Brand new player...black/blue deck?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello! I'm about as new to the game as you can get, and I bought a Deckbuilder's Toolkit at my local comic shop's recommendation (so I don't have a lot of multiples yet). I've just built my first deck, which is black/blue, and I was wondering if it was any good? Or even a good basis for something better? Although if my Pokemon deckbuilding "skills" are anything to go buy, this'll probably suck lol.

I'm not looking for anything super-competetive here, just for some FNM or casual games. What do you think I should keep/replace/etc? Thanks!

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/8102856493/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

Ow...My brain...lol, just kidding. I know you say you don't have many multiples yet so I understand where this deck is. But it needs some substantial work. One of the most important parts of making a standard deck work is making sure each piece has a function that helps every other piece and never hinders it. Take a look at some of the generic archetypes that are available, Aggro (throwing creatures as fast as possible at your opponent) Control (Counters and burn to control your opponent's play on your terms all while using crafty means of dealing damage to win), Ramp (using spells that allow you to get mana out faster than your opponent so you can play big creatures fast). With what you have there it looks like you want to play sort of a mid-range aggro deck. I'll let you respond with what your interested in making before I make any real suggestions because I'd be taking a shot in the dark. But as it is, it goes in to many directions.

LOL thanks for the honest-but-not-too-harsh response. xD I think mid-range aggro is more what I'm looking for.

The deck as it is is going to be very inconsistant because of all the 1-ofs.

First thing you'll want to do is find out what you like and bump those numbers while cutting down on the cards that aren't pulling their weight.

There are a lot of ways you could go with it.  But it really depends on how you want it to play out.

For a mid-range aggro deck you really want some nice beefy 4 or 5 cost creatures that once you drop give you a strong game plan.  However, right now your lacking in creatures like that.

You might be better off running a bunch of cheap 1 to 3 cost creatures and backing them up with Unsummons/Mind Rots effects to try to disrupt the other guys game plan while you beat face. 
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Ok, so lets take your best cards- Vampire Nighthawk Duskmantle Prowler Lone Revenent Invisible Stalker Knight of Infamy

Lone Revenent isn't a terrible card based on the Vannilla Test (Mana Cost vs Power/Toughness) but with an aggro deck you will hopefully have more than just him out turn 5 so most likely you wont take use of his ability. One of my favorite fun inexpensive standard decks in black blue splashes a bit of green and basically works around dropping Tormented Souls and Invisible Stalkers and dropping enchantments and equipment on them. Take for example: 

Turn 1- Silver-Inlaid Dagger 
Turn 2- Invisible Stalker 
Turn 3- Equip, Giant Growth, Swing for 7
Turn 4- Increasing Savagery Swing for 9
Turn 5- Dark Favor Swing for the win
Now that doesn't account for using removal and other spells that will inevitably need to be played to keep you alive but it's still fun. 
I think we should avoid 3 color unless he wants to start dropping some cash for some non-basics so he could actually curve out like that.

Also, while you example includes a guy with Hexproof, Enchantments tend to be risky as a fair amount of the time it ends up with you down 2 cards (your creature + the enchantment) to their 1 (their kill spell) before the enchantment can resolve.

You don't need to goldfish a turn 5 win, you just need to have a decent creature in play for a few turns while you keep them the other deck struggling to maintain board presense. 
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
Man, I really don't have much to work with yet, even though I have 330 cards..I have several really good cards, but there's only one of each, they're all different colors, and they're high cost. :/ Although your advice is still valuable, thanks!

Ok, so until I can get more cards, I figured maybe I could focus mostly on creatures/spells that have the same/similar effects? (Of course there's still not many multiples, but maybe having more of the same sort of attacks would help counter-balance that.)

You might just want to go out and buy an intro pack to use asa deck shell. That's how I started building decks. Between what you have and which ever deck you buy you could probably manage a decent looking list. Check out the ones out online and pick up the one that looks most fun to you.
My Decks
You might just want to go out and buy an intro pack to use asa deck shell. That's how I started building decks. Between what you have and which ever deck you buy you could probably manage a decent looking list. Check out the ones out online and pick up the one that looks most fun to you.

I wouldn't suggest intro packs. The new event decks for Ravnica are about to come out so if you suggest he should buy a deck as a shell. I suggest one of those 2 new event decks.

IMAGE(http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r552/Lambadelta/Rachel.jpg)

The Event Decks while superior to Intro Packs are a bit more limiting. There's only 2 of them but there are many different "flavors" of the Intros.
My Decks
anything is better than building a deck with one of those toolbox things

those toolbox... deckbuilding kit pack things, they always seem really bad in that the decks that people post after buying one of them are pretty crappy.  nothing against the posters, but you really cannot honestly build a real deck from what they give you.

you're better off realizing that this game requires a decent initial investment and then you can't "really" play   

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Yeah, I was thinking about those intro packs. I've heard the Relentless Dead one is pretty decent?

If you're serious about getting into Magic, I would highly recommend buying one of the new Return to Ravinca Event Decks and building off of them. Sure they cost a little more ($20), but they are much better than the intro decks in my opinion. Use what you pop from boosters and trades to strengthen it. 

A great way to increase your card pool is by attending draft night at your local store. It costs a few bucks to enter ($12 at my store),  but you get access to more cards and gets you playing some games. Don't worry if you win, drafting is hard and takes a lot of practice. For now, work on understand the game and developing your skills. Use the cards you pick up from drafting to trade and/or use in the deck you are building. Attending FNM is also a blast and if you do well enough, gets you some loot!

This is what I did. It takes time. Lots of time. But if you stick with it and enjoy it, you'll get there!
Sign In to post comments