Looking for beginner's help

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't want to ramble on and on...  but for the past 3 days since getting Magic 2013 on Xbox I've been addicted. I collected paper magic 10~ years ago but never really got into it.

I've unlocked all the decks including the DLC and promo cards. I was wondering is there a "best" list of deck builds and for certain styles/game types. I love to read detailed builds so the more, the better. A lot of the threads I've seen suggest a build but I get confused when several people are going back and forth on specific cards to include/exclude. The slang is still foreign to me; ramp, aggro etc. I've started to be familiar with steps in your turn, and card effects (Haste, Trample, Exalted, Lifelink)

The deck I "probably" do my best with is Pack Instinct but after I bought all the decks I found a few of them much more fun but I'm struggling with builds. My Pack Instinct is probably a "nooby" build. Here is what I use:

3x Prey Upon
2x Primal Bellow
1x Ulvenwald Tracker
2x Garruk's Companion
1x Lightning Graves
4x Nature's Lore
2x Primordial Hydra
1x Vineslasher Kudzu
2x Cultivate
1x Dungrove Elder
3x Leatherback Baloth
1x Chameleon Colossus
1x Master of the Wild Hunt
2x Timbermaw Larva
1x Garruk's Packleader
1x Indrik Stomphowler 
1x Vorapede
2x Primalcrux
1x Rampaging Baloths
1x Terra Stomper
1x Avenger of Zendikar
1x Howl of the Night Pack

24x Forest

*shrugs cluelessly* :P
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
- BenG!
I've fallen into a slum, where I made all my decks consistent, but I often fall victim to one-of victory conditions.  I've been playing some Mass Effect tonite www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9KW1fo8mqs, so Imma try and go into Magic mode!

Some keywords are pretty simple in the way people talk:
Aggro - like fast play and dmg the hp, all in
Burn - sorcery and instant spells to damage stuff
Tempo - holding on to the race, such that you succeed over time.  Peacekeepers is a good example of Tempo, and so is Pack Instinct.  All decks have tempo.
Ramp - loss of early bodies, to gain lands and power (see: Sol Ring)
Control - countering cards or spells on a 1 for 1 card basis, so each player is equal or behind later.
Combat tricks - Instant spells that have an effect on the field
Card Advantage - having more cards, which can be anything!  Very powerful
Snickers - A full bar would be the best treat on Halloween, however weak to tooth decay
Midrange is kinda missing in the game, where you simply outclass your opponent via stronger creatures (just because IMO, the stuff is powerful for cheaper for all colours after the creatures got strong).  But this is because of the tempo of the meta of hexproof, sacrifice, removal, etc.

I'd suggest +1 Fog to you, because for the opponent who knows you MAY have a fog, as long as you have 1 card in your hand and 1 forest untapped it could be so.  You can probably find an answer the question for youself, if ya can ever decide whether you want Garruk's Packleader or Indrik Stomphowler since you cannot tutor either.  Which works more often, to be consistent!  Tutor means to search a library archive for a particular card.

I'd play some 2012 with ya if you want, using the cards.  But in that game, the Meta is more like hoping to get the card that gives +1/+1 to other creatures.  Maybe it will help ya figure out your stance.

Perhaps try out Rakdos deck (w/o Rakdos), and rock on with a Onyx Mage + Sootsoak rakdos guildmage haste + Blood cup ping girl.  That way, on turn 5, if you have them out, you basically could destroy all of Garruk's future creatures (unless of course, he drew a prey upon or primal surge or hexproof or undine).  It should give you an idea, and I hope you can get more ideas!
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Try out this thread. I hope it pastes ok as I'm on my phone.
Imo, I would lose a Companion, keep one Leatherback, have of your Packleaders, loae the Kudzu. Everything else looks darn strong although the Cameleon and Primalcrux have always been situational to me. As for Timbermaw (I believe there are three) I run all. All of that is only my opinion.
Now please someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a long time since I used this deck, I think you can attack with your Larva, it pumps to amount of mana you control, and in your endstep use Prey Upon to take out opponents fatty.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

I don't want to ramble on and on...  but for the past 3 days since getting Magic 2013 on Xbox I've been addicted. I collected paper magic 10~ years ago but never really got into it.

I've unlocked all the decks including the DLC and promo cards. I was wondering is there a "best" list of deck builds and for certain styles/game types. I love to read detailed builds so the more, the better. A lot of the threads I've seen suggest a build but I get confused when several people are going back and forth on specific cards to include/exclude. The slang is still foreign to me; ramp, aggro etc. I've started to be familiar with steps in your turn, and card effects (Haste, Trample, Exalted, Lifelink)

The deck I "probably" do my best with is Pack Instinct but after I bought all the decks I found a few of them much more fun but I'm struggling with builds. My Pack Instinct is probably a "nooby" build. Here is what I use:

3x Prey Upon
2x Primal Bellow
1x Ulvenwald Tracker
2x Garruk's Companion
1x Lightning Graves
4x Nature's Lore
2x Primordial Hydra
1x Vineslasher Kudzu
2x Cultivate
1x Dungrove Elder
3x Leatherback Baloth
1x Chameleon Colossus
1x Master of the Wild Hunt
2x Timbermaw Larva
1x Garruk's Packleader
1x Indrik Stomphowler 
1x Vorapede
2x Primalcrux
1x Rampaging Baloths
1x Terra Stomper
1x Avenger of Zendikar
1x Howl of the Night Pack

24x Forest

*shrugs cluelessly* :P
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
- BenG!

Pack Instinct is a fun deck to play but it lacks removal (you have a few prey upon and master of the wld hunt if he lives) and doesn't really have answers for artifacts/enchantments aside from Indrik which you have 1x...and also has some issues with fliers ....

That build looks solid to me. Looks pretty cose to what I run. With 4x nature's lure and 2x cultivate...you should be able to ramp quickly and drop bombs early in quite a few games.

Someone suggested fog and I suppose it can be used as a trick. Opponent swings at you for the win and taps their creatures, you play fog and swing back at them for the win...Its a decent card with the primal belows.... I run a blanchwood armor too but some people here don't like it as you open yourself up to a 2 for 1 in a deck lacking card draw.....

If you are running The Zendikar and Holw of the Night pack, Biorythm is also a card to consider. Certainly helps against Celestial Light and allows you to sneak a win occasional. The mana ramping of this deck means its usually playable in a reasonable amount of time...
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... Try out this thread. I hope it pastes ok as I'm on my phone. Imo, I would lose a Companion, keep one Leatherback, have of your Packleaders, loae the Kudzu. Everything else looks darn strong although the Cameleon and Primalcrux have always been situational to me. As for Timbermaw (I believe there are three) I run all. All of that is only my opinion. Now please someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a long time since I used this deck, I think you can attack with your Larva, it pumps to amount of mana you control, and in your endstep use Prey Upon to take out opponents fatty.

I disagree completely on the leatherback. A 4/5 for 3 mana? That is awesome! Run them all! I do not disagree on the Companion issue. I can see cutting him and I like the timermaw larva as well.

Primalcrux is a 6/6 no matter what.

Also, I guess I am not seeing Fangren Firstborn...he pumps all the creatures permanently so 1x seems prudent. He is better in 2HG though since he pumps your teammates creatures as well.
@killa
Agreed Leathback is awesome but I only run 1 as this deck ramps so well you can bring out a bigger boy next turn. Primalcrux.. I run 1. Blanchwood screams, ''kill me!'' but I still love it.
I'll leave it that so this thread doesn't grow to big.
@Garnierx
Try going to the above link for disscusion about this deck. When you post in it, it will bump up in the threads and I'm sure some discussion will start up again.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

The problem with Fangren Firstborn is that unless your opponent is running a deck with no creatures and no removal, it's going to die as soon as it attacks, if not sooner. In most cases, you're paying to maybe get two +1/+1 counters if you're lucky. Not exactly great value for money, especially if you compare it to something like Incremental Growth, which, if it resolves, guarantees you six +1/+1 counters for only 1 more mana.

And I don't run Incremental Growth, either.
The problem with Fangren Firstborn is that unless your opponent is running a deck with no creatures and no removal, it's going to die as soon as it attacks, if not sooner. In most cases, you're paying to maybe get two +1/+1 counters if you're lucky. Not exactly great value for money, especially if you compare it to something like Incremental Growth, which, if it resolves, guarantees you six +1/+1 counters for only 1 more mana.

And I don't run Incremental Growth, either.

Four mana to put a permanent +1+1 counter on a few creatures and to draw and kill a blocker doesn't seem bad though--or even drawing out a removal with him is still a plus sometimes. But still, yeah, he seems better suited for 2HG because he has the oppurtuinity to pump 2x the creatures....

Good point about the incremental growth though!

This deck needs an overrunn!
It's not useful to evaluate cards in isolation, but rather, you should consider how each fits into your strategic plan for the deck.  Having people tell you "drop the Companions" isn't useful,  unless you know why they think you should drop them, and what strategic plan they are using to evaluate the card as unworthy of inclusion.  If your strategy is to kill the opponent quickly, before they have a chance to play much, you can't do much better than a turn 2 Garruk's Companion.  If your strategy is to quickly get forests out, and drop a Terra Stomper out on turn 4 that balks at your opponent's Peace Strider he dropped the same turn, the Companion is much less useful.

In the case of Pack Instinct, I would suggest deciding if you want to be more of an "aggro" deck or a "ramp" deck.  Trying to split the two winds up with a weaker deck in general.  For instance, if you're aggro, and Companion is good, you probably want to include 4.  If you're ramp, and it's bad, you might want to include 0.  In general, you don't want cards like Companion and Howl of the Night Pack in the same deck, because they don't fit the same game plan. (This rule is somewhat weakened in DotP where you have a restricted set of cards, and sometimes it's more about taking the best of options available, than the best card for your strategy.)  Decks that play Howl want to play Emerald Medallion on turn 2, followed by Nature's Lore and Cultivate on turn 3, and a Howl for 6 wolves on turn 4.  The only way Companion fits into that line of play, is to play it early and slow down your ramp to cast Howl, or play it on turn 5 when it's barely relevant anymore.

If you go aggro, I'd drop the more expensive creatures and put in more Companions, Fangren Firstborn, and Timbermaw Larva.  If you go ramp, I'd drop the Companions, Larva, and maybe the Leatherback Baloths, and add in all the ramp (Medallions, Nature's Lore, Cultivate) and about 8 of your favorite 6+ drops.  Personally, I prefer PI Ramp to PI Aggro, not because Aggro is bad, but because there are already other aggro decks, and if I play PI it's because I want something different.
It's not useful to evaluate cards in isolation, but rather, you should consider how each fits into your strategic plan for the deck.  Having people tell you "drop the Companions" isn't useful,  unless you know why they think you should drop them, and what strategic plan they are using to evaluate the card as unworthy of inclusion.  If your strategy is to kill the opponent quickly, before they have a chance to play much, you can't do much better than a turn 2 Garruk's Companion.  If your strategy is to quickly get forests out, and drop a Terra Stomper out on turn 4 that balks at your opponent's Peace Strider he dropped the same turn, the Companion is much less useful.

In the case of Pack Instinct, I would suggest deciding if you want to be more of an "aggro" deck or a "ramp" deck. 

Trying to split the two winds up with a weaker deck in general.  For instance, if you're aggro, and Companion is good, you probably want to include 4.  If you're ramp, and it's bad, you might want to include 0.  In general, you don't want cards like Companion and Howl of the Night Pack in the same deck, because they don't fit the same game plan. (This rule is somewhat weakened in DotP where you have a restricted set of cards, and sometimes it's more about taking the best of options available, than the best card for your strategy.)  Decks that play Howl want to play Emerald Medallion on turn 2, followed by Nature's Lore and Cultivate on turn 3, and a Howl for 6 wolves on turn 4.  The only way Companion fits into that line of play, is to play it early and slow down your ramp to cast Howl, or play it on turn 5 when it's barely relevant anymore.

If you go aggro, I'd drop the more expensive creatures and put in more Companions, Fangren Firstborn, and Timbermaw Larva.  If you go ramp, I'd drop the Companions, Larva, and maybe the Leatherback Baloths, and add in all the ramp (Medallions, Nature's Lore, Cultivate) and about 8 of your favorite 6+ drops.  Personally, I prefer PI Ramp to PI Aggro, not because Aggro is bad, but because there are already other aggro decks, and if I play PI it's because I want something different.

I disagree with the portion in bold above. Ramp decking is far too inconsistent without early defense like the Leatherbacks and even the companion can be nice.

You have 2x cultivate, 4x natures lore and 2x medallion...that is 8 cards helping you do what you want in a ramp deck out of 60. What are your odds of drawing more than one of them per game to start? Not very good I'd say... You cannot rely on having more than one to start each game. Its not going to happen.

At the very least, the 3x leatherbacks provide GREAT blocking and stall. Running a companion or two isn't necessarily bad play even in a ramp deck...

I used to buy into it but that that black or white ramp/aggo distinction is pretty bad. To be perfectly honest, the aggro should have a few late game bombs and the Ramp deck can't expect to have adequate ramp every game, you need some other early plays. 3x leatherbacks are auto include in every build in my opinion---ramp or aggro. The card is too good for 3 mana.... Not doing so is a mistake to me. The companions, well argument can go either way but a 2 mana 3/2 TRAMPLE in a mana ramping deck with 2x blanchwood armor and 3x primal below isn't a bad thing either...

I disagree with the portion in bold above. Ramp decking is far too inconsistent without early defense like the Leatherbacks and even the companion can be nice.

You have 2x cultivate, 4x natures lore and 2x medallion...that is 8 cards helping you do what you want in a ramp deck out of 60. What are your odds of drawing more than one of them per game to start? Not very good I'd say... You cannot rely on having more than one to start each game. Its not going to happen.

Which is why I made the point about DotP being a different animal, and taking the best of your limited pool.  It's better to understand the general principal of building a deck with focus, and then tempering those baseline ideas to fit your constraints of DotP, than to think that it's actually an ideal strategy to have Biorythm in the same deck as Garruk's Companion.  Including Leatherback Baloth in a ramp-style PI or Primalcrux in an aggro-style PI is fine, as long as you realize that it's a downgrade from the Overgrown Battlement or Strangleroot Geist that you actually wish you had.

Regardless of the inevitable overlap within the varients of the DotP decks, you should have a strategy in mind when you build it.  And that strategy carries over when you're making decisions once the game starts.  It's what helps you decide if you're attacking into a Lone Missionary with your Garruk's Companion - remembering the original intent of the Companion, within your deck as a whole.
Thank you to everyone who has responded. I read every word and it has helped a lot.

I've been thinking really hard into what strategy I'd want to focus on the most. I feel like the build I listed in the OP was a mix of both, but mostly towards a ramp build.

I know for a fact I will have 3x Leatherback Baloths, any build. 3 Mana for a 4/5 is just too good. It has bailed me from getting hit cleanly multiple times and creates more time for me to get those bigger creatures out. This card is one of my favourites in the deck. Smile

I will play around with 2/3x Timbermaw Larvas. I found I never played three of them before I took one out becuase by that time I could have I was already playing a larger creature. (eg Primalcrus or Terra Stomper). I'll test the deck without the Companions, although I think a 3/2 for 2 Mana with Trample is a like a "miniature Leatherback Baloth" in a way but playing it on turn 2. Tongue Out

I feel like I have a decent understanding of the Pack Instinct deck and want to start exploring the other decks in DotP.

One thing I really want to do is play with a multi-colored deck. I'm not sure if I should bother since I am still learning certain combinations and "tricks" with cards. I found with Pack Instinct there isn't a lot of instants/counters and I really want to begin using and learning how to use a wider range of cards.

So far the only decks I've really played with are: Pack Instinct and Goblin Gangland. Any suggestions for a multi-color deck for a nooby like myself? I have looked at the Sepulchral Strength deck becuase Forest and Swamp are probably my two favourite colors in Magic. I looked at  Obedient Dead as well becuase it's a Swamp deck but I just don't know what to do.

On multiple occasions I've been told I was in a winning position and I make a really nooby mistake and I lose the game. A major problem for me is knowing when to attack and keeping enough Mana to play Instants but Pack Instinct hasn't really given me the oppurtunities to learn that aspect of the game becuase there isn't many to use in the deck.

Off to play, checking back in later! Laughing
Thank you to everyone who has responded. I read every word and it has helped a lot.

I've been thinking really hard into what strategy I'd want to focus on the most. I feel like the build I listed in the OP was a mix of both, but mostly towards a ramp build.

I know for a fact I will have 3x Leatherback Baloths, any build. 3 Mana for a 4/5 is just too good. It has bailed me from getting hit cleanly multiple times and creates more time for me to get those bigger creatures out. This card is one of my favourites in the deck. 

I will play around with 2/3x Timbermaw Larvas. I found I never played three of them before I took one out becuase by that time I could have I was already playing a larger creature. (eg Primalcrus or Terra Stomper). I'll test the deck without the Companions, although I think a 3/2 for 2 Mana with Trample is a like a "miniature Leatherback Baloth" in a way but playing it on turn 2. 

I feel like I have a decent understanding of the Pack Instinct deck and want to start exploring the other decks in DotP.

One thing I really want to do is play with a multi-colored deck. I'm not sure if I should bother since I am still learning certain combinations and "tricks" with cards. I found with Pack Instinct there isn't a lot of instants/counters and I really want to begin using and learning how to use a wider range of cards.

So far the only decks I've really played with are: Pack Instinct and Goblin Gangland. Any suggestions for a multi-color deck for a nooby like myself? I have looked at the Sepulchral Strength deck becuase Forest and Swamp are probably my two favourite colors in Magic. I looked at  Obedient Dead as well becuase it's a Swamp deck but I just don't know what to do.

On multiple occasions I've been told I was in a winning position and I make a really nooby mistake and I lose the game. A major problem for me is knowing when to attack and keeping enough Mana to play Instants but Pack Instinct hasn't really given me the oppurtunities to learn that aspect of the game becuase there isn't many to use in the deck.

Off to play, checking back in later! 

I only discovered MtG when I downloaded DotP 2013, so here's some advice from a fellow n00b. Get online, play ranked matches, and watch the combos and interactions the other players use. Pay attention to the timing of their instant spells and abilities. Notice what cards they do and don't use. The first time I saw someone imprint a Panoptic Mirror on their own upkeep, I was floored. I learned the hard way that attacking into a board with an untapped Royal Assassin gets your attacker killed before the damage is assigned. A Deathbringer Thoctar with a single +1/+1 counter can wipe an entire board if it's enchanted by Onyx Mage. You can get Rancor into the graveyard if you Murder or Repulse the target before it resolves. You can declare a blocker and then return it to your hand with Erratic Portal before the damage is assigned to prevent combat damage (unless the attacker has trample!).

The other side is to learn from your foolish mistakes. I have cast Rite of Replication on Phage the Untouchable. I have attached Sword of Body and Mind onto a creature that I Mind Controlled the turn before. I used to think Sign in Blood was a cool damage spell. And many more.

Another thing I should mention is to pay especially close attention to the deck size of your opponents.  If they are playing 60 or 61 cards then they are likely to be skilled players. If they are playing 100 card decks well... let's just say I hate losing to those guys.

Good luck!

And if you are on the Xbox and would like to play a few hands, my GamerTag is Hakeem928.

@Hakeem
How true. Opponent cast 2 Sign's on me the other night and I loved it!

Show

Which is why I made the point about DotP being a different animal, and taking the best of your limited pool.  It's better to understand the general principal of building a deck with focus, and then tempering those baseline ideas to fit your constraints of DotP, than to think that it's actually an ideal strategy to have Biorythm in the same deck as Garruk's Companion.  Including Leatherback Baloth in a ramp-style PI or Primalcrux in an aggro-style PI is fine, as long as you realize that it's a downgrade from the Overgrown Battlement or Strangleroot Geist that you actually wish you had.

Regardless of the inevitable overlap within the varients of the DotP decks, you should have a strategy in mind when you build it.  And that strategy carries over when you're making decisions once the game starts.  It's what helps you decide if you're attacking into a Lone Missionary with your Garruk's Companion - remembering the original intent of the Companion, within your deck as a whole.

What is wrong with Biorythm and a Companion in this limited format? Aura Servants, Celestial Light, Liliana, Yeva, Exalted to a lesser extent.... and so on all have ilifegain. Biorythm is there to steal a win once in a while. But once again, there is not enough ramp in PI  to expect to drop bombs two to three turns early every game..

Your distinction between aggro is good and all and its nice to know how you are building your deck, but your comment about not straddling between the two builds was erroneous. Now if you included all the ramp and only a few bombs then you would have an issue. You should have all the ramp with lots of bombs and a few early creatures (3x Leatherback and possibly a few companions). You need some early game plays for when you don't draw a single or multiple ramping cards.... Otherwise you run the risk of consistently getting steamrolled...

What is wrong with Biorythm and a Companion in this limited format?

In this format, it can be fine, which is what I said.  My point, again, is that it's important to understand the difference between "I'm playing DotP, I need some early defense, and out of the cards available to me, Companion fits that slot" and "Companion is awesome because I can attack for 3 on turn 2, and Biorythm is awesome because I can potentially drop someone from 30 to 0 on turn 12, so they must be awesome together!"  When I say you should focus and not straddle builds, it's not about whether there are cards you include in both styles of builds, but rather, you should know why you are including them.  You're own reasoning for including Companions and Leatherbacks in a "ramp style" deck is because they are early drops and defense for when you can't ramp, which makes sense for a ramp mentality.  You're not including them with the primary intent to attack people with 2 and 3 drops, which is what you would say if you wanted to run an aggro PI build.

I tested a build without using the 2x Primordial Hydras and replaced them with 2x Garruk's Packleader. I found with the Hydras it was too much overkill. I might switch up something I rarely use like Howl of the Night Pack for another Stomphowler honestly. I find when ramping up early game it a lot more beneficial drawing more cards and getting rid of an Artifact/Enchantment

The next deck(s) I want to look at are the Peacekeepers and one including Swamps, when I collected paper magic I loved Black decks the most. With forest closely following behind. I really want to start experiencing with a token themed deck too, Peacekeepers seems a little more fun than the Goblin Gangland.