Return to Ravnica draft 2!

549 posts / 0 new
Last post

Well that is a Stab Wound.

Edit
And also the only black card in the pack.

Hellkite is Untap-Win but costs 8

Stabwound is Stabwound... 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Hellkite is Untap-Win

This? But I haven't played with RtR yet so no idea if it is slow enough for this. 
Well, RtR is a slower format generally speaking, although both R/B and G/B can ramp up quickly.  And once the Hellkite hits the board, it's essentially an auto-win at that point. 

Stab Wound is probably the better choice however.  Easier to splash, more likely to actually play it, and will win you the game quickly enough. 

So, I'm torn but I'd go with Stab Wound.
You guys are just going nuts for Stab Wound, aren't you. I agree that an assessment of the format is required to determine how often Hellkite is castable. If it were 6 CMC I think picking it would be a no-brainer, but I don't like it for 8. Yeah, Stab Wound is probably the pick here.
slam the dagron.
You guys are just going nuts for Stab Wound, aren't you. I agree that an assessment of the format is required to determine how often Hellkite is castable. If it were 6 CMC I think picking it would be a no-brainer, but I don't like it for 8. Yeah, Stab Wound is probably the pick here.

I don't like playing cards that require me to go through half my deck just to cast, they certainly don't help me get to that point. Even once dragon hits the board he is just a body on the first turn. I'd take the solid removal over that any day. I've won many drafts because my opponents decided to take flashy expensive bombs and I've aggressively drafted removal. They have less castable cards than me in their hand, so if I have removal to match their best creatures I can just kill them.
It never feels right passing this kind of bomb, but 8 mana isn't 7, and that's a pretty big difference.

Stab Wound

IRL, I'd windmill the dragon
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
Stab Wound.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
STAB WOUND.

Removal when you want. Bombombombombobomonb crusher for fun.

(Srsly such a damn good card ppls.) 

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

I think narrowly Stab Wound over Izzet Staticaster but I could be wrong on that. Not that it looks like there's going to be a competition.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Screw it, I want to play with bombs

Hellkite

Just gotta grab those Keyrunes and Walls when they present themselves. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I say go for the Dragon.
Stab Wound
I get the don't grab bombs. My one thought is Izzet has remove, Dispel, Cancel, Essence backlash, Detain. All in Red Blue. Not knowing if you are going to get those is tough. I'm going hellkite and hoping later packs and cheap blue removal.

I totaly understand in stab wins though.
I like Annihilating Fire here. The reach is so helpful in the rakdos deck which is a solid direction to go.
Grabbing the Hellkite. Not enough unconditional removal at common/uncommon that can take care of it.
Screw it, I want to play with bombs

Hellkite

Just gotta grab those Keyrunes and Walls when they present themselves. 

This decision and for this reason. Let's play the bomb! 
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
While I still think I'm sticking with stab wound, it occured to me that in most drafts you might have a reasonable chance of being passed Guild Feud which is normally a write-off card as unplayable.  However, with this bad boy sitting in your deck, you KNOW you have the better creature and you know that when it hits the table you win.  So, while it might be a gamble, building around possibly being passed the Feud might not be unreasonable.  Still take the low end bears, but don't be afraid to play an overcosted deck and run 18 maybe 19 lands to really hit those drops.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
I'll take Stab Wound, but it's closer than I'd like.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Underworld Connections. I hear card advantage is good in limited.
Underworld Connections is really....really good. 

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Connections, over sabre.

We might be able to wheel something decent from this pack, possibly Deviant Glee.

The guy who passed this took a common, wonder what it was, hopefully not another Stab Wound  Would you take stab wound over connections?

Yeah, even drawing an extra card every turn for five or six mana is often insane in limited. It isn't really much of a downside that you have to dump into this every turn either, because you'll draw more land than your opponent, meaning you'll actually have access to more mana than they do. The 1 damage is certainly relevant, but the great thing about this card is that you can stop whenever you want to.

Edit:
I also love how the card has pseudo-haste, like the Zendikons

Yeah, even drawing an extra card every turn for five or six mana is often insane in limited. It isn't really much of a downside that you have to dump into this every turn either, because you'll draw more land than your opponent, meaning you'll actually have access to more mana than they do. The 1 damage is certainly relevant, but the great thing about this card is that you can stop whenever you want to.

Played this last night in my Rakdos deck.  Only drew it once, but when it hit, I BURIED a Selesnya deck in card advantage.

191752181 wrote:
Connections is pretty Crazy.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Connections
Connections, though I really like Sabre. Getting Longlegs back would be amazing.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I'd probably take the Grisly Salvage and go in for a Golgari/Scavenge deck but I think I might get outvoted.
I'd probably take the Grisly Salvage and go in for a Golgari/Scavenge deck but I think I might get outvoted.

You don't think the advantage Connections provides trumps the advantage and card selestion Grisly Salvage provides? Salvage might hit a single Scavenge creature if you're lucky and net you the best card out of the five. Connections on the other hand is like a massive Skeletal Scrying. Would you pick Impulse over Tidings?
Connections. BC Rummaging Goblin is a completely playable card in limited, and this is much better.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Connections - I like card advantage.
Connections, but if we end up in Golgari with like 8 or so scavengers, Salvage is really really good.
Connections does seem like it has the potential to be crazy good, and fits with the first pick.
slam the dagron.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

The Connection is made.

PS, were you guys seriously considering the dragon in the last pick?  I like to be able to cast my spells.  For me that pick was between Stab Wound & Annihilating Fire.  Dragon was kinda LOL.
connections is a pretty sick card, and we're not really passing much either.
Underworld Connections, easily and by a mile.  The crazy card advantage it generates, coupled with the lack of any sort of decent LD, and only a handful of enchantment destruction, means this will add up quick.
I played Connections in my prerelease and it was amazing every time.
Sign In to post comments