Seance/Fiendhunter/Rootborn Defense Interaction.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I Seance my Fiend Hunter then target opponent's creature for exile (trigger), and respond with Rootborn Defense copying my token of Fiendhunter which then enters the battelfied targetting my first Fiendhunter token, will I exile their creature forever?

____ You won't always win playing Pestilence, but you'll always have fun. ____ 13 is the new 6. ____
Yes that works. Also the token created by Rootborn Defense is a Spirit, but it will not be exiled at the beginning of the next end step.

Seance
Fiend Hunter
yes

also your exiled fiendhunter token will cease to exist, it can never return to the battlefield
proud member of the 2011 community team
Doesn't exiling your first fiend hunter token trigger it's "leave's the battlefield" condition returning your opponents creature?  Why doesn't it?
It doesn't return the opponent's creature because that creature hasn't been exiled yet. The main trick here is to manipulate events so that Fiend Hunter's leaves-the-battlefield ability triggers before its enters-the-battlefield trigger resolves.
Doesn't exiling your first fiend hunter token trigger it's "leave's the battlefield" condition?

yes
returning your opponents creature?

no
Why doesn't it?

because the first trigger hasn't even exiled anything yet when the second trigger resolves

the key point is that he uses the spell in response to the exile trigger, if he had let that trigger resolve first, then it would return it

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

So this would work similarly if you oblivion ring an oblivion ring you just cast?

if I understand the mechanic at work.
indeed, that'd work (assumining you could cast a Ring in response - which you couldn't normally do)

but you could just destroy (or bounce or blink or exile) the Oblivion Ring before it exiles the permanent (say with Naturalize) and achieve the same thing

eg.
1) cast Oblivion Ring
2) let it resolve and it enters the field triggering its enter the field trigger
3) you choose a target for the EtB trigger putting it on the stack
4) you cast Naturalize targeting the Oblivion Ring
5) Naturalize resolves destroying Ring and triggering its leaves the field trigger
6) its LtB trigger resolves returning nothing
7) its EtB trigger resolves permanently exiling the targeted permanent

My personal favourite is Sundial of the Infinite + Sudden Disappearance to exile his stuff permanently. 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Provided you could give the Oblivion Ring flash.
Sign In to post comments