Tribal Question

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I control Cloak and Dagger and March of the Machines. My opponent casts Turn to Frog on the Cloak, then destroys the March. Until end of turn, will the Cloak be:

- a Tribal Artifact - Frog Rogue Equipment;
- a Tribal Artifact - Frog Equipment; or
- a Creature - Frog?
Rules Advisor
****ing layers :D

I think it will be a blue Tribal Artifact - Frog Equipment
it does not have its trigger, it does not have the equip ability and if it is somehow equipped will do nothing to the equipped creature
proud member of the 2011 community team
Enigma's correct; it'll be a blue Tribal Artifact - Frog Equipment with no abilities.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Thanks guys!
Rules Advisor
...if it is somehow equipped...

March turned it into a creature: it cannot have been equipping anything... but it can become equipped!

that's what the "somehow" implied
it would have fallen off when it became a creature, but after it turned back into a non-creature there are ways to equip it, despite not having the equip ability
proud member of the 2011 community team
The layering is not that hard this time:

Frog applied to Cloak, thanks to March. Because it did apply, it will continue to apply, even when March leaves, thanks to rule 611.2c. We can actually forget about March, so we're left with a Cloak affected by Frog.

So what does Frog do, exactly?
1) Remove any previous creature subtype (Rogue) and replace with Frog (layer 4)
2) Remove any previous color and make it blue (layer 5)
3) Remove all abilities (layer 6)
4) Make its P/T = 1/1 (layer 7b, but irrelevant since March is gone)

Quite simple actually!

Rule 611.2c
611.2c If a continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability modifies the characteristics or changes the controller of any objects, the set of objects it affects is determined when that continuous effect begins. After that point, the set won’t change. (Note that this works differently than a continuous effect from a static ability.) A continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability that doesn’t modify the characteristics or change the controller of any objects modifies the rules of the game, so it can affect objects that weren’t affected when that continuous effect began.

The crux of my question was whether or not Turn to Frog's effect caused Cloak and Dagger to remain a creature after the March left. As I should have expected, cards do only what they say and no more (usually).
Rules Advisor