DLCR: Armada Wurm

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays other RtR card to rate is...

Armada Wurm

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what pack.
4.5: First pick pack 1.
4.0: I will strongly consider playing this as the only card of its color.
3.5: I feel a strong pull into this card’s color.
3.0: This card makes me want to play this color.
2.5: Several cards of this power level start to pull me to this color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This card is very very good.  A lot better then it's Worldspine cousin since it's a lot cheaper.  This should be a very high pick generally first pick unless it's pack 3 and you aren't in either color.

Discuss! 

Though, irl, 5 bc my standard deck is GW beaters and I'd nab this asap.  

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

4.5 for me.
Another bomb card.

4.5, mostly because of the hard to cast nature, but 10 points of brute power where 3/3 is the average is punishing.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
Yeah... 10/10 of trample in one card is still a 4.5, even if it is difficult to cast.

Populate!

Did someone order a large ham?
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
4.5  Such a beating with Populate.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
This gets my respect as one of the best cards in the format. It's hard to deal with two giant threats late in the game, even if you are loaded up on removal. This puts just as much power on the board as Grave Titan did for the same price. There are some advantages and disadvantages. Trample, insane with populate, power distributed more evenly, trample. Less total bodies, no built in way to generate more bodies. Ultimately I think I actually like it more than Titan though, because with Titan if they could remove one threat you were left with a Moan of the Unhallowed. With this they still have a 5/5 with trample to deal with, which is a whole different Beast (or Wurm).
4.5  Such a beating with Populate.

I can't imagine that this guy is going to need populate very often.  You get 2 friggin 5/5s with trample.
First Card Pack 1: 4.5

First Card pack 2: 3.5

First card pack 3: 2.0

I like the power, I like power creatures. I also think everyone knoews that if you aren't in that color come pack 3, your not picking it.

I like the power, I like power creatures. I also think everyone knoews that if you aren't in that color come pack 3, your not picking it.

Sorry man, but no one is passing a bomb to their left pack 3, especially one as pricy as the wurm. Hate drafting is a thing.

Sorry man, but no one is passing a bomb to their left pack 3, especially one as pricy as the wurm. Hate drafting is a thing.

This is completely untrue. A lot of people (including myself) take good cards for their deck over bombs. But a bomb certainly will never table, hell, it probably won't make it past the first three drafters.

Also I can't wrap my head around these ratings DyasAlure keeps throwing into every thread. Why do cards get so much worse as time goes on?

This is completely untrue. A lot of people (including myself) take good cards for their deck over bombs. But a bomb certainly will never table, hell, it probably won't make it past the first three drafters.

Also I can't wrap my head around these ratings DyasAlure keeps throwing into every thread. Why do cards get so much worse as time goes on?

He's trying to account for color commitment. It does have CCCC in it's cost. I'm not certain if it is always worth attempting.

In what scenario would you draft an uncommon/common over this card in pack 3? I was deep into Azorius pack 1, saw this pack 2 and switched my blue to splash. I'm not counting those rare instances of mythic rare and rare/mythic foil packs. Usually by pack 3 I'm looking for a few cards, fixings and filler, not an "it" pick 1 non-mythic rare.

And also, after playing this last night, I sure as hell don't want to play against it. But maybe I'm more invested into hate drafting than most. 

If I'm Rakdos and there's a Bloodfray Giant I don't see why I would ever take the Wurm if it was a raredraft and I was sane. I could take a card that is substantially powerful in my deck, or a card I won't play at all.

@Bobus:
Seems like a weird way to rate. I rate the opposite way regarding color commitment. Something that commits you to colors is just a worse overall card because it commits you to colors, it isn't a worse card because you can't play it if you see it pack three. I'm not going to give Aether Adept a 1.0 because I might not be playing blue pack three, that just seems silly.