Shrewd Hatchling + Clout of the Dominus

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I can't find the answer on google

[C]Shrewd Hatchling[/C] get's enchanted with [C]Clout of the Dominus[/C].  Does the enchant remove 2 counters being a hybrid mana cost?  Or just one because one colored mana was payed?

Still on that subject does Shrewd Hatchling benefit from both abilities from Clout of the Dominus?

One last question. Does casting [C]Electrolyze[/C] or [C]Gelectrode[/C] count as both blue AND red thus letting me remove 2 counters from Shrewd Hatchling?
it doesn't get any counters from clout
but it does get +2/+2 because it is both blue and red
for that same reason it will also get Shroud and Haste

and yes, when you cast a blue and red spell you get to remove 2 counters from Shrewd Hatchling
proud member of the 2011 community team
Thanks for the quick reply.  Can you tell me why Clout of the Dominus won't remove counters? Does the hybrid mana cost not count as blue or red?
Thanks for the quick reply.  Can you tell me why Clout of the Dominus won't remove counters? Does the hybrid mana cost not count as blue or red?

It is blue and red, so you will lose two counters when you cast the Clout.

because Clout of the Dominus simply gives +2/+2, not 2 +1/+1 counters
of course, it will remove 2 -1/-1 counters from Shrewd Hatchling when you cast it, but there are ways to enchant without casting ;)
proud member of the 2011 community team

[C]Shrewd Hatchling[/C] get's enchanted with [C]Clout of the Dominus[/C].  Does the enchant remove 2 counters being a hybrid mana cost?  Or just one because one colored mana was payed?

Did you actually cast Clout of the Dominus?  If you didn't, it doesn't trigger any of Shrewd Hatchling's abilities, no matter what it got attached to.  If you did, it triggers Shrewd Hatchling's third and fourth abilities, no matter what it targets or will eventually attach to.

Clout of the Dominus has a blue mana symbol in its mana cost.  Therefore, it is blue.  Therefore, casting it can trigger the "Whenever you cast a blue spell, remove a -1/-1 counter from Shrewd Hatchling." ability of your Shrewd Hatchling.

Clout of the Dominus has a red mana symbol in its mana cost.  Therefore, it is red.  Therefore, casting it can trigger the "Whenever you cast a red spell, remove a -1/-1 counter from Shrewd Hatchling." ability of your Shrewd Hatchling.

107.4e Hybrid mana symbols are also colored mana symbols. Each one represents a cost that can be paid in one of two ways, as represented by the two halves of the symbol. A hybrid symbol such as () can be paid with either white or blue mana, and a monocolored hybrid symbol such as () can be paid with either one black mana or two mana of any type. A hybrid mana symbol is all of its component colors.

202.2. An object is the color or colors of the mana symbols in its mana cost, regardless of the color of its frame.

Still on that subject does Shrewd Hatchling benefit from both abilities from Clout of the Dominus?

Shrewd Hatchling has a blue mana symbol in its mana cost.  Therefore, it is blue.  Therefore, it can qualify for the "As long as enchanted creature is blue, it gets +1/+1 and has shroud." ability.

Shrewd Hatchling has a red mana symbol in its mana cost.  Therefore, it is red.  Therefore, it can qualify for the "As long as enchanted creature is red, it gets +1/+1 and has haste." ability.
One last question. Does casting [C]Electrolyze[/C] or [C]Gelectrode[/C] count as both blue AND red thus letting me remove 2 counters from Shrewd Hatchling?

Electrolyze has a blue mana symbol in its mana cost.  Therefore, it is blue.  Therefore, casting it can trigger the "Whenever you cast a blue spell, remove a -1/-1 counter from Shrewd Hatchling." ability of your Shrewd Hatchling.

etc.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

You'll get faster and more reliable answers HERE than anywhere else.
(albeit some answers may sometimes be uselessly overtechnical... or sometimes on the verge of rude...) 

Tax evasion is nothing but legitimate self-defense against the theft that is tax collection.

[C]Shrewd Hatchling[/C] get's enchanted with [C]Clout of the Dominus[/C].  Does the enchant remove 2 counters being a hybrid mana cost?

Yes. The spell is both colors, whatever you paid for it.
(assuming you just cast the enchantment, which is the most probable scenario) 

Does casting [C]Electrolyze[/C] or [C]Gelectrode[/C] count as both blue AND red thus letting me remove 2 counters from Shrewd Hatchling?

Yes.

Tax evasion is nothing but legitimate self-defense against the theft that is tax collection.

Sign In to post comments