Paladin: Divine Counter

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a question about Paladin's 2nd level utility power "Divine Counter"(in Divine Power book),
and want to hear your opinions.

The power's description says:

Effect: You take only half damage from the triggering enemy’s attack, and the triggering enemy is subject to your divine sanction until the end of its next turn.

Does it mean actually that paladin takes "only half damage" and blocks any other accompanying effects?
Or only the damage itself will be reduced to half and he gets other effects accompanying the triggering attack?

ex)
An drow wizard hits the paladin with the attack:"the target takes 30 damage and become dazed".
The paladin uses Divine Counter,
and then;

a)He only takes 15 damage. No dazing.

b)He takes 15 damage and become dazed.

Which do you think is appropriate?

Powers in 4e read quite literally.  They do what they say they do and nothing else.

The power says nothing about nullifying any conditions imposed by the attack, so it does not.  The paladin would take 15 damage and become dazed.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
B. - He takes 15 damage and becomes dazed.  The effect still occurs because the power doesn't say it changes the effect and there isn't any other rule that says the effect would change in this case.  Furthermore, if there are any modifiers to the damage like resistance or vulnerability, apply those first, then halve the damage per the Half Damage rules in Rules Compendium page 226.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”