PEACH Rogue for Kill the Wizard

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
The basic idea is to stealth into everywhere and let the others take on creatures unless I can get the kill shot in.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 8
Revenant, Rogue (Thief)
Choose your Race in Life: Drow
Assassin (Assassin Benefit)
Theme: Noble

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 12, DEX 20, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 20

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 12, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 16

AC: 20 Fort: 17 Ref: 23 Will: 21
HP: 59 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +14, Athletics +9, Dungeoneering +9, Intimidate +16, Perception +9, Stealth +19, Thievery +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Endurance +7, Heal +4, History +4, Insight +4, Nature +4, Religion +4, Streetwise +9

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Noble Utility: Noble Presence
Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping
Rogue Utility: Backstab
Rogue Utility: Sneak's Trick
Rogue Utility: Feinting Trick
Rogue Utility: Tactical Trick
Rogue Utility: Cunning Escape
Rogue Utility: Escape Artist's Trick
Assassin Feature: Assassin's Shroud
Rogue Utility 2: Quick Fingers
Rogue Utility 6: Slip Aside

FEATS
Level 1: Shadow Initiate
Level 2: Light Blade Expertise
Level 4: Midnight Stalker
Level 6: Ruthless Hunter
Level 8: Hidden Sniper

ITEMS
Gloaming Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1 x1
Velvet Crown x1
Sneak's Cloak +2 x1
Sandstorm Hand crossbow +2 x1
Lifestealer Dagger +1 x1
Boots of Stealth (heroic tier) x1
Flaying Gloves (heroic tier) x1
Adventurer's Kit
Grappling Hook
Climber's Kit
Footpads
Augmenting Whetstone (level 6)
====== End ======
So what's the point of stealth when you have Hidden Sniper?
There is basicly no situation where stealth would give you combat advantage.
I'm guessing the point is survivability?  Of course, how survivable will you be when everyone else is dead?

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Suggestions for improvement?
If you want to be ranged, go regular rogue, rogue powers are way better than what a thief gets, when you are ranged. Midnight Stalker is overkill and a waste. Pick a damage feat, like Backstabber. Shadow Initiate wastes a skill, and is only 2d6 extra damage. Much better would be something like Barbarian MC (you would need to change your array to something like 13/13/18/8/10/10, and may as well go Brutal Scoundral for couple more points of sneak attack damage). Light Blade Expertise and Ruthless Hunter don't play together. Decide whether you want to throw daggers, or use a crossbow.

If you want to be a thief, build a charger. That's what they do.
It really sounds like you want to play an assassin, they like to stand back hiding for a few rounds building up shrouds before hitting for massive damage ( they are also pretty bad beacuse of it, good strikes do a lot of damage every round ).

If you go with thief, I would
get rid of Feinting Trick ( you should be getting CA every turn ), Get Ambush Trick ( you can still do damage if the map doesn't have a obstacle in the right place ) or Acrobat's Trick ( climb speed + damage bonus = always good ).
Get leather armor, start with 20 dex. I would also get the drow soul feat for cloud of darkness.
Is this better?  Comments?  Improvements?

EDIT:  why doesn't CB add the +2 to AC for wearing cloth armor?  When I remove the armor my AC goes from 24 to 22.  Is Unarmored Agility broken?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kill the Wizard Drow, level 8
Drow, Ranger (Scout)
Ranger Wilderness Knacks Option: Wilderness Tracker (Ranger)
Ranger Wilderness Knacks Option: Ambush Expertise (Ranger)
Two-Weapon Style Option: Spinning Axe Mastery
Level 4 Wilderness Knack Option: Beast Empathy (Ranger)
Level 8 Wilderness Knack Option: Mountain Guide (Ranger)
Associate: Trained Young Owlbear
Impiltur (Impiltur Benefit)
Theme: Fey Beast Tamer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 10, DEX 20, INT 12, WIS 20, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 12, WIS 16, CHA 10

AC: 24 Fort: 15 Ref: 21 Will: 19
HP: 67 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 16

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +14, Athletics +9, Dungeoneering +14, Perception +14, Stealth +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Endurance +4, Heal +9, History +5, Insight +9, Intimidate +6, Nature +9, Religion +5, Streetwise +4, Thievery +9

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Drow Racial Power: Cloud of Darkness
Ranger Utility: Aspect of the Charging Ram
Ranger Utility: Aspect of the Lurking Spider
Ranger Attack: Dual Weapon Attack
Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike
Ranger Utility: Aspect of the Dancing Serpent
Ranger Utility 2: Oak Skin
Ranger Utility 5: Reactive Shift
Ranger Utility 6: Thorn Ward

FEATS
Level 1: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 2: Two-Weapon Defense
Level 4: Melee Training (Dexterity)
Level 6: Light Blade Expertise
Level 8: Unarmored Agility

ITEMS
Horned Helm (heroic tier) x1
Supremely Vicious Handaxe +2 x1
Master's Blade Short sword +2 x1
Boots of Adept Charging x1
Potion of Healing
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) of Sudden Recovery +2 x1
====== End ======
I don't know how you're coming up with these, I'm going to assume you're new to this, and recommend you read some class guides.

Two weapon defense is inferior to Improved defenses, but at level 8 for a one shot delve, neither one is all that necessary. You don't need Melee Training, you're a Scout! You already use dex for melee basic attack AND damage. You have light blade expertise, but are off-handing an axe. It's all sorts of bad. Missing sucks in a one shot game. Get Flashing Blade Mastery instead. Use a rapier and shortsword. Make the rapier a vanguard weapon, and make your shortsword a Master's Blade. Get Iron Armbands instead of Horned Helm. You are proficient in Hide Armor, why would you sacrifice a point of AC and a feat to be in Cloth? Stick with Hide, and use the feat on something better. You don't need that high a wisdom, just max out your Dex (you lose a point of resistance, but that's small potatoes, and make sure you discuss with your leader to make sure they're not giving you a better resist anyway). For background instead of Impiltur, use Auspicious Birth. With the spare feats you now have, multiclass rogue, and grab Surprising Charge.

Also Thorn Ward is going to be very difficult to maintain in the LA. You're going to be moving all over creation. I'd go with Ranger's Agility for high mobility and easy charging.
Mengu:  Thanks for the suggestions.  I forgot (or didn't know) that scouts already use dex for melee/dam. 

I will look into your suggestions but some questions is that I already have Dex to 20...i don't think I can go any higher than that. 

I also don't know how to Multiclass in CB... 

I don't see a difference between Auspicious Birth and Impiltur. 

I figured that Thorn Ward will work well to keep the wizard down since I can Charge + prone him with Aspect of Ram keeping him down and in the spot I want him to be. 
Starting array 11/10/18/8/14/10, after after racials and two stat bumps, at level 8, you'll have 11/10/22/8/18/10.

Rogue multiclass feat is what you want, Sneak of Shadows. Your feats should be something like:

1. Light Blade Expertise
2. Sneak of Shadows
4. Surprising Charge
6. Martial Cross Training (Fox's Cunning)
8. Superior Will

When your Dex becomes 4 points higher than your wisdom, Auspicious Birth will give you 4 more hit points than Impiltur.

I don't really know what all the wizard can do, but I would be surprised if he can't just teleport around. Ranger's Agility lets you spam charging all encounter long.
Sign In to post comments