Braid of Fire and what can I do with it nowadays?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I just ran across an old deckbox with some cards I was working with to build a deck. Seems somewhat like dragons and Braid of Fire. I guess I was going with the idea of using Furnace Whelp with Dwarven Warriors, pumping the Braid mana into after making it unblockable and smacking someone.

Wondering what could be done nowadays with Braid?  Maybe my recent involvement in someone's Izzet Dragon deck thread and this is telling me to make my own? Anything fancy anyone can think of to use all that free mana during upkeep that isn't just plain to-the-face-burn?

This is just off the top of my head. Work in progress, and may still be editing this thread. R/U aggro dragons. I said it was a tall order in the other thread, but I'm gonna do it!

I have the mana base to make just about anything work, and would kind of like the flavor of dropping a Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker for fun. But it's optional. Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius would be cool too. The idea is that with the Hypersonic D, I can play Teleportal, Fodder, and Thoughtflare during upkeep with Braid mana. Not a counterspell deck, but a couple of counters are there to stop anything that would stop a Teleportal or Voracious from coming down. Cryptic is COMPLETELY just off the top off my head. I have a couple Mana Drains I could put there maybe...
you are looking for goblin tunneler, as for braids of fire, you could add some hydras into that, in fact, you could do an :Xm: deck, I forgot the name, but theres one card from the lorwyn/shadowmoor set that has "add :4: mana to your mana pool, use this only on :Xm:", you could put doubling season in, and have gilder bairn too, you could have slime molding, and profilderate. it would be bad, but fun.
Yes, just found the Goblin, and edited some more stuff. The direction is aggro dragons, which I have stated in another thread is a tough build IMO. I guess coming across the Braids put me up to the challenge. Part of that challenge will be to limit it to Dragons and Goblins, although the Guildmage breaks that rule already.
Maybe add some instant burn spells like Comet Storm or Volcanic Geyser? It could give you more to do with all that mana.
On the blue side of the "x" cost, there's Stroke of Genius, Increasing Confusion, and Reality Spasm.

And that's my 2 cents

"Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this."

Honestly trying to stay from pure X burn. Not my favorite strategy, I look at it as being kinda cheesy. I like Stroke though, didn't even think about that.

I did look at all the Flash Dragons, Bogarden is tempting, and may yet be of some use. 
use the braid of fires to charge up gemstone array and use the excess mana for whatever you want.
Honestly trying to stay from pure X burn. Not my favorite strategy, I look at it as being kinda cheesy. I like Stroke though, didn't even think about that.

I did look at all the Flash Dragons, Bogarden is tempting, and may yet be of some use. 

yay you liked one of my suggestions! -feels accomplished-

Also the Bogarden would be pretty sweet in the deck.

"Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this."

Braid of Fire is fantastic acceleration into Dragonstorm. Use Phyrexian Mana cards like Gitaxian Prove and Gut Shot to add to storm count, have Fervor out - Utvara Kellkite and friends pop out for the win.

Braid of Fire is fantastic acceleration into Dragonstorm. Use Phyrexian Mana cards like Gitaxian Prove and Gut Shot to add to storm count, have Fervor out - Utvara Kellkite and friends pop out for the win.

Sorry to say, but Braid of Fire does not accelerate into Dragonstorm.  You can only cast Dragonstorm during your main phase when the stack is empty because it's a sorcery.  Check the ruling on Braid of Fire:

"Any of this mana that isn't spent during your upkeep step will be removed before your draw step begins. You cannot save it to be spent on the card you will draw this turn."

My EDH decks:

Erebos ()

Damia ()

Ghave ()

Sliver Overlord ()

That's what the Hypersonic Dragons are for. No, I would not be able to play Dragonstorm if I have no Hypersonics in play.
Yes, of course.  But my post was more in response to Nocculum who made no references to Hypersonic Dragon in his post - it just sounded like "those two cards work well together without support from other cards".  We used to have a player in our group that thought you could float the mana from Braid through your entire turn, so I imagine it's come up with other people too.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

My EDH decks:

Erebos ()

Damia ()

Ghave ()

Sliver Overlord ()

Yeah, I always wanted to abuse Braid of Fire and Upwelling. I figure a Dragon deck oughta do it.