W/U Standard Control

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is my take a standeard blue/white control deck that I am trying to finalize, any suggestions are welcome.

LANDS

2 Evolving Wilds
4 Glacial Fortress
3 Hallowed Fountain
5 Island
6 Plains

CREATURES

2 Angel of Serenity
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Dungeon Geists
3 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Restoration Angel

PLANESWALKER

2 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

SPELLS

3 Detention Sphere
4 Dissipate
4 Negate
4 Oblivion Ring
2 Supreme Verdict
4 Syncopate

Delver of Secrets is terrible in this deck, you only have 14 instants // sorceries and no filter cards. Restoration Angel is also bad in this deck, you have nothing good to flicker with it so I don't really understand why it's here. You also shouldn't be running four Negate in your main deck. If you get an opening hand with two and your opponent is playing a deck with mostly creature spells, or the creature spells are the ones you want to counter, then you're screwed. You also need some earlier kill spells than Oblivion Ring and Detention Sphere I think, both costs three mana.
To go off of what Sleeping was saying, even [C]Mana Leak[/C] would work better than [C]Negate[/C], because it only costs , and it's great for early game or for big creatures. Plus, I love that it makes your opponent choose: Spell, or mana.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
To go off of what Sleeping was saying, even [C]Mana Leak[/C] would work better than [C]Negate[/C], because it only costs , and it's great for early game or for big creatures. Plus, I love that it makes your opponent choose: Spell, or mana.

Mana Leak is still in Standard?
I haven't the slightest clue. I don't play Standard.

Edit: It was last printed in M12. Not M13.

Yeah, it's legal. 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I would use mana leak but since rotation it is not standard legal. But as for resto angel, I didn't really put it in for blinking something out. I put it in as more of a defensive creature for an unexpected blocker. I aslo put delver in for a turn 1 creature. Besides I asked for suggestions, not for what I have in the deck that is wrong. So since you have no real input I see no reason to change it around.
You're absolutely right, it is your deck. But I must rebute that Mana Leak is legal... just barely, at that. I use this as proof: gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Printing...

Suggestion-wise, I think you should go for more creatures with Detain. [C]Azorius Arrester[/C] and [C]Azorius Justiciar[/C] were suggested to someone on another thread, and while they're low P/T, they have Detain. Keep the [C]Dungeon Geists[/C], since they're great for control. 

You could even look at [C]Cyclonic Rift[/C]. That would be a great control card.

Other cards like [C]Oblivion Ring[/C], [C]Arrest[/C], and if it's legal, [C]Ice Cage[/C] would work well too. The angel cards are good for keeping you alive, but that's about all I can see them doing.

Also, what are your intentions for having three [C]Geist of Saint Traft[/C] cards? They're not exactly control creatures, but they are great for attacking.

Feel free to disagree with me. This is all my opinion, and it's your deck
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White

I don't play Standard, so I don't know what cards are really solid in the format. I was just mentioning that those cards didn't have much synergy in the deck.

Augur of Bolas is a solid early blocker, but only good if you have more targets for it.
Azorius Charm is good.
Feeling of Dread or Inaction Injunction would be good for stifling early attacks.
Fettergeist or Lyev Skyknight would be a decent early creature. Serra Avenger, Skymark Roc, Talrand's Invocation, and Tower Geist are other decent options.
If you need a one drop creature, then Doomed Traveler would probably be best in your deck.
Might want to consider Drogskol Reaver as a finisher, though Entreat the Angels is your best option I think.
Jace, Architect of Thought or Martial Law would be good options with your Supreme Verdict.
For card draw there's Think Twice and Sphinx's Revelation.

@JararoNatsu
I think it's good in the deck. It deals six damage on the swing and has protection from removal. If your opponent wants to block it they have to leave an attacker back. And in that case you can always Inaction Injunction, Feeling of Dread, Silent Departure, or Grasp of Phantoms their blocker.
That gatherer list needs updated. Leak is out. If it was still in, you would see it in the pro lists. Rotated out the day RtR dropped.
There ya go-it, and all of m12 has rotated out.
@Sleeping

I have one [C]Geist of Saint Traft[/C] in my deck. It's great when I get a [C]Steel of the Godhead[/C] on it, and with my [C]Dungeon Geists[/C] out, I can deal direct damage with it. Check my thread out for my deck and tell me what you think XD
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Sign In to post comments