DLCR: Archon of Triumvirate

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays final RtR card to rate is...

Archon of the Triumvirate

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what pack.
4.5: First pick pack 1.
4.0: I will strongly consider playing this as the only card of its color.
3.5: I feel a strong pull into this card’s color.
3.0: This card makes me want to play this color.
2.5: Several cards of this power level start to pull me to this color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This guy is pretty beastly.  I will admit whenever the Azorius player got this guy down at the prerelease I often lost.  He is spendy but he more then makes up for it.

Discuss!

Bombs are bombs.

Been killed to this thing in my last draft, if this guy gets to swing you've pretty well lost.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
And people thought this was overcosted before the prerelease?  Singlehandedly won me many games there.  I almost want to go 5 simply because I don't want to play against it.  4.75 

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
I like the big guys that let you attack without having to worry about a counterattack. He's seven mana without immediate impact, but definitely worth it in every Azorius deck. Worse than Angel of Serenity though.
4.5. I won a game where my opponent had this out at the prerelease. It was not easy.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
4.5 for me

@sleeping - that's why in my azorious deck I had both this and Angel.  Game plan was simple, get to 7 mana, win!
4.5 seems right here.
4.5. I won a game where my opponent had this out at the prerelease. It was not easy.

i almost lost a game after having two down at once (thanks, cyclonic rift). it was an amazing game. 4.5 from me too, it's a shame the body isn't particularly large though. could be better than 4/5.
4.0.  I appreciate the power level, but am not excited about paying 7 mana.
B+ / A-
It's one of the best guys you can hope for, which is tough to say about a lot of seven drops. This guy is just that good. 
It's simple:  if this lives, you don't.

It's a solid bomb, and my only complaints are that it costs 7 and dies to removal.  On the other hand, the only C/U removal I can think of that gets it is arrest, avenging arrow, selesnya charm, and aerial predation.  I'm not counting bounce.

Assassin's Strike
Launch Party
Explosive Impact

Selesnya Charm won't work without something else going on.

Cheers

Selesnya Charm won't work without something else going on.

Cheers

? This has power 5. Are you saying in general?

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

catowner mentioned Selesnya Charm as Uncommon removal that gets it.  I was saying that Selesnya Charm won't get it unless it gets a power boost from something.

Cheers

catowner mentioned Selesnya Charm as Uncommon removal that gets it.  I was saying that Selesnya Charm won't get it unless it gets a power boost from something.

Cheers

For some reason I thought it had power 5. I don't know why but when I hover over linked cards half of them show up really tiny and sometimes I'm too lazy to click it to verify. My bad!

Two Selesnya Charm would work.

Chapter One of "Sleeping's Guide to Getting Your Opponent to Say 'Really? Really?? REALLY???'"

For some reason I thought it had power 5. I don't know why but when I hover over linked cards half of them show up really tiny and sometimes I'm too lazy to click it to verify. My bad!

Haha, yea.  I kept thinking it was a 5/6, but I gave it a second look when I thought of Explosive Impact and saw it was a 4/5 so I mentioned that Selesnya Charm wouldn't work.  Then I was lying in bed and I suddenly thought 'or was it a 5/4 and I read it wrong?  Then Selesnya Charm would be fine...' lol.  This card has been on my mind a lot for some reason!

I think the cards show up tiny when you're replying in a thread, it happens to me too, but when I'm reading normally they show up big.

Cheers
I'm in the midst of playing an MTGO prerelease, and i pulled this guy, I've had him out 3 out of 4 games and he died immediately after playing him lol, firstly to Dreadbore then to Launch Party, and thirdly a combination of Auger Spree and Izzet StaticasterCry. I don't think he's bad I just haven't had a chance to use him lol. I played against him in the real life prerelease and he dominated that game. I'd give him 4.0. But that may go up to 4.5 if he actually sticks around for an attack step lol.
I lost to this in a prelease game 2 and then subbed in Aerial Predation to win game 3. I think it has to be worth 4.5 objectively though, once it attacks it's a bit like double removal attached to a 4/5 flyer.

Chapter One of "Sleeping's Guide to Getting Your Opponent to Say 'Really? Really?? REALLY???'"

I've had that official reaction twice.  Once in limited, where I used a Battleflight Eagle to give my opponent's Xathrid Gorgon the effect so I could kill it with Intrepid Hero (After he finally got rid of my Rancor Engine(tm)).

And once in constructed where I was playing Standard playing R/G Land destruction against Tooth and Nail.  Game 2 used some early LD out but could not draw a threat.  My opp finally cast Tooth and dropped two Darksteel Colossus, expecting to win next turn.  I untapped, drew and tapped 8 and dropped Insurrection on the table.  He followed up the "REALLY???" with "Who the hell plays this card?"

(Is it bad I really love playing cards that get this reaction?)

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Gotta say 4.5  Used it in Pre-release to great effect and single handedly won matches.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)