deck list for me might look like this:

4x Field Marshal
3x Daru Warchief
2x Captain of the Watch
3x Crusader of Odric
3x Kor Skyfisher
3x Kor Aeronaut
4x Boros Recruit
3x Valiant Guard
2x Precinct Captain   

4x Raise the Alarm
3x Path to Exile
3x Oblivion Ring

3x Elspeth, Knight Errant

3x Emeria, the Sky Ruin
3x Kjeldoran Outpost 
14x Plains

Not really an awesome deck list, just off the top of my head, but it'll give you an idea. Lots of creatures. Field Marshal, Daru Warchief, and Captain give a P/T buff, and other abilities, such as First Strike and Vigilance. Crusader just keeps getting bigger. The Kors (no relation to the band ) are flyers, which are never bad, Boros and Valiant Guard are the 1-drops to get you out of the gate quicker. Don't be afraid of Valiant Guard's 0 power. Great blocker in the first couple of turns, then starts getting pumped with the lord type cards. Precinct Captain can net you a couple of tokens here and there.

Kor Skyfisher is a risky card. I like it because I can bounce Captain of the Watch back to my hand to recast it for more tokens. But you're not going to see Captain till later in the game, so you'll be left bouncing a 1-drop back to your hand. It's possible to find other soldiers that have a ETB effect that give you a better target for the Skyfisher's bounce cost. Or just don't play it. A lot of classic soldier decks don't bother worrying about flying.   

Raise the alarm is a 4-of no-brainer. PTE and the Ring are what they are, some spot removal if you get in a hairy spot. Don't be afraid of total board wipes though, cause afterwards, you will recover far faster than most other decks.

Elspeth is Elspeth. Soldier tokens. Don't get excited about the indestructibility, cause she SELDOM lasts that long. But a great thing about Elspeth, she's a great distraction for your opponent to waste time dealing with.

This is more of just an idea to show you the structure of what a soldier weenie deck should look like, not really a deck suggestion. Don't get fancy with it. Focus on a quick army and dealing damage. The combination of first strike and vigilance from the Marshal and Captain is fairly potent. Some card draw would be nice. As would life gain. But it will all destract you from hitting hard and quick.

One man's opinion and philosophy. I'm sure others here will have diff ideas...
I always tell people building WW decks this: there is nothing, NOTHING faster than Kithkin. The kithkin deck has the ability to hit for 20 extremely early.

That being said, it looks more like you're looking to overwhelm with tokens.

Mobilization was mentioned, but I personally like Militia's Pride.

Alother good curve topper is Hero of Bladehold.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
Oh soldiers, my favourite trible deck, admittedly probably one of the weaker ones, but at any rate here's my deck list, if your interested I play it in "modern" format.

Artifact
2x aether vial

Creatures
4x ballyrush banneret
3x captain of the watch
4x elite vanguard
2x field marshal
2x loxodon gatekeeper
2x odric, master tactician
4x precinct captain
4x preeminent captain

enchantments
4x honor of the pure
3x militia's pride

instants
3x path to exile

land
16x plains
4x windbrisk heights

sorcery
3x timely reinforcements

sideboard
1x aether vial
1x captain of the watch
2x loxodon gatekeeper
4x goldmeadow harrier
1x timely reinforcements
2x thalia, guardian of thraben
1x path of exile
3x gideon's lawkeeper

4 preeminent captains are a MUST in any soldier deck, this allows you to cheat in more powerful soldiers, it's normally a priority for removal by your opponent because if he doesn't, he could lose the following turn.

your winning card is captain of the watch, once that hits the board it's normally over for your opponent, or at the very least he could suffer very serious damages, your obvious combo would be with preeminent captain, but since it is normally the target of burns/removals, you will also need to rely windbrisk heights. Windbrisk heights should be your ONLY land that comes in tapped, it gives you a sort of scrying effect, its as good as it will ever get for mono white, always pick captain of the watch if you find her.

if that fails militias pride would your other way of winning, it's one of the easier way of triggering windbrisk heights ability, I am personally not a fan of Mobilization, but if you want to run it over militias pride, I would suggest replacing 4 plains with cavern of souls, it's quite pricy, at around $18 per card, but something for you to consider.

There are actually a lot more to cover, but some of the issues I found with soldiers in general is, they tend to stall at around 4th turn onwards, it is possible to play your entire hand early on, then it becomes draw and pray.

Sign In to post comments