Need help with W/G Life Gain/Large Creature Deck Please

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello everyone, I've been playing Magic the Gathering for about a month now and with the new Return to Ravnica release and some of my old cards no longer being valid in standard I've realized I think it would be really fun to create a mainly white, splash of green life gaining deck. The end game to this deck would be to trample all over a person with a bunch of Armada Wurms (who I can combo with Cloudshift) or to smack them in the face with a really large Serra Avatar. The deck also has a fallback pump system in place with Ajani, Caller of the Pride, Angel of Jubilation and Deadbridge Goliath.

The difficulty I'm having is that as I'm relatively new I'm not to sure if I am being to much a slave to my theme or if there are better cards out there then the ones I'm currently considering for my deck. I also have a sideboard pre-constructed to be answers to people running zombies, flashback cards, nilling and enchantments.

Let me know what you think please, I am open to constructive criticism! Thanks :D

Edit:Sorry, I didn't put in the Auto Card feature before, I rectified this so hopefully this will make life easier!

Total Cards in Deck 60
Creatures
Serra Avatar x1
Deadbridge Goliath x2
Thragtusk x2
Armada Wurm x1
Trostani Selesnya's Voice x2
Cathedral Sanctifier x4
Seraph of Dawn x2
Centaur Healer x3
Ajani Sunstriker x3
Angel of Jubilation x2
Elite Inquisitor x3
Warclamp Mastiff x2
Rhox Faithmender x2

Instants
Heroe's Reunion x2
Cloudshift x3

Artifacts
Elixir of Immortality x2

Enchantments
Curse of Exhaustion x2

Planeswalker
Ajani, Caller of the Pride x1

Lands
Gavony Township x1
Sunpetal Grotto x4
Selesnya Guildgate x4
Temple Garden x4
Cavern of Souls x2
Plains x6

Sideboard
Garruk Primal Hunter x1
Avacyn, Angel of Hope x1
Knight of Glory x2
Loxodon Smiter x2
Safe Passage x2
Cursebreak x2
Purify the Grave x3
Elderscale Wurm x1
Cloudshift x1

Life gain decks just make a bigger target. 

This looks like it could easily become a GW beaters deck. Look into effectively curved creatures, the Selesnya Charm, and Rancor.

Also, to link cards, type this without line-spaces:

[_c_]_CARD_[_/_c_] 

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Thanks! I realized that two minutes afer I posted it. Sorry about that, I have fixed it now. I originally ran the Selesnya Charm and Rancor but they didn't seem to help me to much and felt like a mana burn...I really do miss Rancor though, it ran beautifully in my original G/W beaters deck...which I can't run anymore lol.
Creatures
Deadbridge Goliath x2
Thragtusk x2
Armada Wurm x1
Trostani Selesnya's Voice x2
Centaur Healer x3
Elite Inquisitor x3
Loxodon Smiter x2
Arbor Elf x4
Avacyn's Pilgrim x4

Instants
Selesnya Charm x4
Revenge of the Hunted x2

Enchantments
Rancor x4

Sorceries
Call of the Conclave x4

Lands
Gavony Township x1
Sunpetal Grotto x4
Selesnya Guildgate x2
Temple Garden x4
Cavern of Souls x2
Plains x5
Forest x5

Sideboard
Garruk Primal Hunter x1
Knight of Glory x2
Other Stuff

Based on your list, this is what I'd run. The charms, rancors, call of the conclaves, mana dorks, and revenge of the hunted should cost you like 8 bucks total to get. If you want to invest more, look into playing some resto angels, and entreat the angels, and filled out all 4 thragtusk slots. You should also get 4 Knight of Glory in your SB, as well as at least 2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben against control decks, again in your SB.

The idea here is to play ahead of curve, so by playing a mana dork turn one you can slam down Loxodon turn 2 then turn 3 cast rancor on it and slam down another, or play a turn 3 goliath or what have you. 

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

as a zombie player, I really hate seeing my opponent play a turn 1 dork followed by a turn 2 centaur healer.  Because it means he will probably follow it with a turn 3 Trostani and a turn 4 thragtusk.  That kind of race is very difficult to win.  The healer and value pig both outweigh my zombies and the only answers I have for trostani are dreadbore or discard effects before it gets cast.

definitely up your thragtusk count to 4 at the first opportunity And put your rancors back in.  Those two changes will have the largest impact for the smallest investment.

and since you are running trostani anyway, you might want to consider running garruk main deck.  Gaining 6 life and 2 3/3 beast tokens every turn seems pretty awesome.
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
Sign In to post comments