Character Builder Armor Class Calculation

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am not sure if there is an error in the character builder or if I am missing a rule that explains it, but my armor class seems to be calculated incorrectly.

I have a level 4 ardent, who just got Heroic Chain +2

By my calculations I should have an AC of 20:

10 +
2 (half level) +
6 (chain) +
2 (Enhancement)

by experimenting, I can see that the Heroic armor is improving my AC by 9, rather than 8.  I tried with Heroic Armor +1 and it improved it by the expected amount (7)

Any insight on this? 
The +2 armor is masterwork and provides a higher AC bonus.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
The +2 armor is masterwork and provides a higher AC bonus.

Which book references this (for my own knowledge) as all I have seen are the different armor types in the PHB(for +4 and +6 enhancements)
Masterwork armors were introduced in Adventurer's Vault, they put some non-metal versions in the Dark Sun campaign book, and the masterwork benefits just plain got rolled up into the default stats in the 2 essentials Heroes books.

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

Masterwork armors were introduced in Adventurer's Vault, they put some non-metal versions in the Dark Sun campaign book, and the masterwork benefits just plain got rolled up into the default stats in the 2 essentials Heroes books.

Masterwork was in the PHB actually, AV introduced new ones that smoothed out the curve.

Which book references this (for my own knowledge) as all I have seen are the different armor types in the PHB(for +4 and +6 enhancements)

The +2 armor provides a higher ARMOR bonus to AC due to it being a certain level of magic armor.  The enhancement bonus is still +2, of course.  As far as the Essentials line is concerned, masterwork armor doesn't even exist.  But the masterwork armor types from PHB and AV are still there, of course, only NOT ALL OF THEM adhere exactly to the new armor bonus tables.  There are some exceptions which make certain masterwork types better than others, and some that have a LOWER armor bonus than expected in exchange for some other benefit.

As far as I know, the only place you'll find armor/enhancement/total AC tables are in the two "Heroes Of..." books.  It's the same table in both books.

IOW, you won't find all the RULES in D&D Insider, just all the game elements.  I think in this case, though, it's something that should be published somewhere in the Compendium or something, because it's a very common question about a thing that changed that just about everyone runs into at one point or another. 

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Q: Isn't worth a sticky - just for this question?

Heroes of the fallen lands p 344 has handy table - in PHB - master work comes in with +4 heavy enchantment armor gaining +3 master work - they have smoothed this progression out - gaining none at +1, one master work bonus at +2, 2 masterwork at +3, 3 mastwork at +4, 4 master work at +5, 6 masterwork (note jump) at +6 - for light armors zero masterwork 1, 2, 3 , one masterwork at +4 +5 enchantment, and 2 master work at +6 - - note also form Modekains magnificant emporiaum - elven chain shirts +1 +2 +3 which can be worn under light armors.