multiple resistances

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I have resist 5 necrotic and resist 5 untyped (necrotic is from an item and the untyped is from a power if that makes a difference).  What happens if I take 10 necrotic damage ?  Do I take 0 in the end because I reduce the damage by 5, then by another 5 ?  Do the resistances stack against this damage since they come from different sources ? 

I can't remember how this works and it came up at the table I DM.  I ruled in the favor of the player, so that they did stack, since they were from different sources and different types of resistance.  But it's been bugging me    Thanks for the help.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I don't know if any Resist 5 untyped exist since Resistance is against specific damage type. Sure its not Resist 5 all ?

Regardless, If you take 10 necrotic damage while having Resist 5 necrotic and Resist 5 untyped, you will take 5 damage total since the Resistance to untyped damage won't be solicited since no untyped damage is dealt, only necrotic damage.

Resistance: Resistance means a creature takes less damage from a specific damage type.

Not Cumulative: Resistances against the same damage type are not cumulative. Only the highest resistance applies.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

sorry yes I meant resist 5 all haha.  So then they still would not stack ?  If it was resist 5 necrotic and resist 6 all, I would only prevent 6 of the 10 damage ?  And going back to the original example, since both resistances are of equal amounts, it makes no difference since only 5 damage is prevented either way (they dont stack and only one can be chosen to reduce damage ?).  Is that right ?
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

If it was resist 5 necrotic and resist 6 all, I would only prevent 6 of the 10 damage ?

Correct.