Need help fine tuning my Grixis Control Deck

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Heya, I built this deck couple weeks ago and it's doing decent. But it has some flaws... I would also like to improve this deck to be better against aggro decks. But as we all know that's kind of hard now for grixis because we lost Slagstorm and Whipflare.

Also this deck has been having some color issues, so any help on that would be awesome.

With out further ado, the deck:

Creatures: 8

3 Olivia Voldaren
1 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius
2 Snapcaster Mage
1 Balefire dragon
1 Harvester of Souls

Spells: 22
1 Gilded Lotus
3 Dissipate (Should I go 2 Dissipate and 1 Essense Scatter?)
2 Forbidden Alchemy
3 Think Twice
2 Tragic Slip
3 Bonfire of the Damned
2 Dreadbore
2 Flames of the Firebrand
1 Mizzium Motars
3 Pillar of Flame

Planeswalkers: 5
1 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
2 Liliana the Veil
1 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
1 Jace Archtitect of Though
(Should I have Chandra the Firebrand in here?) 

Lands: 25
2 Blood Crypt
1 Cavern of Souls
2 Desolate Lighthouse
2 Dragonskull Summits
3 Drowned Catacombs
3 Island
3 Mountain
3 Swamp
3 Steam Vents
3 Sulfur Falls

Sideboard
1 Pithing Needle
1 Tormod's Crypt
3 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Curse of Death's Hold
2 Negate
2 Smelt
3 Duress
1 Mizzium Mortars
Decks I play: Modern: R/G Tron B/w Soul Sisters EDH: Gisela Midrange Edric Tap em down n' Swing Karrthus, the dragonlord Kaervek, the troll. Standard: The Aristocrats
balefire dragon seems weak.   might i introduce you to my finisher, sphinx of uthuun

bonfire is terrible in control decks.  you are better off running more mortars.  also, magmaquake is pretty decent.... but maybe not with the amount of PWs you have.  still, run more mortars, that is a solid card for the deck.

you need more sources of mana, this is a for sure thing.  26 lands, and then probably a couple keyrunes   

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

balefire dragon seems weak.   might i introduce you to my finisher, sphinx of uthuun

bonfire is terrible in control decks.  you are better off running more mortars.  also, magmaquake is pretty decent.... but maybe not with the amount of PWs you have.  still, run more mortars, that is a solid card for the deck.

you need more sources of mana, this is a for sure thing.  26 lands, and then probably a couple keyrunes   

Creatures: 8

3 Olivia Voldaren
1 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius
2 Snapcaster Mage
1 Sphinx of Uthuun
1 Harvester of Souls

Spells: 21 
1 Gilded Lotus
3 Dissipate (Should I go 2 Dissipate and 1 Essense Scatter?)
2 Forbidden Alchemy
3 Think Twice
2 Tragic Slip 
2 Dreadbore
2 Flames of the Firebrand 
3 Mizzium Motars
3 Pillar of Flame

Planeswalkers: 5 
1 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
2 Liliana the Veil
1 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
1 Jace Archtitect of Though (Should I have Chandra the Firebrand in here?)

Lands: 26 
2 Blood Crypt
1 Cavern of Souls
2 Desolate Lighthouse
2 Dragonskull Summits
3 Drowned Catacombs
4 Island
3 Mountain
3 Swamp
3 Steam Vents
3 Sulfur Falls

Sideboard
1 Pithing Needle
1 Tormod's Crypt
3 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Curse of Death's Hold
2 Negate
2 Smelt
3 Duress
1 Blasphemous Act

Changes:
-1 Balefire Dragon
-3 Bonfire of the Damned
+2 Nivizzium Mortars
+1 Island
+1 Sphinx of Uthuun

As for the keyrunes, I was thinking about the izzet one, but what do I take out for 2-3 keyrunes?
Decks I play: Modern: R/G Tron B/w Soul Sisters EDH: Gisela Midrange Edric Tap em down n' Swing Karrthus, the dragonlord Kaervek, the troll. Standard: The Aristocrats
Let me first say I love Grixis control; I've been running it since Innistrad. My current build has now taken first at two FNM's, so any suggestions and critiques I offer are understandably based on that build. Hope I can help you.

First, the mana base as you said you have some color issues. I run playsets of the relevant duals, Bloodcrypt, Steam Vents, Dragonskull Summit, Drowned Catacomb, and Sulfur Falls. The wonderful thing about it is that with just one shock in play, the other three duals all come in untapped. And with eight shocks, it's not hard to hit. The Cavern strikes me as a bit odd as well. Desolate Lighthouse has served me well, letting me dig into the deck mid to late game.

For the aggro issue, I run planeswalker light. 2x Lili's and one Bolas, Bolas being sided against aggro. Vampire Nighthawk is great as it gives a good blocker, can take on big threats, and most importantly gains you like that is sometimes sorely needed. Magamquake also shines, being instant speed and leaving the board, with the exception of perhaps a snapcaster you've used, untouched. I think you could also safely cut tragic slip, and go for Izzet Charm. Has the potential to counter, and two damage at instant speed can go a long way.
And as a special note on this, Tribute to Hunger has been an all star in most all of my matchups.

For other more general comments, the Lotus doesn't seem to be needed in the deck. With duals you don't need the color support, and with the draw power this deck can generate plus the support of snapcaster, you can go into the late game without the lotus. Jace also seems underwhelming, at least as a one of, and the Sphinx and harvester, while good on their own, I don't see fitting well into the deck.
http://thedailydungeon.blogspot.com/ My Daily D&D blog - cities, dungeons, NPC's, and more