DotP Ipad Tournament #Five

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think we had a bit of success with the four previous ones even though one ended abruptly...and since Ipad #4 is a about a week from its conlusion I was thinking we can start at least cataloging the level of want for another one...here is what I am proposing...

Tournament Details:

League: Everyone plays everyone once and the top 2 players go at it for the championship if we have around 8 players, if there are more we can have the final four go at it once the smoke clears. This will be a best of 3 each round.
Teams: Anywhere from 8 to 16 players is preferabe. After 16 that makes the leage too long.  All the matches and deck choices will be posted on Challonge and listed here before the event begins so you can play anyone at any time and report the results. This GREATLY increases the speed and efficiency of the tournament.
Decks: I will be pre-pairing the deck matches. Everyone in round one will have the same decks. As an example see below:

Round 1 is Obedient Dead vs Celstial Light and Killabkilled is playing Mobiuschickenstrips.
Whoevers name comes up on the top of challonge bracket uses OD game one and the other player uses Celestual Light game one.
Game two the players switch their decks and game three, if necessary, they switch back again.

Benefits of this: we don't have to worry about "bad matchups", someone running GG and OD every other game and there will be a lot of strategy involved. You know what deck your opponent is using and he knows what you are using so how will you build/edit your deck to combat his/her deck? I think this removes a lot of the randomness from the game, makes it more competitive and allows for some VERY VERY solid games of magic. I know in a tournament when my opponent and I know one another's deck chocie the game is always very competitve...

Voting: we can vote on what the pairings should be or I will take advice on this.... For starters, I think this list below makes for some very competitive and balanced games of magic...

Round 1 OD vs SS
Round 2 ED vs AS
Round 3 OD vs CL
Round 4 AS vs CL
Round 5 MS vs CL
Round 6 AW vs SS
Round 7 CM vs PK
Round 8 GG vs BF
Round 9 CW vs AW

....these are subject to some revision/changes....What should Goblins/Crosswinds be paired up against? How about Chandra? What are some really good and competitive games you play deck vs deck? I think it would be nice to include every deck in there once too....that might make some mismatches though...

Reserved for Participants

-- Killabkilled.........  GCID killabkilled.............--- USA ESTime
-- Murod ................GCID Azelius .................--- GMT+1 Spain
-- Remus_Thirty .....GCID Remus Thirty..........--- USA ESTime
-- Reptyle  .............GCID psmoore................--- USA CSTime
-- Squinter  ............GCID Squinter................--- GMT +11 Australia
-- Lawsy2003..........GCID lawsy2003 pinoymtg---USA ESTime

Reserved for Challonge Bracket
I signed up for the 1st or 2nd tournament and couldn't go to the others because of the start of Med school. Was looking forward to finally being able to sign up to another one, so count me in!

Azelius - GMT+1 (Spain, Europe) 
I'd love to do this, unfortunately I'm only on the Xbox. If you're going to do Goblins, I would suggest either doing it in the mirror or against Chandra's deck. I don't think there are many other decks that have the speed to handle Goblins consistently enough for them to be fair.

I mean, I lost to a guy about 30 minutes ago and it was T1 Goblin Guide, T2 Warren Instigator, T3 Shocked my 2/2 blocker and dropped a Goblin Warchief and a Siege-gang Commander.

My point? If you're looking for fun, engaging games of Magic then just leave the Goblins out of it. JMHO.
I'd love to do this, unfortunately I'm only on the Xbox. If you're going to do Goblins, I would suggest either doing it in the mirror or against Chandra's deck. I don't think there are many other decks that have the speed to handle Goblins consistently enough for them to be fair.

I mean, I lost to a guy about 30 minutes ago and it was T1 Goblin Guide, T2 Warren Instigator, T3 Shocked my 2/2 blocker and dropped a Goblin Warchief and a Siege-gang Commander.

My point? If you're looking for fun, engaging games of Magic then just leave the Goblins out of it. JMHO.

Yeah, that is why Goblins isn't up there. But I think Goblins vs Chandra is a competitve match...I kind of favor Chandra here though....its almost a mismatch to me against goblins...what do you think? Well ,that is if you set the deck up right... I'll add it to the list for now...

Yeah, that is why Goblins isn't up there. But I think Goblins vs Chandra is a competitve match...I kind of favor Chandra here though....its almost a mismatch to me against goblins...what do you think? Well ,that is if you set the deck up right... I'll add it to the list for now...

I'm just saying thay if you feel compelled to include Goblins, either do it in the mirror or vs. another fast red deck. These types of games rarely devolve into tactical games, so it's mostly a matter of who drew the best opening hand. I'm not saying there isn't room for skillful play or clever deck construction, I just don't think it fits with your theme of solid, competitive games of Magic.
As far as Crosswinds goes, I always have interesting matches against Ancient Wilds with that one. The two decks can be very tactical and neither is fast enough to overwhelm the other. These are also my two favorite decks, so perhaps I'm biased, but I think this would be the best matchup of them all!
As far as Crosswinds goes, I always have interesting matches against Ancient Wilds with that one. The two decks can be very tactical and neither is fast enough to overwhelm the other. These are also my two favorite decks, so perhaps I'm biased, but I think this would be the best matchup of them all!

Yeva has answers for the mirror, CW has answers for the Portal..With a mirror out you don't have to worry about RoR...etc....good matchup....Adding it to the list!

Thx

The dilemma for me though is, do I go fliers build if I KNOW I am playing yeva? Grav shift, fav winds, Skywinders....etc...?? Interesting...
I'd like to get in!

Remus_Thirty, GCID Remus Thirty, USA EST

I like your idea for setting the match-ups in advance to promote interesting matches and specialized builds!
I'd like to get in!

Remus_Thirty, GCID Remus Thirty, USA EST

I like your idea for setting the match-ups in advance to promote interesting matches and specialized builds!

Yeah, seems different and challenging. If you have any suggestions on the match pairings fell free to chime in.  You too Murod.
I'd be willing to get beat in the tournament!! LOL

GC ID:  psmoore  CST Illinois
I'd be willing to get beat in the tournament!! LOL

GC ID:  psmoore  CST Illinois

Welcome aboard, sir
Sure, I'll play again. Aussie represent! AEDT (GMT +11)
gc id: lawsy2003 pinoymtg
(EST)

i suggest third game is up to each player which of the two decks to play so maybe we can see some mirror matchups, this makes it fair rather than switching back to the decks you played game1.
We are up to 6!
gc id: lawsy2003 pinoymtg
(EST)

i suggest third game is up to each player which of the two decks to play so maybe we can see some mirror matchups, this makes it fair rather than switching back to the decks you played game1.

This is fine with me, as long as people don't object to potential mirror matches....
Count me in. Gcid: amo1337.    US EST

Making the rounds for another one. US EST GCID: Shin Hitokiri
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
I'm willing to participate! GmT+7 :D
I believe that makes 9.....Lets tentatively set up a start up time next week on Mondayish...

Again, all matches and decks will be pre-posted so anyojne can play anyone at any time....

Give a few more days for a couple more arrivals and I will update the OP tonight....
Maybe for the third games of the rounds we could have the players decide one of the decks and force them to do a mirror matchup?  Recently I've been having a lot of fun playing long showdowns in SS vs SS and AW vs AW and I think it tests a player's decision making skills and fits into the "competitive" theme of this tournament.

Just a thought.
I'll play. My name is same as gcid
Sorry gonna pull out of this one. Work schedule getting too hectic and going away on holiday soon. Will check in for the next one Good luck to all
This torunament will be set to launch Wednesday...I will update everything Tuesday night by midnight, assuming I am not permabanned...just got back from a ban and another one is certainly imminent..
Im in.

Gamecenter ID: Miguel_Exe Time: Central México City, GMT -06:00 
Final Fantasy VII Sign By Miguel_Exe, =33
Is this tournament going to happen anymore?
Is this tournament going to happen anymore?

I expect that it will once the bracket goes up.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
I was serving a 3 day ban so this torunament was delayed a pinch....but yes it is still a go!
Any update?