Intrepid Hero, Ring of Evos Isle, and the stack?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please help me understand the how the stack works.  My brother has out Intrepid Hero, I have a Ring of Evos Isle on the field.  I want to summon my Elderscale Wurm and equip and activate the ring.  Could somebody explain the stack process and whether my wurm is able to survive?
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
you cast Elderscale Wurm and it resolves
you get priority again to equip Ring of Evos Isle
in response to this your brother will most likely use Intrepid Hero and you got nothing to stop it

your brother can also wait for the Equip abilitiy to resolve (tactical error on his part)
in that case you do have the opportunity to stop his Intrepid Hero by giving your Wurm Hexproof

if your life total is less than 7 it will become 7 in any case
proud member of the 2011 community team
Ok after he triggers his Intrepid Hero am I still able to activate the ring and put it on the stack?
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Ok after he triggers his Intrepid Hero am I still able to activate the ring and put it on the stack?

generally no
but there are cards that allow you to do that
Sorry I'm still a little confused.  What actually ends the stack?
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
nothing ends the stack, it is always there

not sure I understand your question
I guess I figured by me activating the rings hexproof it would be on the top of the stack making my wurm an illegal target.

And I'm not arguing with you I'm just trying to learn.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
the ability does nothing until it actually resolves
so your brother is welcome to use his Intrepid Hero in response to you activating the ring's ability

however, for you to activate the ability it has to actually be equipped*, yet another opportunity for your brother to use his Intrepid Hero

*not strictly true, it just won't do anything unless it is equipped
The probelm is he destroys the wurm before the Ring is equipped.

The equip ability has a restriction on timing (only when the stack is empty) so you can not respond to the intrepid hero's ability by equipping again.
MTG Rules Advisor
Ok, thank you for explaining it to me.  I'm still learning and everybody who has answered my questions on this forum have been really great.  Thanks again.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
feel free to ask anything if something is unclear
and don't take our nitpicking for rudeness or trying to start a fight ;)
Magicese is a precise "language", so we like to be precise
note: there are cards that can equip equipment when you could cast an instant

Leonin Shikari
Quest for the Holy Relic
Brass Squire

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

I'm running a blue/green deck based on defenders and getting Primordial Hydra and Elderscale Wurm out asap.  But I'm having problems with my brother's white soldier deck led by Odric, Master Tactician and Intrepid Hero.  I tried running Ring of Evos Isle but that fell through as you guys have shown me. 

Any suggestions?  I know of Encrust and Paralyzing Grasp.  I could use those but I'd have to bait his Intrepid Hero and still lose a heavy.

If it would help I'll post my deck, but it would probably be better to post that in a different thread.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
best to ask that in "cards and combos" or "standard decks" below

run some Prey Upon or Ulvenwald Tracker to permanently take out his threats
your creatures should be bigger, so it is basically a Doom Blade
if he already has a non-summoning sick Intrepid Hero out best to use it in response to the Hero's ability
Ring of Evos Isle is a fine solution as long as you are able to get it equipped.  As an interim you may consider cards like Ranger's Guile that can give hexproof in response to Intrepid Hero, giving you an opportunity to equip or Brass Squire to allow you to attach the equipment in response.  Also, the removal mentioned like Prey Upon and Ulvenwald Tracker are fine, as would be something like Beast Within in a deck like yours.

Also, Asceticism gives your creatures hexproof, but white is the colour of Disenchants.

Cheers
Sign In to post comments