DC: Scattering Stroke

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays random card is...

Scattering Stroke

I can't help but compare this to Mana Drain and boy does it fail.  I will admit I do like the clash mechanic as I think it's a lot of fun.  This card though is a little to expensive and the clash ability probably isn't going to be that helpful most of the time.

Discuss! 

The problem with Mana Drain is that sometimes it is just Counterspell. Now Drain is frigin' amazing, but that's because at worst it is Counterspell and at best it gives you insane mana advantage to exploit. Four mana might be worth a Drain in some situations, but this card isn't even reliable as that, sometimes it is just a Lay Bare.

My favorite clash cards are Adder-Staff Boggart, Lash Out, and Whirlpool Whelm. Because these cards are all fine if you end up not winning the clash, and incredibly solid if you do. Pollen Lullaby is really good in the decks where Fog is good, though I still think I prefer Feeling of Dread, Inaction Injunction, and Enervate (or Fire // Ice).

I once witnessed a player win the clash off a countered Darksteel Colossus. Fun times.

L1 Judge

To be fair, when it works, Drain is broken, and when it doesn't, it's just a hard counter. "Broken or good" isn't what I consider situational.

This, though, you can't just add randomness to fix Mana Drain. Especially not at four mana.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
To be fair, when it works, Drain is broken, and when it doesn't, it's just a hard counter. "Broken or good" isn't what I consider situational.

This, though, you can't just add randomness to fix Mana Drain. Especially not at four mana.

Not every deck can even use the extra mana off of Drain effectively. For example, Mana Drain is pretty awful in a deck like RUG Delver because Counterspell isn't good in such a deck and the extra colorless mana is close to useless. That said, if Drain were to be unbanned in Legacy there are certainly decks that would make use of it. It would be super sweet to play a tapoutish control deck with big threats, Mana Drain something, and then cast a Frost Titan or Karn Liberated. Or hey, you could even cast a Jace, the Mind Sculptor leaving mana up for more counters.

Anyway, my point is that Drain is borderline broken, but not as nuts as some people give it credit for. It might not even be good at four mana unconditionally, and having something just be a four mana counter is awful.

It can't be thrown into any deck. Only a build that uses high CC cards are where it will only work.

When countering spells with a CC of 4 or less, stick with Rewind.
Meh, I never liked clash.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!

Not every deck can even use the extra mana off of Drain effectively. For example, Mana Drain is pretty awful in a deck like RUG Delver because Counterspell isn't good in such a deck and the extra colorless mana is close to useless. That said, if Drain were to be unbanned in Legacy there are certainly decks that would make use of it. It would be super sweet to play a tapoutish control deck with big threats, Mana Drain something, and then cast a Frost Titan or Karn Liberated. Or hey, you could even cast a Jace, the Mind Sculptor leaving mana up for more counters.

Anyway, my point is that Drain is borderline broken, but not as nuts as some people give it credit for. It might not even be good at four mana unconditionally, and having something just be a four mana counter is awful.

At worst, Drain is just plain ol' Counterspell, though. (Now that manaburn isn't a thing.)

This, though...Nobody plays Cancel, they won't play this.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sign In to post comments