my first RTR draft

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
...and my 3-0 streak continues. (6-2)  Opened an Ash Zealot and delved into Rakdos despite my neighbor (I learned after the draft) starting into Rakdos because of opening Dreadbore.  My second pack had a foil Mana Bloom and Precinct Captain, but I had an Annihilating Fire for me.  Third pack opened a gift in Underworld Connections.  My MVP had to be Lobber Crew though.  Prevented a decent counterattack while pinging for one or two a turn and bringing my opponent down into burn range. 

The Deck

1 Underworld Connections
Auger Spree
1 Stab Wound
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Explosive Impact
1 Rakdos Charm
1 Street Spasm
1 Rakdos Keyrune
1 Ash Zealot
2 Grim Roustabout
1 Gore-house Chainwalker (Never saw this)
1 Bloodfray Giant
1 Drainpipe Vermin
1 Lobber Crew
1 Perilous Shadow
1 Rakdos Ragemutt
1 Spawn of Rix Maadi
Splatter Thug
1 Tavern Swindler
1 Viashino Racketeer
1 Golgari Longlegs

1 Rakdos Guildgate
1 Transguild Promenade
8 Mountain
7 Swamp

Beat 2 Azorius decks in rounds 2 (Archon) and 3 (Angel of Serenity and Precinct Captain) that I really had no business beating, especially round 2 as my opponent made a key play mistake that allowed me to win, but the deck was fun to play.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Why are you playing Drainpipe Vermin? It seems a lot worse than anything else in there. I'd play land number 18 over it.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Why are you playing Drainpipe Vermin? It seems a lot worse than anything else in there. I'd play land number 18 over it.

Because I wasn't comfortable playing 15 creatures (including the Keyrune) in Rakdos.  It nabbed a card in a chumpblock against Selesnya, and I didn't see it after.  If I had another creature, I'd have played that instead.  I don't really like it, but I really had no other creatures.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Figured I'd just add to this thread rather than make another.  Drafted last night and started with a pretty unexciting pack and took Sphinx of the Chimes.  Received a Thoughtflare in the second pack and drafted Izzet through most of the two packs as it seemed to be open, only slipping a little into Azorius or Rakdos when nothing else presented itself.  Opened Dreadbore in the third pack and decided with a Guildgate already to venture into black.  Got 2 Launch Party in the third run through.  Here's the deck:

2 Annihilating Fire
1 Batterhorn
1 Dreadbore
1 Faerie Imposter
1 Frostburn Weird
1 Goblin Electromancer
1 Goblin Rally
1 Guttersnipe
1 Hellhole Flailer
1 Izzet Keyrune
2 Launch Party
2 Lobber Crew
1 Nivmagus Elemental
2 Rakdos Cackler
1 Spawn of Rix Maadi
1 Sphinx of the Chimes
1 Teleportal
1 Tenement Crasher
1 Thoughtflare

1 Izzet Guildgate
1 Rakdos Guildgate
3 Swamp
6 Island
6 Mountain

Ended up going 2-1 (5-4) with it.  Round one was a straight Golgari deck with Deathrite Shaman and Volatile Rig.  Won 2-1 but made some really bad play mistakes in the match, including mistaking the Rig's "dies" ability, and probably should have lost.  Round 2 was against a W/G/U Populate/Stompy type deck with Phantom General, Loxodon Smiter and Supreme Verdict for backup.  Barely squeaked out a 2-1 win against it with the Sphinx.  (It really helped that my opp did not miss a land drop in either game two or three)  Round 3 I was paired down (we had nine drafters) against a G/R/B/w deck that splashed the white for Collective Blessing which is an absolute BEATING.  I mulliganed a 6 land hand with no mountains and 1 red card into a second no land mulligan and kept 5 and pulled it off by Launching a Stab Wounded Crew at my opp's only blocker and swung across with Tenement Crasher and Batterhorn for exactly lethal.  Game 2 was a close one but he pulled it out.  Game 3 was probably a mistake on my part.  I kept a hand with two lands (A swamp and Island) with a Cackler in hand but 4 other spells I couldn't cast unless I drew another land (and one that I needed double red for).  I should have mulliganed.  But I was really worried about dropping to five.  It bit me as I stalled on land for two turns, and my next land was another Swamp.  I managed to survive a Blessing dropped into play.  I nearly pulled off the game by drawing into Mountains and getting Guttersnipe on the table, but he got to his black and dropped Dreg Mangler into play.  Had it been any non-haste creature instead, I drop to 1 and kill him with back to back Fires backed by Snipe triggers, but he survived on 1 life instead.  If I mulligan I have a better chance of getting a better mana draw and maybe I punish his slow draw in that game.

I was actually pleased with the deck, if not my play with it, though I think I may have misbuilt it a little.  Originally, I mainly played Nivmagus because I wanted an early drop to go with Imposter along with the two Cacklers.  In hindsight, I probably should have played Viashino Racketeer instead.  My other concern was that I had three cards in my board that I wanted to play but couldn't make room for (2 Essence Backlash and a Pursuit of Flight)

191752181 wrote:
I don't think Nivmagus is playable in Limited (or at least I wouldn't want to play him).  I would have dropped this for an Essence Backlash.

In your first draft, I don't think Vermin should be in the deck and neither would I ever start with Rakdos Charm.

Hoping to do my first draft tonight so will feed back with my results.
I don't think Nivmagus is playable in Limited (or at least I wouldn't want to play him).  I would have dropped this for an Essence Backlash.

In your first draft, I don't think Vermin should be in the deck and neither would I ever start with Rakdos Charm.

Hoping to do my first draft tonight so will feed back with my results.

In the first draft, Rakdos Charm was my finisher.  I won four games off it after my early pressure shredded my opponent's life total.

I admit Nivmagus was a mistake, but I wanted a creature there and I think the Racketeer is more important for both draw and body than the Backlash, but I could be wrong.

191752181 wrote: