How does burst and blast attacks work in flying combat?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi, I wonder how burst- and blast attacks work in flying combat. I'm planning to let my players encounter a dragon and was going to let it use it's breath attacks while airborne.
In 3D i find it help if you view squares as cubes. If you play with airborne it means you'g going 3D and as such, it is generally accepted that Close Burst 1 extend from you in all direction for exemple, including squares at altitude 1 and Close Blast 1 can be directed from your space extending upward up to altitude 3. Finally Area Burst 1 affect 9 squares at any altitude within its range for exemple. Number of squareswill increase if Area of Effects are bigger.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

That. Everything in 4e is cubic. A large monster is a 2x2x2 cube. A medium/small one is a 1x1x1 cube. A 3x3 close blast is a 3x3x3 cube. etc.
It's worth keeping this in mind for regular '2D' ground-level combat, too. For instance, a spellcaster flanked by two Large or larger opponents could fire his close blast attack directly above his head, catching both opponents in the blast whilst leaving himself (and any Medium-sized allies in the area) untouched.
From the forum FAQ, if desired for reference:
'How do area effects function in a 3-D environment? Since vertical distances are measured the same as horizontal distances, they take on a cube shape. Discussed in the 5/10/10 podcast.'

'What area do creatures occupy in a 3-D environment? A cube. RC p.200 says "A creature's space is the area, measured in squares, that the creature  occupies on the battle grid. This area represents the three-dimensional space that the creature needs to take part in an encounter, allowing it to turn around attack, fall prone, and so on. Despite the cubic shape of its space, a creature is not actually a cube (unless it's a gelatinous cube)".  Also, the 5/10/10 podcast states that medium (and small) characters occupy a 5'x5'x5' square regardless of their actual height.'