1843 (Mono Black Discard Disruption)

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
                                               1843 (Mono Black Discard Disruption)

Introduction

I have been creating this deck a while now and I feel it still needs some work but I'm liking how it's looking so far. The premise of the deck is to disrupt your opponent's hand and board with a low converted mana cost creatures and spells until you defeat your opponent with one of the win conditions. I call the deck 1843 in refrence to the Disruption of 1843 (because it's a disruption deck, and yes, I'm a clever history nerd). 1843 is a solid budget friendly kitchen table deck that is designed for playing against a single opponent. 

Card Choices

These are your verstile discard spells. Hypnotic Specter is probably the best discard creature ever printed and is a terrifying threat early game. It deals decent damage, has evasion and causes random discard. Ravenous Rats not only forces the opponent to discard  but also can act as a chump blocker is necssary. Smallpox is an amazing disruption spell that hurts your opponent much more than you, particuarly because this deck needs no more than 3 lands to function. Smallpox also functions as a removal spell, but we will discuss those later.

These are your straight discard spells. They need little introduction, are incredibly powerful and are arguably the greatest discard spells ever printed. Duress is a solid turn one play that can elminate pesky counters along with enchantment and artifact spells black has trouble removing once they hit the board. Hymn To Tourach is just absurd and frankly never should have been printed. Turn one Duress followed by Hymn to Tourach via Dark Ritual is a devastating blow to an opponent, particuarly if Hymn to Tourach hits land.

These are your primary creature removal spells. Go For The Throat hits almost everything at instant speed but it's a meta call. If your play group has a lot of artifacts try Doom Blade. Ultimate Price is a new friend that Return to Ravnica brought us that works really well outside of standard. Murder hits everything but I wouldn't recommend it because of the higher convered mana cost. Geth's Verdict is one of my favorite edict cards, it gets around things like that sole White Knight on the battlefield and the 1 life it forces your opponent to lose adds up. 

Phyrexian Arena is your draw engine. It is one of the best draw engines ever printed, and is certainly the best budget friendly one. It is your best friend. Drawing two cards every turn is insane and makes it much easier to get to your win conditions. Other options are Dark Tutelage and Underworld Connections but they are inferior for 1843. The former I actually think is quite underrated (a more sturdy Dark Confidant), particuarly in this deck because the mana curve is so low. Underworld Connections is a new friend from Return To Ravnica that is better later game (it does allow you to draw a card the turn you play it). 

These are your primary win conditions. While Hypnotic Specter can win games for you, the majority of the time, these two spells will lead to your victory. The Rack agressively eats away at your opponent's life turn after turn (especially when there is more than one on the battlefield) and can be played very early. Nyxathid is incredibly underrated and really is just silly how powerful it can be even early in the game.

No really fancy land tricks here, Swamps work fine. However, Dark Ritual is essential. As mentioned earlier it can lead to first turns that are incredibly powerful. Examples include turn one Phyrexian Arena, turn one Hypnotic Specter, turn one The Rack and Hymn To Tourach and my personal favorite Duress followed by Hymn to Tourach. Strip Mine is another card that shouldn't have been printed. It's easily one of the best disruption spells, especially when played early. Remember though, in you can only run one.

The Deck

Verstile Discard (12)
4x Hypnotic Specter
4x Ravenous Rats
4x Smallpox
Straight Discard (8)
4x Duress
4x Hymn to Tourach
Creature Removal (8)
4x Go for the Throat
4x Geth's Verdict
Card Advantage (3)
3x Phyrexian Arena
Win Conditions (6)
4x The Rack
2x Nyxathid
Land/Mana (23)
18x Swamp
1x Strip Mine
4x Dark Ritual

I plan on adding an additional section on match-ups, so please do not hestitate to state what decks would perform poorly against this deck along with which decks would have an upper hand.

Thanks for taking the time to read over my deck. I'm free to answer any questions about the deck and I strongly encourage them, I would also love to hear any feedback or alternative options for the deck.

I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
I don't much like SmallPox here, since it doesn't have any synergystic interactions - I'd consider something like Innocent Blood instead.

I'd rather play Rotting Rats than Ravenous Rats - sure the Discard hits you too, but you can make them Discard twice. Rotting Rats is also easy to sacrifice to Innocent Blood.

I don't like the 19 Lands here - I'd go up to something like 22. I'd consider 1 or 2 Bojuka Bog MD to deal with graveyard/discard shennanigans by your opponent. I don't feel like you need 3 playsets of different forms of Removal ( SmallPox, Go For The Throat and Geth's Verdict ) so they woud be my first choice for cuts.

I don't much like Nyxathid since it's situational and doesn't have any Evasion and/or Protection from Removal. Geralf's Messenger would be ideal here - since it can be Dark Ritualed out T1 and doesn't much mind being hit with Innocent Blood. TombStalker is another cute option - it has Evasion, and it costs less and less as the game goes on. Alternatively, Massacre Wurm and Grave Titan are cheap nowadays.

So:

- 4 SmallPox
+ 4 Innocent Blood

- 4 Ravenous Rats
+ 4 Rotting Rats

- 4 Geth's Verdict
+ 1 Swamp
+ 2 Bojuka Bog
+ 1 Phyrexian Arena

I very much like The Rack here, and would consider playing Shrieking Affliction here too.

The single biggest weakness of Discard decks is that you enable Reanimator, Dredge and various other GraveYard and Discard based decks. You should run stuff like Bojuka Bog and Tormod's Crypt to help deal with that.

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

I'd switch Ravenous Rats to Rotting Rats. Personally I hate Ravenous, paying two mana to make your opponent discard one is often not worth it. Though Rotting Rats isn't that great either unless you're going to use the creature for something useful like Cry of Contrition. I'd recommend against doing that though, Cry, I think, is for another deck.

Instead of Duress I'd play Inquisition of Kozilek. Your late discard is going to ravage their hand, so you won't need your Duress then, early gave Inquisition provides a lot more utility, taking basically anything that could be relevant early game (baring something like Force of Will).

Instead of Geth's Verdict I'd play Innocent Blood. In a deck like this its power and efficiency are undeniable.

Instead of Go for the Throat I'd go with Victim of Night, but it's a meta call. There are 447 artifact creatures in Magic, and artifact decks like Affinity can explosive ones that can empty their hand before you do it for them. There are 421 Vampires, Werewolves, and Zombies in Magic, however these types all have their own tribal decks. Dismember is an incredibly solid removal spell, though it doesn't deal with any kind of creature that you'd Reanimate, and Reanimator might be one of the deck's weaknesses.

Shrieking Affliction from Return to Ravnica is good if you want more Racks.

I'd definitely run an additional Phyrexian Arena, you really want to draw one.

For a creature finisher you could try Twisted Abomination. The swampcycling can be useful. Running a couple Inkmoth Nexus is another option.

Really liking the feedback so far. Inquisition of Kozilek is solid and in this case probably better than Duress. I like Smallpox because it fits the disruption theme of the deck and forcing a player to sacrafice a land in some decks is a huge deal. Usually I love Innocent Blood, but I have way too many creatures, and I would hate to be drawing that card when I have Hypnotic Specter as my only creature on the field. I also don't see why in this scenario it's better than Smallpox, at least with the latter I get to disrupt everything they have. Geralf's Messenger would be awesome but isn't budget, Massacre Wurm and Grave Titan also don't have evasion and cost twice as much to play which means I'd definatly have to run more land. I am considering running more land, not a lot more, maybe just 2 more. Reanimator could be a problem, no one in my circle plays it though, but running a couple Bojuka Bog could still be helpful against flashback stuff.

Victim of Night is a meta call like you said and would fail misrabely in mine, haha. Grasp of Darkness is very solid, but honestly, I think in my meta Go For The Throat basically reads a Murder for 2 instead of 3. I don't think 4 Phyrexian Arena is necessary, nor do I really want to add another one to my shopping list, they are the least budget friendly card I'm running. 

I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
If you're running smallpox, you should really include something like bloodghast or nether shadow.  Also, I don't like the rats.  If anything, use black cat instead.  Random discard is so much better than letting your opponent choose.  I have a deck very similar to this.  I run 18 lands and 4 dark rit's and it's very consistent.  I don't think you need 22 lands if you're running dark rit fwiw.  reckless spite can be back-breaking for opponents in these types of decks.  In any event, it's nice to have some removal that can get rid of multiple creatures.  gatekeeper of malakir is really good here, too.  Basically, you want to fill the deck with cards that potentially 2 for 1 early, then when you and your opponent are both topdecking, you're at the advantage because you don't have any spells over CMC = 3 (which is the sweet spot for power vs. cost in monoB).
I actually like Black Cat a lot. It can discourage or punish my opponent from attacking and is fodder for Smallpox. I'll run Black Cat over Ravenous Rats or Rotting Rats.

There's too much black in my meta for Reckless Spite to be effective.  
Smallpox is a card that really needs to be considered carefully bfore being put into a deck. It looks like it's ana awesome 3-for-one, but in reality you're usually losing card advantage, and in the cases that you're not you're already behind. Think about it this way: If you have a land, creature and a cad in hand when you cast Smallpox and your opponent has the same you're actually down a card when the dust settles. Smallpox is best used when a combination of land, creature or card in hand do something when they go to the graveyard.

here are some cards you could replace Small Pox with:

Bone Splinters

Killing Wave

Tendrils of Despair

Chainer's Edict

Diabolic Edict

Sinkhole

Also, why do you think you can only have one copy of Strip Mine? The only format I know of where it's restricted is Vintage. If you aren't worrying about a format, you can go ahead and use a playset of whatever you want.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
Strip Mine is banned or restricted in most formats. My playgroup plays Vintage. Anyone running 4 Strip Mine at Kitchen Table is just mean. I guess I see what you mean about Smallpox. I still really like it though, it hitting land, particuarly in multi-colored decks is incredibly scary. If Sinkhole were in my budget, I'd run it, but it's not. What about Rain of Tears?
Smallpox is a card that really needs to be considered carefully bfore being put into a deck. It looks like it's ana awesome 3-for-one, but in reality you're usually losing card advantage

Bone Splinters

Killing Wave

Tendrils of Despair

Chainer's Edict

Diabolic Edict

Sinkhole

This deck doesn't care about card advantage as much as it does in moving the game into top-decking, with little board presence from your opponent, as fast as possible.  None of these cards fill that role.  In fact, the only real replacement for smallpox that I can think of is the original pox -- (an even harder card to play correctly).  That said, you shouldn't just blindly play smallpox.  Anytime you can 2 for 1, is the correct time to play it -- especially if you have the opportunity to toss a bloodghast or nether spirit into the yard.  Land destruction is important because it removes your opponent's ability to play a chunk of his library -- sort of pseudo card advantage.  If your opponent has 2 cards in hand, and you don't have any, then your opponent technically has card advantage.  However, if you have a high percentage of top-decking into something you can cast, and your opponent doesn't have the ability to cast anything in their hand, you're actually up by one card.  You're also up a card for each bloodghast in the graveyard -- or up a card for a nether spirit in the graveyard.

Sinkhole is far better combined with smallpox than rain of tears because you don't need to have a land drop on T4.  I'd probably run blight over rain of tears.  Maybe something like this:

4x smallpox
4x duress (or inquisition of kozilek -- depends on what you will need to get rid of)
4x hymn to tourach
4x blight
4x innocent blood

4x dismember
4x dark ritual

4x bloodghast                      }                                         {     1x nether spirit  & some tutors (expensive)
4x hypnotic specter              }--> Could replace with -->{     4x wrench mind
4x gatekeeper of malakir     }                                         {     4x the rack

1x phyrexian arena

1x strip mine
18xswamp

Smallpox is a card that really needs to be considered carefully bfore being put into a deck. It looks like it's ana awesome 3-for-one, but in reality you're usually losing card advantage

Bone Splinters

Killing Wave

Tendrils of Despair

Chainer's Edict

Diabolic Edict

Sinkhole

This deck doesn't care about card advantage as much as it does in moving the game into top-decking, with little board presence from your opponent, as fast as possible.  None of these cards fill that role.  In fact, the only real replacement for smallpox that I can think of is the original pox -- (an even harder card to play correctly).  That said, you shouldn't just blindly play smallpox.  Anytime you can 2 for 1, is the correct time to play it -- especially if you have the opportunity to toss a bloodghast or nether spirit into the yard.  Land destruction is important because it removes your opponent's ability to play a chunk of his library -- sort of pseudo card advantage.  If your opponent has 2 cards in hand, and you don't have any, then your opponent technically has card advantage.  However, if you have a high percentage of top-decking into something you can cast, and your opponent doesn't have the ability to cast anything in their hand, you're actually up by one card.  You're also up a card for each bloodghast in the graveyard -- or up a card for a nether spirit in the graveyard.

Sinkhole is far better combined with smallpox than rain of tears because you don't need to have a land drop on T4.  I'd probably run blight over rain of tears.  Maybe something like this:

4x smallpox
4x duress (or inquisition of kozilek -- depends on what you will need to get rid of)
4x hymn to tourach
4x blight
4x innocent blood

4x dismember
4x dark ritual

4x bloodghast                      }                                         {     1x nether spirit  & some tutors (expensive)
4x hypnotic specter              }--> Could replace with -->{     4x wrench mind
4x gatekeeper of malakir     }                                         {     4x the rack

1x phyrexian arena

1x strip mine
18xswamp

I'm not saying that Smallpox is a bad card. It is actually one of the best MBC cards IMO nd I play with it all the time. What I'm saying is that the way he has his deck built currently the only lime he doesn't actually get hit worse than an opponent is when he's already behind. If he wants to build his deck more around utilizing Smallpox, that's fine, but as his deck is right now it will do more harm than good.

@OP
Alright, so this IS a list with vintage rules. Just wanted to clear that up. Tongue Out

I would think about moving the Discard more to the back burner and focus on disruption, which is something Black is very good at. what it looks like you're trying to do is make a resource denial deck, which has a lot more staying power that straight discard. One of the reasons deicard isn't really used as a win con is because once your opponent is in top deck mode all your discard spells become blanks.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
Bloodghast isn't budget, Demonic Tutor isn't budget, I'm trying to keep this budget. I could sub Smallpox with Blight but I don't really see how that's much better. What do you think about Black Cat?
If you're insistant on running Smallpox, which isn't a bad thing, I'd go to Gatherer and look up Mono-Black "Dies" text wording.

cards like:
Cry of Contrition
Festering Goblin
Abyssal Gatekeeper
Blood Artist
Golgari Thug
Blistergrub
Dusk Urchins
Soulcage Fiend

just to name a few.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote: