Jund? Bant? Etc? What is this?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've read a lot of decklists both here and in the Standard Deck subforums and I see a lot of recurring descriptors that simply make no sense to me. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I figured if this is a deckbuilding subforum, somebody building these types of decks could help me out.

The two most common terms I've seen that just baffle me because I can't figure out what they mean are Jund and Bant. What are those? Also, I figure if anybody else has questions about what other terms mean they could probably ask and hopefully find out here as well.
Jund and Bant are two of the three color shards from the Shards of Alara block. Jund is and Bant is . You could argue about what a Jund or a Bant deck is, but generally it is a midrange or "goodstuff" deck in the respective colors. Sometimes it is just used as a color qualifier though like "Jund Suicide", that would just mean that it is a colored Suicide deck.

The original Jund deck in Standard played the aggressive Putrid Leech, value creatures like Sprouting Thrinax and Bloodbraid Elf, prime removal like Terminate and Maelstrom Pulse, and burn like Lightning Bolt and Blightning. It's mana base was slow (lots of lands that came into play tapped), but it was very effective across the board since it could apply pressure easily, disrupt its opponent, and get value in the long game.

The original Bant deck wasn't actually called Bant, but Mythic. In ran a crap load of ramp creatures, using the very powerful Noble Hierarch and Lotus Cobra, and sometimes Birds of Paradise as well. It played some really backbreaking three drops like Knight Of The Reliquary and Rhox War Monk, as well as some high end threats that it could ramp out quickly like Baneslayer Angel. It had some strong white removal at its disposal like Path to Exile and Oblivion Ring. From Worldwake the deck got both Jace, the Mind Sculptor and man lands like Celestial Colonnade and Stirring Wildwood. When Rise of Eldrazi was released a new version of the deck started getting play called Mythic Conscription. The deck had the same basic shell but would use Sovereigns of Lost Alara to tutor up an Eldrazi Conscription and throw it on a creature like Birds.