My thoughts on RtR

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I haven't been terribly involved in standard for a while now so I'm not 100% up to date on the meta, but I have 2 boxes of RtR on the way and I'd like to get some feedback from others on which direction to build in.

First off as a control player, I'm most concerned about that aspect of the set. As of right now I think that Azorious is horrendously overpowered in this set. It doesn't have as much counter support as before, but the prison type control (i.e. detain and bounce spells) is entirely too potent. What it looks like to me is that U/W is just going to be stall until a Isperia, Supreme Judge hits, and then stomp all over the place. An option to make that happen is to splash into Bant for Axebane Guardian, and Gatecreeper Vine. That also provides access to some very efficient board presence creatures in G/W. Also now that we have a wrath that can't be answered in Supreme Verdict, it almost would feel silly to not play bant.

Enter Jund. Here we have a very long list of far too efficient spot removal, paired with a very long list of far too efficient creatures. Again we have effects that can't be countered Abrupt Decay, access to Axebane, and Gatecreeper to ramp, and a fantastic evasive/trampling beatstick in Rakdos, Lord of Riots. It's hard to say whether this could beat Bant; because it's more aggressive I think, but lacks some the card advantage provided by the other. Either way it seems like these two archetypes will be the dominant ones out of this set.
Please lurk/playtest more.

this was mean/funny.....

but i do agree, you're a little off on your assessments

bant control will likely be a thing, but not as you described and jund is a thing as well, but again, not as you see it.   

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

this was mean/funny.....

bant control will likely be a thing, but not as you described and jund is a thing as well, but again, not as you see it.   

Seems pretty tame for a catowner post.

Sure Supreme Verdict can't be countered, but that doesn't mean it can't be answered.

this was mean/funny.....

Seems pretty tame for a catowner post.

Sure Supreme Verdict can't be countered, but that doesn't mean it can't be answered.

*cough* some things are better than counters.
Get your gatecreepers while they are cheap, boys!
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Was just about to mention Golgari Charm. Great sideboard card. Still only half the price of some other for good reason though. And I don't expect gatecreeper to ever really be played too much outside of budget decks, but as per always I could be wrong.
I was being facetious 

No competitive deck should or would play gatecreeper. There's no mystery to it. It's a wall without flying/hexproof and has an irrelevant toughness. It has an awfully limited land fetch. If it ramped, then it would be considered. Even at :G: it would be unplayable. Axebane is outclassed by Somberwald Sage in most cases.

Now, I will of course be building a casual cheese deck with a playset or four of these and some other goodies. Mill as wincon.
Ah, got me xD

Yeah, the toughness is what really gets it. I actually do have it as a four of in one deck right now, but the function is mostly because it deck thins and can chump block once without me really caring if it dies. Somberwald doesn't actually help in that deck.

Does your provolone deck by chance use doorkeepers? And is it self mill or simply mill?

Lastly, do you play SC2? 
I'm planning on using all 6 of my Doorkeepers, rules be damned, and a playset or two of the other tribal defenders. Ideally, I will be able to ramp fairly fast and by turn 5 have at least 5 defenders out. Axebane's will then provide mana to cast anything else and activate the doorkeepers to mill my opponent out. Might as well throw in my Conjured Currencys and Search the City for further combo potential. Gatherer search turns doesn't turn anything up for a 1drop defender in standard, unfortunately. 

If this deck plays reasonably well I will probably trim it up to rules-worthy and throw in some Ludevic's Test Subjects.

And yes, I have dabbled in SC2. Got me. 
:P Just remember that control is a relativity thing OP, and RTR standard's good mana is far more brutal towards do-nothing decks. If you want to play control you have to be drawing, thinning, removing or getting board pressence as early as turn 2 and if you don't generate options by turn 3 you're practically dead in the water.

Also, in spite of having made an assertion, the format is still in it's infancy- so being perceptive and willing to change your mind often is key.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I'm planning on using all 6 of my Doorkeepers, rules be damned, and a playset or two of the other tribal defenders. Ideally, I will be able to ramp fairly fast and by turn 5 have at least 5 defenders out. Axebane's will then provide mana to cast anything else and activate the doorkeepers to mill my opponent out. Might as well throw in my Conjured Currencys and Search the City for further combo potential. Gatherer search turns doesn't turn anything up for a 1drop defender in standard, unfortunately. 

If this deck plays reasonably well I will probably trim it up to rules-worthy and throw in some Ludevic's Test Subjects.

And yes, I have dabbled in SC2. Got me. 

Lol, I played a legit standard deck around this tonight and managed to do very well. I'm making a new threa called Trollolololol or something. I would include the city searching but if I draw up a certain land it kind of screws me on multiple fronts if I've already played one. General principal applies for other cards in the deck too. Hinders me more than anything :'(

And if you were watching GSL for Life vs MKP in the Ro8 Artosis directly referenced  Who's The Beatdown. Thought that was pretty fitting and win. (Ps Rain vs MVP in the semifinals were probably the best games I have ever watched. They were SOOoOOO good. Those totally could have been the finals months from now and they just came back in time to play the same games. *spoiler* I can't wait to see Life vs MVP in the finals. I feel like it'll be great. 5 GSL pin for MVP? Probably but Life is wrecking).

Needs more Rise of the Eldrazi to play defenders

(at)MrEnglish22

Sign In to post comments