Suggestions for Regeneration based Longtooth Barbarian.

26 posts / 0 new
Last post

In another Campaign I am playing in, I decided to step away from the tank and heavy armor love and make a Barbarian Striker. The initial goal which still stands was to make a Barbarian that relied on charging and/or being blooded and getting bonuses. But my initial plan changed upon making the character to take Pack outcast. My primary reasoning for doing this was to base the character on a werewolf theme and regeneration, so i've been trying to find as many ways to boost this as possible. This character is themed for Roleplay, but I would like to try and make him as optimized as I can. My main concern is that he will be primarily STR/CON, so his Initiative, AC, and 2 saves might suffer unless I cater to them. I took Hide Armor expertise and I plan on taking Second skin later on.

So far for my level I took the feat Longtooth Spirit Shifter so when I am blooded this would increase regen by 2. At level 20, using Longtooth Shifting (6 regen),  Longtooth Spirit Shifter (2 regen), and Blood of the wolf (1 + con mod = 6 Regen and the ability to end it to spend a surge) I will be sitting at 15 Regen while blooded. I am not sure if this will be useful until I am in play, but i'm devoted to the build now.

I do not know a lot as I am relatively new to D&D, so I am looking for other options for adding more regen. I did see two that I might plan on getting, one being taking vampire heratige and then taking Bloodied Regeneration. This does not seem optimal (also for RP reasons) though as it would cost 2 feats and you only gain regeneration until you're not bloodied or till the end of the encounter. The other is Rapid regernation which I would definently be taking at level 21 which would bring the regen up to 21. Also.

As for items I did see a few things of interest such as the Ring of regeneration (Daily, minor, reach 1 milestone 10 regen until end of encounter or use healing surge), Sash of Regeneration (5 regen bloodied), Ioun Stone of Regeneration (10 regen while blooded until end of encounter), and the regeneration potions.

Is there anything I am overlooking? Hopefully this would stack, but along with the many ways to generate temps, this character might actually turn out quite well considering I am a striker and will be charging about, moving a great amount of grid spaces and utilizing that mobility to nova the scariest enemies on the field.

I appreciate your help in advance, here is my current build.

*I plan on Multiclassing Fighter so that I can go the Dreadnought route. I am open to any suggestions that might change this so that I can focus on the regeneration aspect of this character.*

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Fang of the Grey Wolf Uthgardt, level 4
Longtooth Shifter, Barbarian
Build: Rageblood Barbarian
Feral Might Option: Rageblood Vigor
Inherent Bonuses (Dm told us to use this)
Last of the Breed (Last of the Breed Benefit)
Theme: Pack Outcast

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 19, CON 17, DEX 12, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 16, DEX 12, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 8

AC: 19 Fort: 19 Ref: 15 Will: 15
HP: 50 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +12, Endurance +12, Perception +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, History +2, Insight +4, Intimidate +1, Nature +4, Religion +2, Stealth +2, Streetwise +1, Thievery +2

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Pack Outcast Utility: Body of the Wolf
Longtooth Shifter Racial Power: Longtooth Shifting
Barbarian Feature: Swift Charge
Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Pressing Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Desperate Fury
Barbarian Attack 1: Swift Panther Rage
Barbarian Utility 2: Feral Rejuvenation
Barbarian Attack 3: Brutal Slam

FEATS
Level 1: Hide Armor Expertise
Level 2: Longtooth Spirit Shifter
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)

ITEMS
Hide Armor x1
Adventurer's Kit
Potion of Cure Light Wounds
Climber's Kit
Throwing hammer
Badge of the Berserker +1 x1
Fullblade
====== End ======

You should read the barbarian handbook if you haven't already. 

Dex should be your second highest stat.  Something like 18 12 16 8 14 10 post racial boosts works well.  Or at least 18 14 14 8 15 10, with all your stat boosts going to str/dex in both cases.  The extra dex increases your defenses and initiative and lets you qualify for more useful feats.  The higher con riders aren't worth sacrificing those.

Also you have a good encounter regen power.  I am confused why you would want all those items when they duplicate what you can already do.
The Spellscarred feat is really good.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
You should read the barbarian handbook if you haven't already. 

Dex should be your second highest stat.  Something like 18 12 16 8 14 10 post racial boosts works well.  Or at least 18 14 14 8 15 10, with all your stat boosts going to str/dex in both cases.  The extra dex increases your defenses and initiative and lets you qualify for more useful feats.  The higher con riders aren't worth sacrificing those.

Also you have a good encounter regen power.  I am confused why you would want all those items when they duplicate what you can already do.

So, do they only take your highest regen at the moment? Also I read the handbook and many other sources. 43 AC, 45 Fort, 38 Reflex and 40 or so Will with only Improved defenses, Hide expertise and Second skin at max level seemed decent for a triker.

If I really want initiative I can take improved initiative as well as the feat that lets you roll your initiative twice. (but in all honesty the DM tends to take the highest player INIT vs a single INIT roll for the monsters, so it only really mattered when I dueled the Executioner in our  group. I lost initiative but still won, barely.)

How exactly do you get a spellscar?
43 AC is level+13. That puts you below the minimum for any role, much less a melee striker, who should be sitting at level+16, as a baseline.

NADs should be around level+12, minimum. At least two of them anyway, a lot of classes run into that issues of having the one low NAD they just can't patch, and there are other exceptions like Str/Con builds (Wardens, mostly) that have a different issue, but none of the exceptions apply here and you have two NADs under that. Far under.

If you want to be a Werewolf why aren't you using the Lycan theme? The one that actually makes you a Were-something?

Regeneration isn't cumulative.

Read the Barbarian handbook. The argument for Dex always being your secondary is gone over in a fair amount of detail there and you missed it.

How exactly do you get a spellscar?

FR people can just take it
Others would ask their DM 
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
43 AC is level+13. That puts you below the minimum for any role, much less a melee striker, who should be sitting at level+16, as a baseline.

NADs should be around level+12, minimum. At least two of them anyway, a lot of classes run into that issues of having the one low NAD they just can't patch, and there are other exceptions like Str/Con builds (Wardens, mostly) that have a different issue, but none of the exceptions apply here and you have two NADs under that. Far under.

If you want to be a Werewolf why aren't you using the Lycan theme? The one that actually makes you a Were-something?

Read the Barbarian handbook. The argument for Dex always being your secondary is gone over in a fair amount of detail there and you missed it.

Do not be presumptuous. I saw it but I planned on regen making up for it as well as Feats to improve NADS especially in Epic tier. But regen not being able to stack kind of defeats the purpose of that.

Pack outcast lets you be a werewolf as well, read the description. Mainly because of the level 5 pack outcast feature.
You didn't look up the rules for regeneration before basing a build around regeneration. This indicates, to me at least, that you have a very low understanding of 4e as a system. It turns out I was right. Regeneration could, in theory, make up for the additional damage you would take (though it'd have to be much higher then 15 post-MM3), but it can't make up for the increased afflication of status effects, forced movement, etc., the non-damaging components of succesful attacks, that are attached to basically everything monsters do in Paragon/Epic.

It is hardly presumptuous to notice you have no idea what you're doing and then treat you like you have no idea what you're doing. You asked if there was anything you were missing, one of the things you're missing is you picked the wrong secondary. The fact that you knew it was the wrong secondary is just odd.
You didn't look up the rules for regeneration before basing a build around regeneration. This indicates, to me at least, that you have a very low understanding of 4e as a system. It turns out I was right. Regeneration could, in theory, make up for the additional damage you would take (though it'd have to be much higher then 15 post-MM3), but it can't make up for the increased afflication of status effects, forced movement, etc., the non-damaging components of succesful attacks, that are attached to basically everything monsters do in Paragon/Epic.

It is hardly presumptuous to notice you have no idea what you're doing and then treat you like you have no idea what you're doing. You asked if there was anything you were missing, one of the things you're missing is you picked the wrong secondary. The fact that you knew it was the wrong secondary is just odd.

" I do not know a lot as I am relatively new to D&D, so I am looking for other options for adding more regen.....etc. "

There was no hiding that I was a newer player. To make this response short, I planned to take Dreadnought through Fighter MC. This will enable you to remove numerous types of save end conditions at the cost of HP as well as other boons from it such as resist damage as ecounter/daily powers, cannot remember which. This coupled with the barbarian abilities that enable me to remove or attempt to remove (via saving through) such conditions, along with the fact we have a leader, it seemed like it would work out fine.

It was presumed that I did not know something when I did, that is a presumption. Thank you for your input, there was helpful things in your brash responses.    
Another thing to note: there is an edit button for your posts, which you can use to avoid making three posts in a row.
Another thing to note: there is an edit button for your posts, which you can use to avoid making three posts in a row.

Thank you, my apologies.
Some of the history you might be missing here is that people have tried throughout the history of 4e to make defenderish builds that soak damage rather than avoid it, but they just never work out. 

Regeneration, temp hitpoints, and damage reduction are the vehicles to do this, but these things always fall apart at high levels because status effects are just that bad.  Not to mention that there generally just isn't enough support to make these methods viable in the first place.

Dreadnought may partially patch your status effect issue, but 1) it will be a significant hp drain, as well as taking up your minor actions, and 2) it is worthless against the worst effects like stun or dominate which take all your actions away.  And with your current defenses, those will-based stun/dominate powers will hit you on a 4 or 5 on the d20.

A Circlet of Arkhosia would help with this, but it leads me to another point - you will need specific items to make this work, and you might want to check with your DM if you will be able to get them.  Usually if a campaign is using inherent bonuses, that means it's going to contain few (or no) magic items.  And even if you can get what you need, he still might not be comfortable with you carrying around a sack of +1 Bloodfury weapons.
" I do not know a lot as I am relatively new to D&D, so I am looking for other options for adding more regen.....etc. "

There was no hiding that I was a newer player. To make this response short, I planned to take Dreadnought through Fighter MC. This will enable you to remove numerous types of save end conditions at the cost of HP as well as other boons from it such as resist damage as ecounter/daily powers, cannot remember which. This coupled with the barbarian abilities that enable me to remove or attempt to remove (via saving through) such conditions, along with the fact we have a leader, it seemed like it would work out fine.

It was presumed that I did not know something when I did, that is a presumption. Thank you for your input, there was helpful things in your brash responses.    

I didn't say you were hiding you were new. I said you didn't know what you were talking about. That could be because you're new, but it could also be because you didn't think critically. Making a regeneration build and not looking up the regeneration rules would be a good example of that. I mean, that was an opinion (not a presumption), but it turned out to be true. It also isn't rude to say you don't know what you're talking about when you don't, so nothing about any of my posts was presumptive (in the sense that you are using the word).

And you continue to do it. You can't remove stun, which believe me is going to be an issue, and now you are losing even more HP and still not regaining enough via regeneration to matter. The build, as presented, is very bad. So far I'm not even sure you are making striker baselines (as a striker that is kind of important), you aren't going to be the damage sponge you think you are and even if you succeed at being a damage sponge via regeneration, the DM can stun you and ignore you while he kills your party, or just flat out ignore you because you're not doing striker level damage anyway.

The build you linked has some notable differences. It has good defenses, as it uses scale+heavy shield. It is a defender, so just ignoring it is not the best option, and finally investing into toughness makes sense for a defender. Those are some very considerable differences.
Not so much from theory, but speaking from practice, regeneration while bloodied is probably the lowliest of defensive measures. Why? Because staying bloodied is generally a bad idea unless you are a revenant. Monsters do a lot of damage and you can easily get knocked unconscious, leading you to lose a turn or worse. And when healers heal you, you're typically no longer bloodied. Those regeneration hit points just rarely come into play. You're just better off spending your resources on other things, whether they be defensive, offensive, or utilitarian.

As far as defensive measures go, resistances, THP generation, more hit points, higher surge value, higher defenses, better saving throws, are all more valuable than regen while bloodied.

I'm not going to say regen is worthless, because in campaigns where PC's get taxed for surges, it is quite nice to have, but regen 2 is really all you need for that aspect of it, no sense trying to sink resources into pumping that.

This again, is more from experience than any theoretical analysis I've done.

some small tidbits of advice.

1st don't let the tone of the words written by some posters actually take away from the value of those words.

2nd you spend 2 feats for ac why not just make them chain prof and scale and be done with it might need to rework a few stats but it will help.

3rd as a melee character you will not only have to worry about the guy in melee but more then likely you will be in burst formation with the tank and any other melee so you become a prime target for a lot of nad attacks. if you were a ranged character i can see less concern but up front you will get hit.

4th mengu is so right about the practicality of it. you want to have regen for roleplay and play as a werewolf type cool concept but you need to temper your expectaions. use your regen as a surge saver still cool still fits concept.

5th if your group is roleplay heavy and have 1 fight a night play your guy if you are the sara* in your group and everyone else is dave brian and bob* then you are better off goin with suggestion 4.

*knights of dinner table. best comic ever
This is the Op forum. We optimize, and call out mechanically bad strategies.
With permission from my DM I am able to tweak my character for the time being (He was the one that initially said it would be fine after I told him what I was trying to make, just to get good CON mod and powers to make it worthwhile). He said there would be full access to most magical items if you are the same level and he will reward higher level items and relics when he feels the need. He also said if we get overpowered he will make the encounters harder because he likes seeing every fight come very close, and he is good at doing so.

I have taken information from this thread as well as researching myself. Thank you for the help, this is the current version that added more survivability, better arangment of scores, and tried to keep within what I was looking at before. Please feel free to critique the build (As in if it is not strikery enough, if it will do since this is not for pure optimization but still wanting to be useful). Thank you.

Fang of the Grey Wolf Uthgardt, level 30
Longtooth Shifter, Barbarian, Dreadnought, Demigod
Divine Spark Option: Divine Spark Dexterity
Divine Spark Option: Divine Spark Strength
Inherent Bonuses, Spellscarred
Akanûl (Akanûl Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 28, CON 18, DEX 22, INT 12, WIS 16, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 47 Fort: 46 Ref: 44 Will: 42
HP: 217 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 57

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +26, Athletics +33, Endurance +26, Heal +23

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +18, History +16, Insight +18, Intimidate +17, Nature +18, Perception +18, Religion +16, Stealth +21, Streetwise +15, Thievery +21

POWERS
Barbarian Feature: Rage Strike
Barbarian Utility 2: Shrug It Off
Pack Outcast Utility 6: Blood of the Wolf
Pack Outcast Utility 10: Soul of the Wolf
Dreadnought Attack 11: Inexorable Advance
Dreadnought Utility 12: Blood Iron
Barbarian Attack 13: Storm of Blades
Barbarian Utility 16: Spur the Cycle
Barbarian Attack 17: Vigorous Strike
Barbarian Attack 19: Desert Wind Rage
Dreadnought Attack 20: Line-Breaker Assault
Barbarian Utility 22: Unexpected Clarity
Barbarian Attack 23: Staggering Strike
Barbarian Attack 25: Stone Tempest Rage
Demigod Utility 26: Divine Regeneration
Barbarian Attack 27: Terrifying Howl
Barbarian Attack 29: World Serpent Rage

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Level 2: Master at Arms
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 6: Battle Awareness
Level 8: Deadly Rage
Level 10: Longtooth Spirit Shifter
Level 11: Gorebrute Charge
Level 12: Charging Rampage
Level 14: Superior Will
Level 16: Superior Reflexes
Level 18: Superior Fortitude
Level 20: Improved Rageblood Vigor
Level 21: Rapid Regeneration
Level 22: Second Skin
Level 24: Heavy Blade Mastery
Level 26: Long Step
Level 28: Epic Will
Level 30: Plagued Regeneration (Probably will change this due to it hurting team)

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Climber's Kit
Throwing hammer
Trollskin Elderhide Armor +6
Sash of Regeneration x1
Ring of Regeneration x1
Circlet of Indomitability (epic tier)
Badge of the Berserker +6 x1
Horned Helm (epic tier) x1
Bestial Elderhide Armor +6 x1
Shadow Band
Ring of Free Time x1
Boots of Adept Charging
Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier) x1
Gauntlets of Destruction x1
Boots of the Mighty Charge x1
Battlecrazed Fullblade +6 x1
Backlash Tattoo x1
====== End ======

Superior Reflexes and Superior Fortitude are generally not worth it compared to Improved Defenses. Also, grab yourself a paragon-tier Elven Chain Shirt.

Terrifying Howl is not Hurricane of Blades. Fix that. You're not a barbarian without Hurricane of Blades.

I'd suggest going with a gouge over the fullblade, because it's much, much better. I'd also suggest a Vanguard gouge and a Battlecrazed gauntlet axe. Trade Master at Arms for Spear Expertise and take Surprising Charge as early as possible (you make space for it by trading Superior Reflexes for Improved Defenses and Superior Fortitude for Surprising Charge). Be sad that you can't use Hafted Defense. Consider moving Charging Rampage back to epic by taking anything with +damage in paragon and retraining it in epic.

I'm sure there's a reason you went with Badnought instead of Winter Fury and didn't fit in Lasting Frost, but I don't know what it is. That route also gets you a dragonshard for +5 cold damage. There's Gloves of Ice for +4 cold damage, which is very very slightly better than Gauntlets of Destruction (which is essentially +3.5 damage, unless I'm missing a die somewhere - +0.5 per die rolled on Horned Helm and Vanguard Weapon). Maybe fit in Wintertouched if you can't find any other way to guarantee combat advantage (but make sure you can guarantee combat advantage, even if it just means making sure the defender knows what he's doing enough that you can charge into a flank).

Akanul is good, but so are Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy and Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much. Which you pick is kind of up for grabs, though I wouldn't keep Akanul with Winter Fury.

I... can't strictly disagree with Demigod, but I've always felt that Indomitable Champion and (especially) Destined Scion were better. Take a good, hard look at them, keeping in mind that Demigod's regeneration is once per day.

You have a Circlet of Bad to go with your Horned Helm, but you can't have both equipped at once. Sell off the bad one. Same goes for your armor (I'd drop Trollskin, since it doesn't swing encounters the way Bestial does). Same also goes for three rings. I know you're big on the regeneration thing, but the Ring of Regeneration is just not going to do as much for you as the others (and the regeneration doesn't stack). The sash is also completely redundant with your racial power, so either ditch it and take a Diamond Cincture or change your race (human is nice because you're feat-starved [and also Action Surge and Heroic Effort are very good] and your NADs could use a tiny boost, but half-orc is sexy too).

I'm sure I missed some stuff, but this is a good start.

In another Campaign I am playing in, I decided to step away from the tank and heavy armor love and make a Barbarian Striker. The initial goal which still stands was to make a Barbarian that relied on charging and/or being blooded and getting bonuses. But my initial plan changed upon making the character to take Pack outcast. My primary reasoning for doing this was to base the character on a werewolf theme and regeneration, so i've been trying to find as many ways to boost this as possible. This character is themed for Roleplay, but I would like to try and make him as optimized as I can. My main concern is that he will be primarily STR/CON, so his Initiative, AC, and 2 saves might suffer unless I cater to them. I took Hide Armor expertise and I plan on taking Second skin later on.

So far for my level I took the feat Longtooth Spirit Shifter so when I am blooded this would increase regen by 2. At level 20, using Longtooth Shifting (6 regen),  Longtooth Spirit Shifter (2 regen), and Blood of the wolf (1 + con mod = 6 Regen and the ability to end it to spend a surge) I will be sitting at 15 Regen while blooded. I am not sure if this will be useful until I am in play, but i'm devoted to the build now.

I do not know a lot as I am relatively new to D&D, so I am looking for other options for adding more regen. I did see two that I might plan on getting, one being taking vampire heratige and then taking Bloodied Regeneration. This does not seem optimal (also for RP reasons) though as it would cost 2 feats and you only gain regeneration until you're not bloodied or till the end of the encounter. The other is Rapid regernation which I would definently be taking at level 21 which would bring the regen up to 21. Also.

As for items I did see a few things of interest such as the Ring of regeneration (Daily, minor, reach 1 milestone 10 regen until end of encounter or use healing surge), Sash of Regeneration (5 regen bloodied), Ioun Stone of Regeneration (10 regen while blooded until end of encounter), and the regeneration potions.

Is there anything I am overlooking? Hopefully this would stack, but along with the many ways to generate temps, this character might actually turn out quite well considering I am a striker and will be charging about, moving a great amount of grid spaces and utilizing that mobility to nova the scariest enemies on the field.

I appreciate your help in advance, here is my current build.

*I plan on Multiclassing Fighter so that I can go the Dreadnought route. I am open to any suggestions that might change this so that I can focus on the regeneration aspect of this character.*

Fang of the Grey Wolf Uthgardt, level 4
Longtooth Shifter, Barbarian
Inherent Bonuses (Dm told us to use this)
Last of the Breed (Last of the Breed Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 19, CON 17, DEX 12, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 19 Fort: 19 Ref: 15 Will: 15
HP: 50 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +12, Endurance +12, Perception +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, History +2, Insight +4, Intimidate +1, Nature +4, Religion +2, Stealth +2, Streetwise +1, Thievery +2

POWERS
Barbarian Attack 1: Desperate Fury
Barbarian Attack 1: Swift Panther Rage
Barbarian Utility 2: Feral Rejuvenation
Barbarian Attack 3: Brutal Slam

FEATS
Level 1: Hide Armor Expertise
Level 2: Longtooth Spirit Shifter
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)

ITEMS
Hide Armor x1
Adventurer's Kit
Climber's Kit
Throwing hammer
Badge of the Berserker +1 x1
Fullblade
====== End ======

If you want to go Con secondary, hybrid Warden so your AC doesn't suck.

If you want to go Con secondary, hybrid Warden so your AC doesn't suck.

You quoted six paragraphs and an entire non-hidden build post for that?  

OP, your first build post was a level 4 character and your next was a level 30.  Are you truly expecting to hit level 30 in this campaign?  Even if you are, unless there's time-jump plot forwarding going on it would take a very long time to reach from level four.  You may consider shorter-term goals for all those levels in between 4 and 30.

If you are going the charge route, I would agree with going for the Gouge and all the charging goodies.  If you prefer a Fullblade and leaning off the charging a bit, then there's the handy Stand & Bang thread that goes into that and suggestions to make the most of it.
Superior Reflexes and Superior Fortitude are generally not worth it compared to Improved Defenses. Also, grab yourself a paragon-tier Elven Chain Shirt.

I will consider this.

Terrifying Howl is not Hurricane of Blades. Fix that. You're not a barbarian without Hurricane of Blades.

You are totally correct about this.

I'd suggest going with a gouge over the fullblade, because it's much, much better. I'd also suggest a Vanguard gouge and a Battlecrazed gauntlet axe. Trade Master at Arms for Spear Expertise and take Surprising Charge as early as possible (you make space for it by trading Superior Reflexes for Improved Defenses and Superior Fortitude for Surprising Charge). Be sad that you can't use Hafted Defense. Consider moving Charging Rampage back to epic by taking anything with +damage in paragon and retraining it in epic.

I decided to go with Gouge, but would the gauntlet axe not cost a feat? Pretty much using all your advice here for the specific weapon. Can you also take axe specific feats for Gouge?

I'm sure there's a reason you went with Badnought instead of Winter Fury and didn't fit in Lasting Frost, but I don't know what it is. That route also gets you a dragonshard for +5 cold damage. There's Gloves of Ice for +4 cold damage, which is very very slightly better than Gauntlets of Destruction (which is essentially +3.5 damage, unless I'm missing a die somewhere - +0.5 per die rolled on Horned Helm and Vanguard Weapon). Maybe fit in Wintertouched if you can't find any other way to guarantee combat advantage (but make sure you can guarantee combat advantage, even if it just means making sure the defender knows what he's doing enough that you can charge into a flank).

I planned for Dreadnought because we have no defender at the moment and I would very like to not die. Also my Blackguard/fighter went the frost route, but this is something else I will consider. Combat advantage granted by pack outcast should suffice. Enemy hitting team mate? Charge it for auto CA.

Akanul is good, but so are Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy and Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much. Which you pick is kind of up for grabs, though I wouldn't keep Akanul with Winter Fury.

Decided to go with Trained from birth. Rerolling Initiative? Too good to pass up.

I... can't strictly disagree with Demigod, but I've always felt that Indomitable Champion and (especially) Destined Scion were better. Take a good, hard look at them, keeping in mind that Demigod's regeneration is once per day.

I still think I want demigod.

You have a Circlet of Bad to go with your Horned Helm, but you can't have both equipped at once. Sell off the bad one. Same goes for your armor (I'd drop Trollskin, since it doesn't swing encounters the way Bestial does). Same also goes for three rings. I know you're big on the regeneration thing, but the Ring of Regeneration is just not going to do as much for you as the others (and the regeneration doesn't stack). The sash is also completely redundant with your racial power, so either ditch it and take a Diamond Cincture or change your race (human is nice because you're feat-starved [and also Action Surge and Heroic Effort are very good] and your NADs could use a tiny boost, but half-orc is sexy too).

Most of the items listed I was just testing out with. My character is not level 30, I was building a guideline. I will consider boosting nads a tiny amount.

I'm sure I missed some stuff, but this is a good start.

Can you also take axe specific feats for Gouge?

Yes,which is what makes the Gouge, such a powerful weapon.

I planned for Dreadnought because we have no defender at the moment and I would very like to not die.

Suggestion: kill things before they can kill you! If you have enough strikers/leaders in the party, defenders become less valuable.