Question arising from play

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi guys a couple of quick related questions that came up during gameplay today.

The drow card Web and the Umber Hulks Gaze ability - do they need line of sight to the target?

I said yes but the other players didnt think so.

All help appreciated.

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

Hi guys a couple of quick related questions that came up during gameplay today.

The drow card Web and the Umber Hulks Gaze ability - do they need line of sight to the target?

I said yes but the other players didnt think so.

All help appreciated.

Any card or ability that says "within X squares" needs to have LOS to the target to be used, unless it explicitly says otherwise, per the rulebook. As of now I don't know of any card that has a clause that overrules the LOS rule.

Thankfully, creatures can only use cover to cancel attack damage, not to cancel these kind of abilities. So you only need to see one corner of the enemy figure, not all four of them.
Any card or ability that says "within X squares" needs to have LOS to the target to be used, unless it explicitly says otherwise, per the rulebook. As of now I don't know of any card that has a clause that overrules the LOS rule.

Thankfully, creatures can only use cover to cancel attack damage, not to cancel these kind of abilities. So you only need to see one corner of the enemy figure, not all four of them.

Many thanks, I'll know for the next game

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

Does Fire Trap need LoS to the target square? The rules explicitly only mention needing LoS when counting distance but I had assumed this holds true for Fire Trap as well. After rereading the text box on page 13 of the rules I'm less certain. The text on Fire Trap is:

REQUIRES HUMANOID Choose 1 hazardous terrain square. Deal 20 damage to each creature within 2 squares of that square.