Instant vs. Aura

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
This went up for debate for a while but with myself being inexperienced, I need clarification.

I have [C]Gelectrode[/C] and [C]Clout of the Dominus[/C] in my hand.  It's my turn (1st main phase) and I have the mana to play both.  My opponent has [C]Murder[/C] in his hand.  As soon as I play [C]Gelectrode[/C], my opponent is quick to cast [C]Murder[/C] which would normally kill my creature as soon as it's permanent.  But am I allowed to play Clout of the Dominus in response to Murder to give my creature shroud and prevent the kill?  My opponent argued that my enchantment needs to be an instant to resolve over Murder even though this is happening during my main phase.  I hope he's wrong lol.

By default, the only spell you can cast outside of your main phase or when the stack isn't empty are instants. You'd need to cast [C]Clout of the Dominus[/C] in response to [C]Murder[/C] to be useful, but the stack isn't empty then.
Your opponent is correct, the only spells that can be cast in responce of another spell or ability on the stack are instants and cards with flash.  That being said, after your gelectrode resolves you would again have priority.  So your opponent doesn't have priority to cast murder right away, however if you tried to cast the clout they could respond with murder and your creature would still die and the clout would be countered (so by your opponent casting murder early it really was to your advantage).

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

My opponent argued that my enchantment needs to be an instant to resolve over Murder even though this is happening during my main phase.

note: enchantments are never instants and vice versa so in that sense he's wrong, however, you can't normally play an enchantment in response to a spell. You could if it had flash or if as though it had flash or if a resolving ability allowed you to. 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments