Another Thread About Target/Wal-Mart Repacks

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know we've done threads like this in the past, but I have to share my latest find.  Tonight I was at Target getting unrelated items and I decided to peruse the Magic section.  There was a new shipment of the frequently awesome repacks, where they box up some precons and/or packs together.  Sometimes, these things are filled with awesome stuff, and sold for much less than they're worth.  I started rifling through them, finding nothing special until I came upon the last one:  this thing had two intro packs, one from Fifth Dawn, the other from Champions of Kamigawa.  It also contained...both halves of the Divine vs. Demonic Duel Deck.

So, just in case anyone wasn't checking their local big-box retailers, you should start.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

i never find magic in any walmat i went : (
why god why

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I know we've done threads like this in the past, but I have to share my latest find.  Tonight I was at Target getting unrelated items and I decided to peruse the Magic section.  There was a new shipment of the frequently awesome repacks, where they box up some precons and/or packs together.  Sometimes, these things are filled with awesome stuff, and sold for much less than they're worth.  I started rifling through them, finding nothing special until I came upon the last one:  this thing had two intro packs, one from Fifth Dawn, the other from Champions of Kamigawa.  It also contained...both halves of the Divine vs. Demonic Duel Deck.

So, just in case anyone wasn't checking their local big-box retailers, you should start.

How was the packaging?

I found one walmart around here that occasionally gets in large repacks like that.  They had a bunch of the theme decks.  Then they had one that was labeled as theme deck but it was tournament packs from Mercadian Masques and some other set.  I grabbed it up as I knew I would not see it again even though the two sets only had a few cards worth something.  It came in a large hard plastic case that looks like it is suppose to hold multiple decks.  Then also came with a bunch of sleaves.  Still have not opened it as I am unsure if I want to open it or if I want to do some kind of sealed with it.

I miss tournament packs.  I wounder why they ever got rid of them?

How was the packaging?

I found one walmart around here that occasionally gets in large repacks like that.  They had a bunch of the theme decks.  Then they had one that was labeled as theme deck but it was tournament packs from Mercadian Masques and some other set.  I grabbed it up as I knew I would not see it again even though the two sets only had a few cards worth something.  It came in a large hard plastic case that looks like it is suppose to hold multiple decks.  Then also came with a bunch of sleaves.  Still have not opened it as I am unsure if I want to open it or if I want to do some kind of sealed with it.

It was like you described.  The big hard case.  I wasn't too excited about the theme decks, but I nearly squealed with glee when I saw that Lord of the Pit staring back at me.  I turned it over, and there was Akroma, Angel of Wrath.  Definitely worth the thirty bucks.  There were four other repacks, but non that had anything as good as this one.  There were lots of old-ish theme decks, one from Scars and a Champions theme deck that I know has a Sensei's Divining Top in it, but I'm not made of money.

We don't have a magic isle, just some packs at the registers
It was like you described.  The big hard case.  I wasn't too excited about the theme decks, but I nearly squealed with glee when I saw that Lord of the Pit staring back at me.  I turned it over, and there was Akroma, Angel of Wrath.  Definitely worth the thirty bucks.  There were four other repacks, but non that had anything as good as this one.  There were lots of old-ish theme decks, one from Scars and a Champions theme deck that I know has a Sensei's Divining Top in it, but I'm not made of money.

OK, I saw them at Target last night.  I got one of them.  The plastic box was a little different, but I could see how my description could go for either one.  The one at target had a divider in the middle and the decks were placed width wise (assuming the short side width and the long side length).  Then it seemed like the one at walmart had no divider and everything was placed length wise due to this.

Anyway, the one that I found had an Shadomore theme deck.  Then it has what looks like the Monstrous Surprise intro deck (just deck, no extra booster) though I have not opened that one yet.  Then finally the other side that I did open up that just had tokens facing out from the package had an Ajani vs Bolas deck.  Though it did not include the Ajani or Bolas cards.  Does seem to have all the other rares though and the lightning helix.

The targets and walmarts that carry these are few and far between.  I will try and keep an eye out for a Angel vs Demonic tokens, since I will assume that is all you see.  Did yours also come with the tutor?  I am guessing mine they knew the PWs were money cards so took them out of the re-pack.
I have seen these at my Target for $30, two intro packs from various sets, plastic see-through hard box with a divider, could fit more than the contents.

Please check out my Blog:

Magic the Gathering Adventures Blog

http://mtgadventures.blogspot.com/

Please check out my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubiera22/featured

I have seen these at two different Target stores nearby, although the actual contents seem to vary quite a bit.  There were either 4 or 5 sealed "decks" in each box for $30.  Many of the decks had a foil card on front and were easily identified as intro decks from various sets.  They were generally from the Scars of Mirrodin block and Magic 2012, but I also saw a Rize of the Eldrazi deck and one from Innistrad.

A few of the decks had a token card on front - either the Griffin or Saproling from the Ajani/Bolas duel decks.  The Griffin is for the Ajani half of the set, minus Ajani himself so you only get 59 cards plus the token.  I'm guessing the Saproling is for the Bolas half, and similarly missing the foil card.

Some of the decks were thicker and only showing a land card.  These looked to be 80-card land packs from a Fat Pack.  I also saw what looked like perhaps a 50 card deck with a land on front.  I'm not sure what this was.

If you steer clear of the land packs and 4-deck boxes, you can walk away with 5 precon decks for $30.

I also noticed two other repacks:

* Target is selling 2 boosters (Innistrad and Avacyn restored) plus 8 loose cards for $8.  I bought one figuring that even if the 8 cards were total junk I at least was getting a couple boosters that I would use.  The loose cards seemed like a fairly typical batch of common/uncommon cards from random sets, although there was a nice Darksteel Ingot.

* Walmart had a pack with 3 boosters plus a Terastodon (foil?) for $11.  The boosters looked like Innistrad, Avacyn Restored and I think either Dark Ascension or maybe Magic 2013.  Not a bad deal if you want a few boosters from the Innistrad block.  I might pick one of these up later.

OK, I saw them at Target last night.  I got one of them.  The plastic box was a little different, but I could see how my description could go for either one.  The one at target had a divider in the middle and the decks were placed width wise (assuming the short side width and the long side length).  Then it seemed like the one at walmart had no divider and everything was placed length wise due to this.

Anyway, the one that I found had an Shadomore theme deck.  Then it has what looks like the Monstrous Surprise intro deck (just deck, no extra booster) though I have not opened that one yet.  Then finally the other side that I did open up that just had tokens facing out from the package had an Ajani vs Bolas deck.  Though it did not include the Ajani or Bolas cards.  Does seem to have all the other rares though and the lightning helix.

The targets and walmarts that carry these are few and far between.  I will try and keep an eye out for a Angel vs Demonic tokens, since I will assume that is all you see.  Did yours also come with the tutor?  I am guessing mine they knew the PWs were money cards so took them out of the re-pack.

You have to be careful though.  I've bought a few that were halves of duel decks minus the foil, even though it was still worth the price.  These Divine vs. Demonic ones were weird though.  They must have opened the pack and resealed it with the foils in it, because I know the Duel Decks are packaged with the foil separate in order to be the face cards.

Anyway, I found another one last night with the Divine half again, a Fifth Dawn Stampede Theme deck, some land, and a Betrayers of Kamigawa Theme deck.  Seeing the Betrayers one, I immediately thought "Ewww poopy," but after looking it up on my phone, I discovered that it contained an Umezawa's Jitte.  So, between the Jitte and Akroma, that's $50 bucks worth of cards for $30 plus some other stuff that will probably help my cube.  I might peruse other Targets today or tomorrow.

Because they were mostly redundant with boosters. The only thing that set them apart was the land, and there are better ways of getting lands into the hands of players who need them.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I have seen these at my Target for $30, two intro packs from various sets, plastic see-through hard box with a divider, could fit more than the contents.

update: these sell like hot cakes, saw them last week, this week: gone!

I think it depends on your community.  For instance, the old Target I used to work for was in a community that didn't exactly scream Magic.  They still sold products, though.  So I'd just check the shelf on my way in every day.  I've found some pretty amazing deals so far.  I wouldn't buy them blindly though.  If the face card is land, then it's probably just a bunch of lands.  However, as in my previous example, I bought it anyway for the Divine deck and the Jitte.

I actually talked to the distributor guy once.  He told me that his company doesn't care at all about aftermarket value.  They buy product from stores that are closing, repackage it and sell them it packages like those we've been discussing.  It's really been a boon to my collection and my in-progress cube.  I had actually been looking into the Divine vs. Demonic deck for EDH goodness, but then I saw it was $120!  It felt so incredibly lucky to find these!

Just to reiterate, if you're not at least checking over the Magic section of your local Target, Wal-Mart and (to a lesser extent) K-Mart when you happen to be there, there's a fair chance that you're missing out on some hotness.

I went to my Target. Found 4 intro packs boxed up for 30 USD. They were all different, but I found one that had Scars of Mirrodin in it along with three others that I unpacked and put into my card box. I made a few edits to SoM and I just wreck with it now.  For about 7.5 USD for each intro deck, it's a steal.

I think it depends on your community.  For instance, the old Target I used to work for was in a community that didn't exactly scream Magic.  They still sold products, though.  So I'd just check the shelf on my way in every day.  I've found some pretty amazing deals so far.  I wouldn't buy them blindly though.  If the face card is land, then it's probably just a bunch of lands.  However, as in my previous example, I bought it anyway for the Divine deck and the Jitte.

I actually talked to the distributor guy once.  He told me that his company doesn't care at all about aftermarket value.  They buy product from stores that are closing, repackage it and sell them it packages like those we've been discussing.  It's really been a boon to my collection and my in-progress cube.  I had actually been looking into the Divine vs. Demonic deck for EDH goodness, but then I saw it was $120!  It felt so incredibly lucky to find these!

Just to reiterate, if you're not at least checking over the Magic section of your local Target, Wal-Mart and (to a lesser extent) K-Mart when you happen to be there, there's a fair chance that you're missing out on some hotness.

I agree, while on road trips I have been to Targets and Walmarts like the one you mention. In one this summer I saw 20 or so Scars of Mirrodin blisters.

You have to be careful though.  I've bought a few that were halves of duel decks minus the foil, even though it was still worth the price.  These Divine vs. Demonic ones were weird though.  They must have opened the pack and resealed it with the foils in it, because I know the Duel Decks are packaged with the foil separate in order to be the face cards.

Anyway, I found another one last night with the Divine half again, a Fifth Dawn Stampede Theme deck, some land, and a Betrayers of Kamigawa Theme deck.  Seeing the Betrayers one, I immediately thought "Ewww poopy," but after looking it up on my phone, I discovered that it contained an Umezawa's Jitte.  So, between the Jitte and Akroma, that's $50 bucks worth of cards for $30 plus some other stuff that will probably help my cube.  I might peruse other Targets today or tomorrow.

I must say that is great for you but I'm very jelious.    I have wanted the Jitte, AvD Akroma, and AvD tutor.  That is actually the exact pack I was hoping to get when looking at those in target after you informed us.

Though I did get pretty lucky and got a complete Jase vs Chandra deck.  I think it had the Elves half of Elves vs Goblins.  Then an original Mirrodin theme deck.  When I look at those I am looking for either the Theme deck with the Jitte, or the AvD deck.  I could only immagine how excited I would be to see and get them both in the same package.
I didn't even know about these. Well I went in to Target and took a look arround. Sure enough there were about 6 of these random re-packs on the bottom shelf behind up to date product. The one that jumped out ant me had the Mimeoplasm comander deck and the Zedruu the Greathearted comander deck along with some sort of pre-made deck and a cellophane pack of cards. Who knows what's in those. Seemed like a good deal!
"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. I always back up my arguements with facts and documented sources." - The Credible Hulk
I didn't even know about these. Well I went in to Target and took a look arround. Sure enough there were about 6 of these random re-packs on the bottom shelf behind up to date product. The one that jumped out ant me had the Mimeoplasm comander deck and the Zedruu the Greathearted comander deck along with some sort of pre-made deck and a cellophane pack of cards. Who knows what's in those. Seemed like a good deal!

Ummmm...if those two Commander decks were both in a single container, you should go buy it.  Like, right now. 

The local stores had some... lots of Ajani/Bolas, Mirrodin block, Innistrad block and one with a Graveborn.
The local stores had some... lots of Ajani/Bolas, Mirrodin block, Innistrad block and one with a Graveborn.

What?!  Was the Graveborn intact?  Did the Ajani/Bolas ones have their respective walkers?  I bought some repacks about a year ago with Fire and Lightning, but they didn't have the "face cards."

I went to another Target after I first reported this find, and they had about nine of the repacks.  I was pumped, and I immediately started rummaging through them.  Nothing.  The vast majority were just Scars block intro decks.  Twas a major disappointment, but I guess I can't be too bummed with my finds thus far.

My boyfriend and I just picked up the only one we saw at our local target. Got the complete Demonic deck, an invasion intro deck, Shards of Alara Tournament pack, and some lands x.x

Still, pulled over $30 worth of goodness from it.

"Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this."